Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:23 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy101 View Post
Have a good one too and hope you get some up there soon!
They are here! We had our first hummingbird at the feeder today. Yippee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 08:12 AM

180 posts, read 1,187,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
They are here! We had our first hummingbird at the feeder today. Yippee!
Congrates Neditate!

We're still only seeing a single one floating around here, maybe not even the same one.

Just checked, looks like our first hummer that stayed was on 4/27 last year.

Was such a nice morning out this morning, my wife and I hung out on the deck this morning and got to see that single one come in to our feeders twice, but that's all we saw of that.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:49 PM

Thanks, Swampy. I am always excited to see the first one of the season. Have you had any more?
I feel bad... I forgot to bring the feeder in last night and it froze. One poor little fella was trying to drink this morning. I refilled it quickly but I haven't seen him come back all day .
The wind is really howling up here. We just had a 55 mph gust. Maybe that is why I haven't seen him. He's hanging on somewhere for dear life!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:02 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,102,730 times
Quote:
... I just bought 5 more of thos Opus feeders ... Would like to see more than the 40 we had last year.
YOU ARE A HERO!!! So many feeders, so many nourished hummingbirds, so many healthy baby hummers!!! YOU ARE A HERO!! On behalf of the Earth, if I may, T H A N K . Y O U !!!

Old 04-25-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
Thanks, Swampy. I am always excited to see the first one of the season. Have you had any more?
I feel bad... I forgot to bring the feeder in last night and it froze. One poor little fella was trying to drink this morning. I refilled it quickly but I haven't seen him come back all day .
The wind is really howling up here. We just had a 55 mph gust. Maybe that is why I haven't seen him. He's hanging on somewhere for dear life!
We've still only seen one at any one time. Although, now, the one that we do see is definitely hanging around all day. He's noisy as heck and you can hear him pretty far away.

Mine froze last night too, but we have ours on the south side so they thawed pretty quick and I'm only putting around a 1/4 cup of juice in each one for now until we get more so it wasn't like a big block that had to be thawed.

We heard we were supposed to get some wind today, but it's been pretty mild here, 5-10mph gusting to the 20-25 zone, nothing like the previous days hitting 40-50mph. I don't think the high winds affect them as bad as you think though. We've had the 40-60mph winds last summer and we watched them all fly with great ease to the feeders still!

Old 04-25-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
YOU ARE A HERO!!! So many feeders, so many nourished hummingbirds, so many healthy baby hummers!!! YOU ARE A HERO!! On behalf of the Earth, if I may, T H A N K . Y O U !!!
Thanks Allforcats. I've been planting flower beds like crazy this week as well so they can get some good nurishment on top of the sugar water.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:22 AM

So, I've been watching my feeders as we've been dropping into the 20's at night the past few nights. While the liquid was frozen in the glass, I looked inside and it was still unfrozen, so that's great to know.

I'm using Opus 476, you can see them here:
HUMMINGBIRD FEEDER GLASS 20 OZ, Wild Bird Feeders with quick shipping from Plant Factory Garden Center

Which is where I just bought my last 5 and had no problems with that vendor.

We now have two steady visitors, after taking a couple of junk pics over the past few days, it looks like they're the same two every day and is 1 male and one female.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:41 AM

Up to three for sure now. 2 males and a female broadtail.

Poor guys, they don't know what's going on today. Have 3 inches of snow so far this morning and this one camped on one of the feeders shivvering and breathing hard while drinking.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Up to three for sure now. 2 males and a female broadtail.

Poor guys, they don't know what's going on today. Have 3 inches of snow so far this morning and this one camped on one of the feeders shivvering and breathing hard while drinking.
GREAT photo! Ours were MIA for the past few days. Finally saw one a few times yesterday. This morning with 4" of snow (and counting) I haven't seen the poor little fella.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 AM

Still only seeing 3. Where are they all?!?!?!?

Great morning this morning. Sat out on the deck for morning caffiene and had my camera on hand, shot this one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: