Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best Colorado Winter City for my preferences?
Denver 2 12.50%
Fraser/Winter Park 5 31.25%
Glenwood Springs 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 06:07 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpmcdonnell17 View Post
... If a city is within about an hour by public transit from the station, I would consider it....

Then why not plan your stop at GS, and if there's no snow take a bus ride to Aspen. (I'm ASSUMING there's bus service; if so, it shouldn't take more than an hour to get there.) It's a very pretty drive, and you'd probably enjoy a night in Aspen -- or just a day trip. Lots of skiing and snow boarding, but that just serves to support other activities that would interest you. Ski towns are usually pretty nice places to visit -- great restaurants, active bars and interesting museums and retail shops.

A room in Aspen will likely cost more than the same thing in GS, and it might even be difficult to find a room for one night at Christmas time. But Aspen should have snow on the ground at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 06:56 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
We've already suggested this a couple of times. I even gave him the name of the bus that runs down the valley to Aspen. I think the OP would like this a lot more than WP.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:06 PM

176 posts, read 146,215 times
I finally found some stats on the odds of snow in Glenwood Springs. It appears that there is about a 75% chance of at least an inch of snow on the ground with an average of 4-5 inches. I decided to spend the first day in Denver and extend the Colorado period of the trip by a day to spend two days in Glenwood Springs. The odds of snow seem pretty high, and I would think they would be even higher at Glenwood Caverns since it is over 7,000 feet in elevation. Even if there is none there, there is also the possibility of taking the bus to Aspen as some have mentioned.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:27 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpmcdonnell17 View Post
I finally found some stats on the odds of snow in Glenwood Springs. It appears that there is about a 75% chance of at least an inch of snow on the ground with an average of 4-5 inches. I decided to spend the first day in Denver and extend the Colorado period of the trip by a day to spend two days in Glenwood Springs. The odds of snow seem pretty high, and I would think they would be even higher at Glenwood Caverns since it is over 7,000 feet in elevation. Even if there is none there, there is also the possibility of taking the bus to Aspen as some have mentioned.
I don't think you'll be disappointed in any way. Do let us know how it all works out, and pix are welcome too.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado