Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 09:28 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

Advertisements

Is Denver and Boulder considered "High Country"??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2006, 11:29 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Default High Country vs Front Range vs Western Slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Is Denver and Boulder considered "High Country"??
Boulder butts up against the mountains, is not High Country. Denver is 15-20 miles east of the mountains, on far western edge of Great Plains, not High Country. On a map, see the area served by I-25; this north-south corridor is known as the Front Range (the east side of the Rockies). Cities along the I-25 corridor are not High Country.

There is also the Western Slope (west side of the Rockies) and that would be cities like Grand Junction, also somewhat desert-like.

The High Country is the high mountains in the center of the state, all the places you see on the news (Vail, Aspen, Breckenridge, Winter Park, Telluride, Ouray, Silverton, Leadville, Steamboat Springs, etc). These are the areas that get the huge winter snows, skiing, and the avalanches. Also the huge home prices made famous by the very wealthy.

The larger region of CO, WY, MT, ID, UT, and parts of NM, NV and AZ etc, is often referred to as the "Inter-Mountain West" (think "Mountain Time Zone).

When you see garish TV news of semi-trucks jack-knifed on a snow-covered mountainside near Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70, way west of Denver, that is the High Country, and that is the image my pals back east think of when they think of Colorado. Wrong! My home is in Colorado Springs, along the Front Range, along I-25, with a view of the mountains, elevation 6650, but on that western edge of the grassland prairie. The official nomenclature for this area is "alpine desert" as we get about 15 inches of precip a year along here. A few miles east of here, it is flat - all the way to St Louis, MO.

s/Mike

Old 09-05-2006, 06:48 PM

61 posts, read 377,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Been There View Post
You are right elfyum, I lived in Colorado Springs for two years and it was the coldest place on earth next to Antarctica. To say it is mild there is a real joke! Also they don't tell people about all the gangs, murders, robberies and all that there. I got out of there because of crime and the COLD! I'd suggest you rent a place in winter there before you commit to buying a house there. These guys who are telling you what a great place it is may be realtors! BEWARE!
I would agree with Mike back East totally. Springs is very conservative, but very livable and pleasant. The weather can be varible, not much snow last winter and pretty mild; may be different this year. 300 days of sunshine here, I will never leave Colorado, and wished I had moved out here 30 years ago instead of 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado