Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 10:05 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times

Advertisements

A couple of thoughts here:

1. Edibles should be given somewhat a tax break and regular MJ should be taxed higher as the smoke is a public nuisance and one of the main health drawbacks. Also, you really can dose how much THC your getting with edibles pretty well. I think most people learn pretty quick how much is too much and don't continue to overdose.

2. There's a certain group of people that really don't like being sober and will be high all the time on something... For people that are always going to be high, weed is the least damaging option. Likewise if you took the weed away, these people would get high on something else. Same deal with opiates IMO, take those away and those addicts will find something else.

3. There are some big side effects -- loss of short term memory is the biggest one -- that really do compound over time if you don't have sober breaks. You can tell it when you have a conversation with a pothead, they can't hold one because they can't stay on topic.

4. Despite #3, weed is much, much better than alcohol IMO. Alcohol is a killer on your body (and mind too). Too much weed can mess with your mind, but the effects aren't as permanent and it's pretty benign on the body. And it really does make music and nature much more enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 03:43 PM

140 posts, read 139,909 times
I don't mess with the stuff myself but I wish more people would spend time in a border state to gain a real perspective. Gangs are still making a vast majority of their income from Marijuana. Colorado has the Mexican Mafia but picture if they literally ruled your community with an iron fist. That's what small town Texas has become. Corrupting the cops, corrupting city council members. We've even had the same worthless sheriff in Caldwell County for 20 years and its well known its because hes in cahoots with them. They even corrupt the Hispanic populations that were already long there into getting their business done and its making life miserable for everybody else. Of course you cant really talk about things like that anymore, because its not PC enough, but if they just legalized it federally it would at least stop them from making such a profit off of it. Not to mention you wont have anymore obnoxious hipsters moving to your city because they opened a dispensary.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:44 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,983 times
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or not but a side effect of pot is:

We live in a new sub division, home prices are $500k+ single family homes. Its comprised of young families and age 55+ nearing retirement.

Large property management companies are buying the homes and turning them into rentals. We now have a home with 4 early 20 yr olds dividing up the $3,500/mo rent to basically live out here and smoke weed. The neighborhood is working with the HOA but we are not sure how much we can do.

Now for all the live and let live BS and not worry about it.....thats fine and all but when you want to sell your home you invested in and you're showing it to another family and they see a bunch of kids high as a kite hanging out all of the sudden you're losing money.

Thanks CO!

Old 08-21-2017, 09:47 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or not but a side effect of pot is:

We live in a new sub division, home prices are $500k+ single family homes. Its comprised of young families and age 55+ nearing retirement.

Large property management companies are buying the homes and turning them into rentals. We now have a home with 4 early 20 yr olds dividing up the $3,500/mo rent to basically live out here and smoke weed. The neighborhood is working with the HOA but we are not sure how much we can do.

Now for all the live and let live BS and not worry about it.....thats fine and all but when you want to sell your home you invested in and you're showing it to another family and they see a bunch of kids high as a kite hanging out all of the sudden you're losing money.

Thanks CO!
I guarantee it'll start a s*&tstorm, but work with your city council to get a U+2 rule passed (no more than 3 unrelated people renting the same house).

Old 08-21-2017, 10:06 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post

Thanks CO!
LOL! Wow.

CO is the reason your house is $500K+ to begin with!

Relax. Your property value is safe.

LOL.

Stereotypes.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:58 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
You cannot possibly know how many "desirable" towns I have visited or lived in in CO. Plus your definition of desirable most likely does not match mine. That is a very good thing.

Unless you have some sort of proof of bums (homeless and bum are not the same thing) NOT flocking to Durango for the pot, your assertions are a sign of denial.
I gave you proof, you chose to ignore it because it doesn't fit your preconceived belief that people only come for marijuana. Your loss when you choose to ignore facts brought to light by actual studies.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:25 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
It's not my thing but I don't have an issue with it either...well, I don't care for the smell much.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:10 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
I gave you proof, you chose to ignore it because it doesn't fit your preconceived belief that people only come for marijuana. Your loss when you choose to ignore facts brought to light by actual studies.

I NEVER said anywhere that people only come for the pot. Talk about preconceived notions.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:57 PM

16 posts, read 23,069 times
Should have stayed medical only. But with rec legal, need better control and labeling of THC content. Weed smoke smells like skunk, but if it wafts over from the neighbours it isn't a big deal. I still think weed rots your brain faster than alcohol, and smoking it is as good for you as tobacco.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:08 PM

140 posts, read 139,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post

Most dont move there for pot but you definitely have them. Hell, there was homeless people panhandling for the stuff in downtown Durango, very open about it too. Oh well atleast its not meth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado