Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 02:47 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,925,191 times

Advertisements

I have seen a prior thread, which is closed now, that relates to US 24 between Colorado Springs and Limon and would like to comment on that stretch of road. I have been on that stretch of road numerous times when visiting relatives in Colorado and feel that the strech should be widened to a freeway or a four-laner with at grade intersections (with the capability of being widened and upgraded to a freeway in the future) and bypassing the smaller towns for safety reasons and to avoid plucking homes and businesses that may have limited means of moving elsewhere.

In recent years, I go through Denver and take E-470 around Denver and take I-25 (also can be a pain) down to the Springs to avoid US 24 (which I despise at this point) and find that to be more convenient. If US 24 was upgraded, I would consider going on that route.

With the traffic that is on the road and the 65-70 mph speeds, an interstate or four-lane divided highway would be more appropriate. Unfortunately, funding and priorties are a hinderance. No road system is perfect, but fixing this stretch will be very be beneficial for many. I would like to see what your opinion or insight is relating to the US 24 between Limon and Colorado Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 07:22 PM

With Colorado Springs having 360,000 plus people, it strikes me that the city has one freeway going though it, while Sioux Falls, SD and Des Moines Iowa are smaller with 150,000 plus and 200,000 respectively and have three interstates. US 24 seems like a logical route for a freeway and would improve travel for those going to Colorado Springs and from there.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:58 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
I agree -- should be a full limited access freeway from Limon to COS. A bit of foresight would have probably given us that route years ago, but perhaps nobody foresaw how much COS would grow. To make matters worse, there is a lot of growth in Colorado Springs following the road out to the northeast, so expansion will be imperative.

Routing 24 THROUGH the Springs is likely another matter -- between Powers Blvd and I-25 there's really no practical way to put a freeway, so the route will likely have to continue following the MLK bypass to the south.

Unfortunately, the money just isn't there due to the funding mess we have here in the state. I think in a few years we'll have solved some of the legislative barriers preventing state agencies from getting needed funding, but I wouldn't expect much happening on US-24 for he next five years at least.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
I agree -- should be a full limited access freeway from Limon to COS. A bit of foresight would have probably given us that route years ago, but perhaps nobody foresaw how much COS would grow. To make matters worse, there is a lot of growth in Colorado Springs following the road out to the northeast, so expansion will be imperative.

Routing 24 THROUGH the Springs is likely another matter -- between Powers Blvd and I-25 there's really no practical way to put a freeway, so the route will likely have to continue following the MLK bypass to the south.

Unfortunately, the money just isn't there due to the funding mess we have here in the state. I think in a few years we'll have solved some of the legislative barriers preventing state agencies from getting needed funding, but I wouldn't expect much happening on US-24 for he next five years at least.

I know that you are right with running a freeway through Colorado Springs is tough. I have heard from relatives and local media (sometimes I keep up with the Gazette online edition) that getting roads widened or considering a freeway through the city will get a lot of people screaming, the far left for environmental purposes and the far right for the pork project purposes. The city is similar to Sioux Falls where East-West traffic is atrocious. Sioux Falls is due to the river flowing in a U-Shape and Colorado Springs has one interstate and I am sure that the locals know many other reasons.

Funding is issue, but if the the safety and logic behind widening US 24 gets pushed hard, it will get funding and priority eventually. The local communities and those who are for it need to push the idea and push it hard and let the local poticians along with their congressional delegation know that widening US 24 is important to them and the state.

Cities in South Dakota pushed for widening of US highways for safety and traffic reasons and have been successful, despite challenges in funding. In South Dakota, it seems like politicians and local communities and citizens pull together to get a project equivalent of widening US 24 from concept to reality. Up here, members from both political parties work together towards a common goal, despite their differences. It can be done, but requries persistence (this is very imporantant) and patience (with government, it does not happen overnight).

I believe that the road will get widened, but I do not forsee it for another 10-15 years down the road. By then, there will be more traffic accidents and deaths (unfortunately), stressed-out motorists, and missed opportunities for large and small towns alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado