Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 08:22 AM

1,013 posts, read 977,044 times

Advertisements

I never really heard of this behavior except to avoid carjacking, so I will have to look for it now. So if someone does this, they should be looking in their rear view mirror the whole time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 10:03 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,493,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Over-cautiousness. It shows up in other ways too.

You have to be very a cautious/defensive driver here in Denver...

I've seen way too many people run red lights and stop signs in Denver that create accidents... I've seen a Hummer run the red at Colorado BLVD and Alameda that destroyed a small hatchback.

It's scary how many cars run through, so much that I avoid driving on Colorado BLVD all together. Trucks are the worst...

Old 06-28-2018, 12:44 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
I honestly wonder the same thing. It’s even more awkward when I pull up to the crosswalk and the car to the side of me is a full car space back lol

Old 06-28-2018, 10:53 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,945,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Why do Colorado drivers leave 1 or more car lengths between them and the car in front of them at a red light? It's baffling and inconsiderate.
As a former driving teacher, I taught people to stop far enough behind the car in front of them to see the car's rear wheels touching the road. That leaves room to maneuver around them for any reason. Common sense practice taught across the country. Certainly not inconsiderate in any way. Defensive driving requires that you leave yourself a way out of any situation. You never put yourself & your car in a situation you can't get out of.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:59 AM

1,002 posts, read 916,467 times
Not from Colorado, but from somewhere mountainous. I recently helped my girlfriend learn to drive stick. Luckily most of the drivers around here are polite and considerate enough to leave a little space, especially on hills for when she inevitably rolled back a few feet before the clutch engaged.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:16 AM

924 posts, read 1,020,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Why do Colorado drivers leave 1 or more car lengths between them and the car in front of them at a red light? It's baffling and inconsiderate.

why do you want to stop on a cars ass? whats the point? car in front of you breaks down then what? car is a manual on a grade and goes back a little and hits you, your fault. I personally hate it when cars stop on my ass. pisses me off. this is the first state I ever been in that does that. Guess its a california and texas driver thing. the same way they tail gate other people.

i dont leave a full car space but I do leave enough space where if I need to move out.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:54 AM

369 posts, read 325,111 times
Related,
The one possible benefit I'm looking forward to with autonomous vehicles is the clearing of intersections.
Presently, once a light turns green each and every driver takes way too long to react. Most of our intersections being already overloaded only a fraction of the traffic volume gets processed. With automated vehicles I'd expect that we'd be able to see vehicles 🚗 progress through the intersection as if they were linked together. All begin moving at the same time like train cars. Just my fervent wish.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:50 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,512,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copymutt View Post
Related,
The one possible benefit I'm looking forward to with autonomous vehicles is the clearing of intersections.
Presently, once a light turns green each and every driver takes way too long to react. Most of our intersections being already overloaded only a fraction of the traffic volume gets processed. With automated vehicles I'd expect that we'd be able to see vehicles 🚗 progress through the intersection as if they were linked together. All begin moving at the same time like train cars. Just my fervent wish.
It is frustrating when you're in a long turn-left lane and the first car sits there for awhile after the light changes and then accelerates really slowly. I know sometimes that first car does have to make sure the intersection is clear because idiots run red lights all the time here, but when they also go super slow through the intersection then I feel they're just being thoughtless.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:07 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
why do you want to stop on a cars ass? whats the point?
I never said that. Sitting 1 or more car lengths behind the car in front of you is what I said.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:30 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
When I lived on the Front Range back in the dark ages that very same thing happened to me. I was involved in a 6 car chain reaction on a damn slick road at Belleview and Broadway, not the most pleasant place to be at regarding a multi vehicle dinger in mid January. Fortunately the only thing in front of me was the pedestrian crosswalk, I was pushed forward a few feet. I was lucky, was wearing my seat belt, and I was driving my '75 International 3/4 ton which was a tank. From that point forward I always give an extra few feet to the vehicle I get behind.
I have a cdl. Whether I'm driving a vehicle with a tare weight of 12 tons and a 12 ton load, or if I'm in my personal vehicle, when I pull to a stop, I do it such that I can see the bottom of your back tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I was taught to leave enough space between my car and the car in front of my to allow me to see the bottom of the car's rear tires. It's not fool-proof, but generally that buffer zone is enough to prevent a minor rear collision from pushing my car into the one in front of me, too.
You are correct.

Thank you for driving this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado