Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 07:56 PM

18 posts, read 27,018 times

Advertisements

As the title suggests, I am looking to take my family and flee California. Colorado has been of much interest to me since I have been able to visit on a couple of occasions.

Money and work is not a problem for me, since I am sure I can get a transfer for work through LA to Denver. I work in accounting.

My main skepticism of Colorado is it looks like it's in the process of following California's mistakes on a political scale. What is the politics like in Colorado. As someone who is very conservative, but not religious, I was wondering if it would be a good area for me to raise my family? Specifically, surrounding Denver cities; Castle Rock, Fort Collins, Boulder, Aurora, Colorado Springs, etc.

I love to hike, watch sports, and snowboard and prefer colder weather, so again, activity wise, Colorado seems like a great fit for me.

Again, I really must emphasize, I am particularly interested in the political climate there. Are Republican residents represented? I have seen that Democrats are starting to take control in recent years, but is this a push and pull thing going on or is going that way indefinitely (like California)? I use to be a Democrat by the way, but after seeing what California is doing to its citizens, I made the switch in 2016. My wife and I decided, if Travis Allen doesn't win governor, we are moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 08:17 PM

1,013 posts, read 977,835 times
I hope you get answers from knowledgeable people. I left California long ago. Clearly other states are following their misguided lead.i sometimes wonder where if anywhere I can go next.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:20 PM

Where did you move to? Living here is stressing me out. Our governor is an idiot.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:34 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Boise, not Denver, is your destination.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Boise, not Denver, is your destination.
Why not Denver and what does Boise have to offer?

Old 05-21-2018, 09:49 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
It has been awhile since Colorado has had a Republican Governor but Republicans sometimes control the state Senate or House (control Senate now) and recently took a US Senate seat. The US House delegation is 4-3 Republican.

Voter registration (last I saw) is 52% Dem. / 46% Rep. In Idaho it is 65% Rep. / 32% Dem. (with a few independents).

Colorado will probably elect Democratic Governors 70-80% of time in next handful of elections, barring unique circumstances. This upcoming election could go either way. Idaho will probably go 100% Republican, short of some huge late breaking scandal and even then it probably still goes Rep.

If living around other conservatives in CO is important to you, then you might want Colorado Springs or possibly Castle Rock for a Denver commute.

If you want to consider Boise, the Boise forum has thousands of threads. There also have been at least a dozen Denver vs. Boise threads. I listed some of them sometime fairly recently. Browse or use search tool to find stuff of interest.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-21-2018 at 10:29 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 09:51 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Might want to look at the western slope.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Tad late.
Colorado was californicated in 1960’s

There is little difference today.

MT, WA, OR fell also. ID and WY have a small contingent of reasonable citizens, but there are CA influences in all the western states.

Consider moving overseas. (Or maybe ND or AK)

Old 05-22-2018, 05:05 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
I'm not even sure what "conservative" means anymore. Personally, I'm a political atheist.

However, here in Colorado Springs you will find lots of two parent traditional families who focus on teaching their kids to be respectful, work hard, and learn skills that enable them to support themselves.

We also have several high performing public school districts that do a good job educating our kids.

We generally try to minimize new taxes although we recently approved a sales tax increase to fund road maintenance. That program is working well.

Although our reputation may peg us as a society of religious nuts, that's really not true. I have quite a few agnostic friends.

I escaped Santa Clara, California in 1972. Of course, with perfect hindsight, I should have bought a few rental houses.

My kids live in San Fran. The cost of living there is beyond reason. I bet they will be shocked when they do their taxes for this year.

I told them they could move in with me while they searched for a house in Colorado. They might go for it.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:12 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Weld County is known for its conservatism, as is El Paso County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado