Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 09:39 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,011 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,

My wife and I are on our last night of our vacation to Colorado, and yet again we feel saddened to leave to head home and leave the state. The title of this thread says it all, and I feel I HAVE to be missing something about Colorado, as everything simply seems amazing when we are here.

This was our 4th time to Colorado. We have explored Boulder, Denver, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs and this time Estes Park (Favorite so far). Each time we visit a new area here, we find ourselves saying the same thing “We would love it here”. First off we love the mountains & outdoors, obviously plenty of that here. The people are sooooooooooo friendly compared to where we currently are. Everything is super laid back, and quality of life just comes off as great. So that leads again to, are we missing or not seeing something?

We are seriously considering a move to the area. My work can take me anywhere and my wife works from home, so relocating is no issue. Everyone says the area is pricey (and it is definitely expensive), however we currently pay $2200 for a very small 2bd 1bath, so the thought of paying $1500 is welcoming. Taxes are lower compared to where we are now, and we simply aren’t happy where we are. We definitely prefer a suburb type area compared to living in somewhere like Denver.

Basically, what are the negatives that I am not seeing while here, and is Colorado a great place to settle down in like it seems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 10:12 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Hello to all,

My wife and I are on our last night of our vacation to Colorado, and yet again we feel saddened to leave to head home and leave the state. The title of this thread says it all, and I feel I HAVE to be missing something about Colorado, as everything simply seems amazing when we are here.

This was our 4th time to Colorado. We have explored Boulder, Denver, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs and this time Estes Park (Favorite so far). Each time we visit a new area here, we find ourselves saying the same thing “We would love it here”. First off we love the mountains & outdoors, obviously plenty of that here. The people are sooooooooooo friendly compared to where we currently are. Everything is super laid back, and quality of life just comes off as great. So that leads again to, are we missing or not seeing something?

We are seriously considering a move to the area. My work can take me anywhere and my wife works from home, so relocating is no issue. Everyone says the area is pricey (and it is definitely expensive), however we currently pay $2200 for a very small 2bd 1bath, so the thought of paying $1500 is welcoming. Taxes are lower compared to where we are now, and we simply aren’t happy where we are. We definitely prefer a suburb type area compared to living in somewhere like Denver.

Basically, what are the negatives that I am not seeing while here, and is Colorado a great place to settle down in like it seems?
It sounds like you've nailed it to me.

Colorado is generally a great place to live and the quality of life is high. In most of the state, particularly the more urban areas along the Front Range you mentioned, the economy is great with low poverty, low unemployment and high appreciation for home owners, all of which makes for a vibrant area.

The scenery and climate are obviously huge draws. With the low humidity, it's very easy to enjoy the outdoors year round, with only small periods of extreme cold or heat. Obviously, there are tons of opportunities for outdoor recreation of all forms, which is a big part of Colorado culture. Because of the great weather and low humidity, energy bills are generally low - at least they have been for us. We only need to use the a/c a few times a year.

The main drawbacks for most are the cost of housing and the tight labor market, both of which seem like you have covered.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:55 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I also hope I haven't overestimated the friendliness. Maybe it's more of a comment on how not-friendly my current eastern Mass. environment is. I've been told I belong elsewhere for my ability to start conversations. I honestly would be surprised if I ever made a new friend here near Boston and it seems very different in my future town in Colorado.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:00 PM

235 posts, read 355,402 times
Let's just put it this way: Vacationing in Colorado and living in Colorado are very different things. Every year tons of people move here inspired by a vacation experience (Colorado and towns like Estes are masterful in the art of the sale). And every year many others head back home disillusioned because the rose colored glasses come off. Beautiful state? Yes. "Too good to be true"? Yes as well.

Last edited by MountainEarth; 10-28-2017 at 11:18 PM..

Old 10-28-2017, 11:06 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
My dad traveled a lot for work/military & he said everywhere he went, people would tell him how lucky he was to “come from” Colorado.

I definitely hear more “happy I moved here” than “unhappy” comments. Also have known people who left, only to be back in a year or less.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:31 PM

Don't get me wrong. Been here 25 years myself for a reason. But read William Philpott's "Vacationland: Tourism and Environment in the Colorado High Country" sometime. You'll have a better understanding of what I mean by "the art of the sale." Colorado makes billions annually by selling people on vacation a "fantasy view" the state's tourist industry has been perfecting for 50+ years. Of course people outside our state think we're all lucky to "come from" Colorado.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkingliberal View Post
All that said, the Front Range is a great place to live and it's very nice to just hop on I-70 and dash up into the mountains whenever you feel the urge.
As long as you time it right. Otherwise you're in for a 4 hour crawl.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:55 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Just one thing: We have way too many people moving here. The infrastructure cannot keep up and the voters are reluctant to approve additional taxes.

My daughter was visiting friends in Denver yesterday. Upon returning to the Springs via I-25 by 5 PM, the traffic speed was reduced to a crawl. She said it reminded her of the 405 in LA.

I've learned to do my things at weird hours to avoid the crowds. I remember doing it that same way in Santa Clara, CA way back in 1972.

Nice places become so crowded that they cease to be nice places. I think that's the way we're headed.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:37 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I also hope I haven't overestimated the friendliness. Maybe it's more of a comment on how not-friendly my current eastern Mass. environment is. I've been told I belong elsewhere for my ability to start conversations. I honestly would be surprised if I ever made a new friend here near Boston and it seems very different in my future town in Colorado.
I'd say more friendly than the east coast, but less so than other places I've lived, including the Midwest and Southern California. The people have a reserved quality to them and tend to keep to themselves until you get to know them. Most all our neighbors are friendly and we have developed good relationships with many fo them. But, it's been my experience, Colorado is not the sort of place where people will strike up a conversation with you while waiting in the supermarket check out line or say thank you when you hold a door for them.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:18 AM

317 posts, read 474,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
But, it's been my experience, Colorado is not the sort of place where people will strike up a conversation with you while waiting in the supermarket check out line or say thank you when you hold a door for them.
I would agree, but only when it comes to parts of the Front Range - and not all of them. I've lived in south central Colorado now for close to three years and it's just as friendly here, if not more so, than any part of the Midwest I've been to. I think it just comes down to town size, really. But I think that applies to any state, not just Colorado. It's that small town culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado