Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,891 times

Advertisements

Looking for info on water, sewer, gas, electric rates and problems in Colo.City. Found all other info on the City-Data web site. We have land there now but may buy or build instead. My son who lives in the Springs said that they had very high prices on propane and electric. We live in the foothills of Denver now and really really love the small town atmosphere in Colo. City. We are planning a retirement there but are concerned with the rising cost of gas to drive anywhere and or cost of utilities to heat a 1700-2000 sq.ft. home, plus basement. I know they already have some covenents there. Any insight would be helpful. City-data showed a problem with sewer but no thread to the problem. Are generators allowed in case of outages. Can we install solar?
Thanks, Kari
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 11:46 AM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
I'm sorry for the long delay.

I don't live in Colorado City now, but my family lives here and I work here. I live elsewhere in Pueblo County though.

I use Propane as most or all do in Colorado City and this is one thing that I can comment on now. I am at war with my propane company. My bill went way up just this February and I was left with a huge bill. We used to be metered which is a rip-off to begin with, but the advantage was monthly billing; you pay each month what you use, regardless of what's in the tank (500 gallon tank which the propane company owns). Better options are to own your own 1000 gallon tank and to pay in advance for propane in off months, but it's limited now as to how much you can buy at the better rate. It's becoming a real racket. You may someday get the opportunity to go with natural gas. I hear that if you get that option, you say "YES" right up front or you'll be penalized monetarily if you change your mind down the road.

I get a bill for over $500.00 dollars. In previous winter months, it's been between 180 to 220. Now I call the company up and complain. They explain to me that I'm paying 2.70/gal now. I said that I'm changing companies. Long story short, I talked with the manager and he said that I can bypass the metered regulator and pay by tank level and get it for 2.20/gal. I think Colorado City is at about 2.60+/gal at the lowest.

Well the manager told me to not freak out when I get the new bill because it would be high due to paying for what's left in the tank. I did freak. In late Feb, early March, my bill was about $948.00. I called back with concern and told them how the horse ate the cabbage. I told them that I'm paying 2.20 per and they got the bill down to about 550.00 The other day, I checked the tank and it's at 10% (85% is max). Last week I asked them when they last came to fill the tank. They said late January. (Can someone help me with the math?) Now they came and put 200 gallons in and I'm at 50%. The current bill is 532. I owed 11.00 previously. I'm being charged $2.64/gallon. We turn the heat down to below 60 when we leave for work and have been trying to get by at 64 degrees when we get home from work and turn it down to 62 at night.

We are always cold in the house. We use blankets to watch TV. I wish we had an electric water heater. I wish we had a fireplace or even better, a pellet stove (I think). We do not live in the mountains. I know that summer is just around the corner, but this is killing me.

Water in Colorado City is 40 minimum and 100+ to keep you Kentucky Bluegrass green in the summer (another thread for another day). Electrical is about 118 per month. Your water bill includes water and waste (sewer).

With the power outages in Colorado City, a generator is a great idea. You will have brief outtages from time to time. Once in a while, you'll get 2 hour + outages, but I don't think it's long enough to worry about the freezer.

You have cable TV with HD DVR receivers if you need. Decent enough internet if you need.

That's all I can think of for now.

Now that my mail box is open again, you can DM me for details about propane companies.

You may get second opinions on utilites, this is info from my parents.

Some people don't have basements due to the water table (weird, there's not usually a whole bunch of water here until lately. Most of that goes to feed the 27-hole golf course). It depends where your property is.

I don't know about covenents yet or the restrictions on stuff like solar, but this home built back in the early 80's by some design/builders that I used to work for built this "GREEN" home for our friends from Chicago and it still stands today;

This is their view of the Greenhorn;

And this is my parents backyard;

Good luck.

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-01-2008 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: addition and clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: