Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:53 AM

26 posts, read 208,884 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I’ve been reading many comments on this forum about people suffering from nasal/sinus dryness and or nose bleeds living in CO. I’m currently 26 years old and live in NJ. I’ve have been hoping/planning to move to CO for some time but after reading these comments I’m a bit worried. I used to suffer a lot from nose bleeds (problem with some weak blood vassals) but have been great ever since surgery. I’m worried that if I do move to CO the nose bleed problem would return. Am I right to be worried? Has or is anyone suffering from these problems? Do you get used to it? Any tips on how to deal with it?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 10:28 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,352 times
I have sinus problems here (persistent low-level headaches, sinus infections several times a year), but not nosebleeds. I *never* had sinus problems when living on the east coast. I seem to have sensitized to the humidity - if there is a sudden drop in humidity, I can tell because I get a headache almost immediately. On particularly dry days (rel humidity less than 20%, esp in summer), it is painful to be outside, as the air strips the moisture from my throat and sinuses in a matter of minutes. I have had to give up activities like swimming because of the sinus irritation. The only thing I have been able to do to mitigate this is to fill my apartment and office with humidifiers, and avoid being outside when it is dry. Well, and I take a lot of aspirin...
The headaches/sinus problems are one of the driving reasons for why I want to move back to the east coast. My sinus problems took about half a year to become noticeable, and have been getting progressively worse with time - I have been here for two years.

That said, some people find they have improved sinuses in dry conditions - each person is different.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:36 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
I have had sinus problems since I came to Colorado, I grew up in New York. In addition I had surgery for a deviated septum and I had to have a second operation because of continual bleeding. I still have some small problems. Physician advice using a water based moisturizer in the nose and using a humdifier at night. The dryness is a definite problem for many people.

You know you live in Colorado when you buy moisturizing skin cream by the case.

Livecontent

Old 11-05-2007, 07:42 PM

357 posts, read 1,286,224 times
I'm one of those trying to adjust, lol. I moved here from los angeles, a very dry place and still I'm suffering. I'm into nasal irrigation (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nasal-lavage/MM00552 (broken link)) and it works well. I do it twice a day, maybe three times, and have humidifiers throughout the house. let me say the nasal irrigation seems kind of gross but it's really quick and works. there are also some saline gels that might work for you.

In addition, I'm told that having your enzymes off might be a problem for the nose (dry mouth issues) so using biotene products (toothpaste, mouthwash) before bed will keep those enzymes healthy and help the nose.

finally, drink tons of fluids. I'm drinking lots and hoping it helps my nose adjust. when we buy a house (assuming we figure out where we want to live, lol), we'll install a whole house humidifier in addition to those in the bedrooms.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:33 PM

260 posts, read 1,438,381 times
Some people escape allergies here. Others get them here. I'm in the latter group. My Mom left her allergies behind in MN.

We bought a place up in Winter Park and that first year, several members of my family had nose bleeds. After we adjusted they went away and we almost never have them now.

The dry air and elevation is definately something that takes getting used to. Overall, I like it.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 AM

26,209 posts, read 49,017,880 times
IMO, you'll be fine. Saline spray is used by many. Remember, millions live here, nothing here to fear.

s/Mike

Old 11-06-2007, 10:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
There is a reason the highest up seats in a stadium, etc are called the "nosebleed seats". Altitude can cause nosebleeds. I second the suggestions made here for saline spray, water soluble moisturizers, humidifiers, etc. Some seem to get it worse than others. As for sinus, I don't think people are more prone to sinus infections here. High altitude can cause headaches as well.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:48 AM

17,996 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Well maybe if you'd keep your finger outta there, it wouldn't bleed so much.

Nose-Mining Capitol of the World! I swear! I don't even look over there anymore! When I'm stopped at a light and I look over at the car next to me, without fail! It could be church lady or the Queen! She's got her fricken knuckles showing and she's a diggin! It's gross!

Old 11-06-2007, 10:56 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,574 times
I've lived here all my life and my nose still bleeds. I accept that as a fact of life when you live in the desert.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:42 PM

49 posts, read 223,260 times
Some mentioned installinga "whole house humidifier'. I have never heard of that? What would something like that cost roughly in a 3000sq. ft. home for example?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: