Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 10:11 AM

317 posts, read 474,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanzana92 View Post
I understand that if you've been in a quaint place for a long time and it starts to change, it can be frustrating. But change is inevitable and we should deal with it like adults. Many choose to forever hold resentment and act like children about it. What a sad way to live.
Perhaps all of us in this thread are touching on different aspects of the 'local vs. newcomer' dichotomy. I'm fully aware that as a relative newcomer to the state that I'm one of those contributing to the crowding of less populated areas of the state, but I have always adamantly insisted that I would not participate in a system that displaces long-time locals in favor of outsiders with deeper pockets. In the seven years I've lived here I've deliberately left two different towns that I saw pursuing unchecked growth and real estate speculation at the expense of families that have lived in the area for multiple generations.

I realize that combatting rising real-estate prices is an uphill battle even for the most determined of local governments, but there are some towns I've seen (and lived in) that have made next to no effort at trying to keep their towns affordable and accessible for long-time residents and workers.

That's the resentment that I think is deserved and needs to be addressed, much more-so than having to deal with more traffic or crowded trails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 10:14 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
What happened the last few years was not normal change. It was an avalanche of non-resident impacts that overwhelmed the roads, the lands, what workers who still had jobs in retail, and the supplies during a time of already-existing scarcity.

The growing percentage of investment buyers are removing housing (rental and purchase) from the “regular” prospective buyers. That negatively affects the entire community, despite some sellers getting rich.

I have never pretended to be born in CO, only to have lived in the state long enough to see some dramatic ups and downs, in addition to the expected slower growth. Yes, expected—not all of us think it should stay exactly as is forever.

The investment home buyers are the straw that broke the camel’s back. They are definitely causing an exodus—not necessarily of “locals,” but of the very workers needed to keep their investments bringing in the cash. Those workers are losing places they might have been able to rent or buy.

If you think residents come across as entitled, read the comments from people who think they bring only good to vacation areas, with no negative aspects. And you only have to overhear a few of said entitleds btchinf about stores or restaurants being closed or understaffed, to realize how THEY come across in places where many do not have much “disposable” income.

Last edited by pikabike; 03-18-2022 at 10:24 AM..

Old 03-18-2022, 04:30 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
I realize that combatting rising real-estate prices is an uphill battle even for the most determined of local governments...
Easy to lower prices.
1. Abolish zoning.
2. Abolish building codes.
3. Abolish hookup fees.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:02 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
"Easy to lower prices.
1. Abolish zoning.
3. Abolish hookup fees."

My views:
1. Slight maybe. More likely just a step or two back on some things, some places. Much easier on auxiliary housing units and mixed use. Easier on multi-family housing at some level, most places.
2. No.
3. No. But they should be reasonably aligned with cost of capacity expansion.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-18-2022 at 11:05 PM..

Old 03-18-2022, 11:09 PM

317 posts, read 474,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
"Easy to lower prices.
1. Abolish zoning.
3. Abolish hookup fees."

My views:
1. Slight maybe. More likely just a step or two back on some things, some places. Much easier on auxiliary housing units and mixed use. Easier on multi-family housing at some level, most places.
2. No.
3. No. But they should be reasonably aligned with cost of capacity expansion.
I think Dave was being facetious.

Old 03-19-2022, 11:13 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
I think Dave was being facetious.
I think so, too. If you see places that have nonexistent or shoddy enforcement of zoning or building codes, the reason why these things exist will become clear. Fees for hooking to utilities vary from place to place and fit the “pay as you play” idea.

I can think of noncompliant residences around here, where we owned a house before that, and before that, too. Some things pose a harm to nearby residents.

Old 03-19-2022, 11:21 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
We've become accustomed to Dave's wicked dry sense of humor. Other forums not so much.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-21-2022, 07:14 PM

6 posts, read 9,717 times
Thought I would share my perspective as a CB local. The economy in Crested Butte from the housing market to the job market has changed drastically in the past 5 or so years mostly due to the popularity of Airbnb and Vail buying the mountain. With less housing available for workers, the demand is overwhelmingly higher than the supply. The mountain, hotels and restaurants in town are relying increasingly on seasonal workers here on a J1 visa. There is still a core community of ski bums, local business owners, and long time locals, but the demographics are changing fast as we rely more on seasonal workers and home and rental prices are driven up by remote workers and second home buyers. All of this has created a resentment of people who come into the area with money they made elsewhere and buy houses that sit empty 10 months out of the year. Most locals work in service industries catering to wealthy tourists and work 2 or 3 jobs.

All of these problems are in no way unique to Crested Butte-it is the classic story of the resort town. However, Crested Butte is still adjusting to this new normal and it is hard for locals to see their town change in this way. Crested Butte is still a great place to live and visit, but it is a different place today. Not all locals are rude and confrontational about it, and I'm sorry you had this experience, OP.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:50 AM

432 posts, read 414,681 times
I lived in Crested Butte almost 30 years ago and all of the above was true.
I would add that CB is/was more into the 'locals only' mentality than other ski towns. There was always a lot of concern if you were hardcore enough or been there long enough to be a 'local'. Trustafarians would put duct tape on brand new goretex and be overly friendly with Tuck the bus driver trying to fit in.

I remember a conversation in 1994 about how millionaires were buying up town and the house we rented was 'probably worth a quarter million or more!'
Current Zillow estimate is over $2 million.

Old 03-22-2022, 09:10 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
The book "Powder Days" (just out) chronicles a lot of this in ski towns everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado