Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2018, 05:34 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,054 times

Advertisements

I've read several previous threads on the SLV, but most of it was in regard to rural living, farming/gardening, and especially water rights. I'd just like some information about the towns there, anything noteworthy or interesting. I moved to CO last year and I'm looking to get out and explore some of the less well known corners of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 05:50 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
The Alamosa area is fine for exploring....Great Sand Dunes.... and there's a tourist train from Alamosa to La Veta that often schedules concerts up on the mountain and much more to see...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:35 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Crestone, several dozen religious / spiritual communities and retreats. Great views.

Villa Grove, some old buildings & history.

Bonanza, ghost town / summer homes.

Blanca, views, off-griders.

Monte Vista / Del Norte, old houses on tree lined streets. Access point to Rio Grande back toward South Fork. Outdoor rec options.

Manassa, Jack Dempsey museum.

Great Sand Dunes also has Medano Creek area headed towards mountains. A different part of the ecosystem and different views to the dunes.

Conejos River gets pretty as you reach the mountains, especially in fall.

Penitente Canyon, rock climbing, history.

Antonito, train.

San Luis, oldest church in state.

General stores, antique places here & there. Check a guidebook.

Could carry on north to Westcliffe, small ranching town or south into NM along Rio Grande (or east to Raton, Sugarite Canyon, Capulin Volcano, etc.)

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-01-2018 at 10:59 PM..

Old 07-01-2018, 10:39 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
If you're planning on going to the valley within the next couple weeks plan your route carefully. US-160 is closed between Fort Garland and La Veta due to the Spring Fire, and US-285 is closed between Fairplay and Antero Junction because of the Weston Pass Fire.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:32 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If you're planning on going to the valley within the next couple weeks plan your route carefully. US-160 is closed between Fort Garland and La Veta due to the Spring Fire, and US-285 is closed between Fairplay and Antero Junction because of the Weston Pass Fire.
I'm aware (I work for CDOT keeping track of all these closures), I'm keeping an eye on those. Thanks for the heads up though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
San Luis, oldest church in state.
Oldest town in the state, if I'm not mistaken?

Old 07-02-2018, 09:44 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Websites that are careful say oldest continuously occupied town or first permanent settlement. Since 1851.

For the history before, this article provides a summary In search of Colorado’s oldest town – Colorado Central Magazine

Old 07-03-2018, 07:11 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
NW Crow has a good summation.

Other things in the Valley; visit CO Gators Park, visit a bison farm, visit an elk ranch (the 12-15' tall fences are a bit shocking at first), visit the alien viewing center, vistti Cano's Castle made of repurposed material, see the Indiana Jones childhood home from "The Final Crusade", and of course there are the Great Sand Dunes National Park and the Cumbres and Toltec railroad.

Be forewarned that the valley is big. It can take an hour or more to traverse it, so see some things will take a deliberate effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado