Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 02:07 PM

3,959 posts, read 4,329,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Denver is actually larger than any city in FL except Jacksonville, and by a pretty good margin. That's just the city of Denver, not the whole metro area.

If we're talking metro areas, Denver is still larger (if Boulder is included) than anything in FL except the Miami metro area. It is just about even with the Tampa-St Pete area, but having just moved from there last year, I can tell you that Denver feels larger than Tampa, more like a big city (possibly because Tampa and St Pete are separated by the Bay, more broken up)
Looking at metro areas, FL has three nearly as big or bigger (Miami 5.9m, Tampa 2.9m, Orlando 2.3m) while in CO we only have Denver (at 2.8m). Colo Spgs is a distant second at 450k and El Paso County at 700k is still far behind Jacksonville at 1.4m. Population density in FL as a whole is also entirely different than it is in CO. Most of our population is concentrated along the I-25 stretch. But in so far as big city feel, I can't comment on FL metros. They do seem to have a whole bunch more highways and interstates through them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougoleahcoco View Post
Thank you for this information! I didn't even think of all the closer new places I will be able to adventure like San Diego, great to know. I noticed CO Springs airport has some decent routes as well.
Benefit of being centrally located is flight prices may be less and the Cos airport is adding a lot of new flights these days. My last trip to Seattle flew out of Cos for less than Denver. i fyou want an internationa flight, Denver isn't far up the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 01:09 PM

1,406 posts, read 789,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Looking at metro areas, FL has three nearly as big or bigger (Miami 5.9m, Tampa 2.9m, Orlando 2.3m) while in CO we only have Denver (at 2.8m).
So...exactly like I said?

Old 05-16-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
So...exactly like I said?
Partially. Your first sentence seemed totally off base and is contradicted with your second paragraph. The second paragraph I'd agree with except for feel. I have not been in enough FL cities to have an opinion.

Quote:
Denver is actually larger than any city in FL except Jacksonville, and by a pretty good margin. That's just the city of Denver, not the whole metro area.

If we're talking metro areas, Denver is still larger (if Boulder is included) than anything in FL except the Miami metro area. It is just about even with the Tampa-St Pete area, but having just moved from there last year, I can tell you that Denver feels larger than Tampa, more like a big city (possibly because Tampa and St Pete are separated by the Bay, more broken up)

Old 05-16-2018, 02:12 PM

1,406 posts, read 789,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Partially. Your first sentence seemed totally off base and is contradicted with your second paragraph. The second paragraph I'd agree with except for feel. I have not been in enough FL cities to have an opinion.
What's contradictory? The first paragraph talks about just the actual cities, while the second talks about greater metropolitan areas.

The city of Denver has just under 700k. The city of Jacksonville has about 900k, larger than Denver. The next largest city in FL is Miami, with about 450k. So the city of Denver is larger than any city in FL except Jacksonville. Talking actual city limits, not metro areas.

The Denver metro area has almost 2.9 million. Jacksonville itself is a large city, but its greater metro area has only 1.5 million. The Miami metro area includes several other large cities, and has over 6 million. The Orlando and Tampa-St Pete metro areas are both about the same size as Denver.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:42 PM

Alright, point taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado