U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:41 PM

97 posts, read 363,665 times

Advertisements

I was wondering a few things about these two areas. Boulder is my dream place to live, the only problem is the cost of living there. I know you pay for what you get and for the beauty, I am willing to give up a lot. I think of Fort Collins kind of as (*no offense at all to people in Ft. Collins) the "next best thing" for me personally. Let me give you a little background info. I am 20, my boyfriend is 19. We have been together for three and a half years and living together for a year and a half, almost two years when we move out there. We live in Albany, New York and I'm originally from Buffalo (I'm used to 7-8 months of snow and awkward weather). I work as a nanny and am in school FT for Early Childhood Education. I will be receiving my Teachers Assistant Certificate this year and I am going to try and hopefully get a job in an Elementary school or Pre-school before I officially move out there. We are financially doing great as we will be helping take care of his mother's horses and what we in New York call a "farm" (70 acres of land, a stable, two horses and chicken haha) in exchange for helping us move out there. (His parents also will be moving out there in a few years). We have a good amount in personal/joint savings, too. My boyfriend is in Trade School for Communications and will be done interning in October. He too, is really hoping to take his career out West. We are determined to do whatever it takes to move out there, anything it takes. Since I was young, moving to Colorado has been my DREAM. We, right now, have a two bedroom apartment which is WAY too big for us. We want either a studio or one bedroom because we just like a place to relax and hang out. The only option for getting a studio compared to a one bedroom would be for the view, if the price is high because of the view - we want a studio so we can pay the lowest price for the best place - does that make sense? I was thinking about taking a semester off to explore, get used to, and get involved in Colorado living. Are there any apartments we should really consider? Are there any we should steer clear from? Our rent max. would ideally be around 600-700 but hopefully we can find something less (before utilities). We'd like a safe, secure area, beautiful views, surrounded by activities and things to keep us occupied, we'd like college students near by, while still being able to come home and relax. Should we bother looking into Boulder right now or just wait it out? Does Fort Collins sound fitting? How is job availability/pay in our goal fields out there? Are there areas outside of Boulder that fit these mentioned characteristics but still are safe and nice for college students? I'm sorry this was so long, I just didn't want to leave anything out. ANY help would be amazing, thank you all so much for your time!

Last edited by ColoradoHereWeCome; 03-19-2008 at 02:12 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 02:06 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,746,406 times
Fort Collins would fit all of your criteria. Especially your rent budget. You can easily get a studio apartment in Fort Collins for less than $700. With a mountain view too.

I personally think Fort Collins is just as appealing as Boulder. Downtown FoCo is really neat and it's even bigger than Downtown Boulder. There are university students in each city (CU being in Boulder, Northern in FoCo) so you will be surrounded by peers that have the same interests as you no matter which city you choose. Another plus to Fort Collins is that it is closer to Estes Park and all the skiing that comes with it.

Either city is great but you'll save a lot in FoCo!

Old 03-19-2008, 02:10 PM

97 posts, read 363,665 times
Thank you Danny (assuming that's your name Haha!) Every time I come on here somebody says something to get me even more excited about moving there and you've done it today! I'm going to welcome others to continue doing the same, this forum is really helpful.

Does anyone know about these two fields of work? Demand/Pay? Thanks again!

Old 03-19-2008, 02:16 PM

5,610 posts, read 21,510,150 times
I've spent a lot more time in Boulder than in Fort Collins, but from what I've seen of Fort Collins, especially last summer, I was impressed! I personally find Boulder to be a very phoney place, run by very hypocritical people. Fort Collins is much more down to earth, real, friendlier, and laid back. I'm also not a fan of CU Boulder at all-- CSU has my vote. I don't know a single person at CSU who doesn't love it up there!

Old 03-19-2008, 02:57 PM

2,755 posts, read 12,125,860 times
I've actually lived in both Fort Collins and Boulder. I think both are great places to go to college. Right now in my life, I'd probably prefer Fort Collins, but at one point I probably would have preferred Boulder. It is true that Fort Collins is a lot more of a "normal" college town than Boulder. Love it or hate it, Boulder is somewhat unique place -- it's an experience you can't quite replicate in Fort Collins.

As for the expense, for a studio/1br, you'll probably be out an extra $200/month or so in Boulder versus Fort Collins. Maybe it'd be worth it to you, maybe not. You have to decide.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:11 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,149,329 times
If views are a high priority, keep in mind that there is a vast difference between the two. Boulder is right at the base of the foothills. Your views would mainly be the Flatirons if you are lucky.
The skiing comment - if you are talking Alpine skiing then you'd be closer in Boulder. There is not that kind of skiing in Estes Park - plenty of cross country skiing though in the the National Park is to be had.
We haven't spent enough time in Ft. Collins to really compare the two. We are in Boulder a lot. My husband worked there for years, we are still heavily involved in a non profit over there, and most of our friends live there. I personally love Boulder - but I'm also very liberal, so the things that some complain about, don't bother me at all. The non-profit we are involved with is heavily tied to CU. Our son wants to go to CU for engineering. So we most definitely lean towards Boulder. It's hard to really get a vibe for a place with a quick visit.
We live on the very southwest edge of Longmont. 15 minutes from Boulder - great views of the mountains (am looking at them right now through my office window). Less expensive to live here, but within a short drive over to Boulder.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:11 PM

90,377 posts, read 108,830,705 times
Quote:
How is job availability/pay in our goal fields out there? Are there areas outside of Boulder that fit these mentioned characteristics but still are safe and nice for college students?
I would definitely suggest looking at a few threads about jobs in Ft. Collins. As is the case everywhere, there is a reason apts are cheaper in FC than elsewhere. Both job avail. and wages are low in FC. There are loads of people who go to school there and want to stay after graduation. You might try the area around the U of Denver. It is in the city, where you may find a better job situation.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:29 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,746,406 times
Another plus about Fort Collins is that they have a great view of the mountains whereas Boulder only has a view of the foothills because it is so close to the mountains. I also don't care for CU as much as CSU because CU is a really preppy school with a major drug problem. Sure, CSU has its share of drug issues bit CU takes the cake. CU is the home"trust fund kids" and CSU is just way more down to earth. Both have a lot of "granola" types so too so it's pretty entertaining!

I may be biased though because I am planning on CSU for school next fall...

Old 03-22-2008, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,885 times
I LOVE FORT COLLINS! I have lived here for 5 years and haven't changed my view. The job market here is tight is all fields.... so be prepared for that!

Fort Collins is family friendly while still being friendly to everyone else. It is a great composition of every type of people. Very relaxed and safe!

I have never lived in Boulder but would highly recommend Fort Collins!

Old 04-08-2008, 03:47 PM

2,015 posts, read 5,173,133 times
Default FOCO=down to earth

As you prob know the saying then of "trust fund hippieville", I spend a lot of time in Boulder but FOCO is a lot more down to earth. And CU takes about 50% out of staters who pay out of state tuition while CSU takes 75% residents, at resident tuition which you can get after a year here, so you might want to consider that as well. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado