Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,648 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I apologize if this breaks etiquette or is in the wrong section but I had a quick question. Taking a new job in Berthoud, CO towards the end of the year and wanted some advice on where to live.

A little background, I am a 25 year old single male and work full time with a large company in a agricultural/science role. I will be renting an apartment. Budget wise I'd like to keep it $1500 or lower but not necessarily a restraint. And I would like to have a 35-40 minute commute or less to Berthoud. From some quick research it appears living in a neighboring city may be the best bet than trying to find a place Berthoud. I know Loveland, Longmont, and Fort Collins are all a manageable commute.

Any suggestions on where to live? I would like some sort of night life/ bar scene and to be around some people in their mid to upper 20's to hopefully meet some friends since I won't know a soul. Obviously somewhere relatively safe would be nice as well so you do not have to worry about getting robbed walking home from the bar. Also, I do not want it to sound like I am looking for some raging college town. I currently live in a small town and love the vibe and access to outdoor activities and peacefulness, but it can get boring at times.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Kind Regards,

CN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 03:38 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,780,831 times
You put it in the right place since there are several cities being considered.

Any of the 3 would be alright. Loveland & Longmont at the shorter commutes. FC more happening for youth, especially events. If you go out during the week a lot, then maybe it would be break even on total travel time after the longer commute. If you mainly go out on the weekend the others are good & near enough. If going into Denver (and / or Boulder) is a strong interest, pick Longmont.

North Loveland is more a part of FC. South Loveland would be less traffic to get thru, but maybe older on average.
Decision may be affected by work schedule. If you travel when everybody else does, maybe pick the shortest commute. If you travel outside main rushes, less important.

Maybe try to find a 6 month lease and re-evaluate when you know more.

If you like smaller, quieter base, could also look at Johnstown.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-27-2017 at 03:51 PM..

Old 09-27-2017, 04:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
If into the 'entertainment' scene... night life, head towards Boulder, but keep the commute reasonable (That is daily, where entertainment is occasional.)

North Longmont gives you EZ reach to Berthoud, Ft C, Boulder, Greeley, and Denver (Pick your poison)

I really appreciated biking to work, Carter Lake, Lyons, Estes Park, Ft Collins, Greeley (from near Berthoud), so consider that.

If you ever get in the mode of 'seeking for a keeper' consider taking classes / community ed / city league sports in Greeley (I prefer AG / Teacher centric 'keepers'). ND and WY have amazingly capable (low Maint), friendly, warm, faithful gals (tall and athletic).

Ft C and Boulder entertainment may soon become too 'youthful' for a career / age 25+ guy (But youthful can be good too!)

Living in Berthoud was great too!

Something to consider... your activities... I like lap swimming, so Loveland had 3 indoor pools @ Schools ($0.75) which served me well. @ age 28 I moved to a location that has NO POOLS, (public or school or private) that has been no fun!

Colorado is GREAT for biking and 'crowded' recreation, WY is great for outdoor 'wilderness' sports (Climbing, hiking, hunting, fishing). Head up to Vedauwoo and Snowy Range ~ 1 -1.5 hr north of Berthoud. Free Hobo hot springs in Saratoga (Nice motorcycle ride from Berthoud after work during summer) We often looped over Trail Ridge (RMNP), then back over Poudre / Jelm / or Snowy Range.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:18 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,063 times
Any of the communities from south to north: Longmont, Berthoud, Loveland and up to Fort Collins would all be safe and more affordable than Boulder. I don't go out, so I don't know much about the nightlife, but Fort Collins has a lively bar/night scene I believe.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:54 AM

21 posts, read 29,172 times
Hi ColoradoNewbie,

As far as house prices\rent prices, Loveland and Johnstown may be the most reasonable. Colorado's house prices have gone through the roof recently (Pun Intended). Prices have far surpassed most income levels, except for the top 10%. Best to rent.

You might even consider living in Berthoud itself. It has a country feel to it, and you could still get over to Fort Collins or Boulder for some good times.

best wishes,

Interceptor

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-30-2017 at 10:19 AM..

Old 09-30-2017, 09:00 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,335 times
If you are looking for mid to late 20s there are several apartment communities full of those age groups in Loveland, and you could have a 10-15 minute commute to Berthoud.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:56 AM

824 posts, read 705,060 times
Boulder is your epicenter of rent cost. The further away from Boulder the lower the cost. You may get what you pay for so do what you want.

try meetup.com for your social requirements

best of luck in colorado
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado