Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 09:23 AM

81 posts, read 81,768 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Visiting in mid-August and need a 4-day car mid-size rental to go up and down the state. Arriving on Sunday. The total amount out of Denver airport is more than the two-person roundtrip airfare! . I did some searching around here and found offsite rental to be favored (hotel based), but not sure if we can still take advantage of the airport shuttle to the hotel, even though we're not staying there?

Went to Turo.com and it seems like a good option. I'm just leary of renting a private car. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Last edited by jonwb; 07-10-2018 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 10:56 AM

1,330 posts, read 699,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwb View Post
Hi,

Visiting in mid-August and need a 4-day car mid-size rental to go up and down the state. Arriving on Sunday. The total amount out of Denver airport is more than the two-person roundtrip airfare! . I did some searching around here and found offsite rental to be favored (hotel based), but not sure if we can still take advantage of the airport shuttle to the hotel, even though we're not staying there?

Went to Turo.com and it seems like a good option. I'm just leary of renting a private car. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks
You could also rent in the suburbs and take the train out to the burbs. When my parents came and visited, it was almost half the price.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:08 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
This topic has been discussed at some length on the TripAdvisor Colorado forum. You could look there for suggestions.

One thing you could do is take the light rail (A line) to Union Station and rent from one of the majors located downtown. Last time we were in Denver we took the light rail to the Central Park Station (about four stops from the airport) and the guys from Enterprise picked us up. It was definitely a lot cheaper than renting from the locations at the airport.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:10 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
This topic has been discussed at some length on the TripAdvisor Colorado forum. You could look there for suggestions.

One thing you could do is take the light rail (A line) to Union Station and rent from one of the majors located downtown. Last time we were in Denver we took the light rail to the Central Park Station (about four stops from the airport) and the guys from Enterprise picked us up. It was definitely a lot cheaper than renting from the locations at the airport.
Agree! We have had better prices from Enterprise than anyone else.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:42 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,700,228 times
We usually get the best rates through Costco, but your results may vary.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:02 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Depends on when you go. We go to the Denver area every year in May and rent a car. The rates are very reasonable then, even with the big rental car companies.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:16 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
We will be paying $469 for a mid-size (Malibu type) for 7 days and picking up at DIA after we arrive and get our luggage. Seemed kind of expensive, but we chalk it up to today's rental costs for that size of car and simply part of our vacation cost, along with round-trip airline tix for both of us and nice/descent hotel room for the 7 days.

Prices today are much higher on almost everything, compared to 15+ years ago and more.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:47 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
I always use Alamo when I travel. Always.

The price runs the gamut. For example:
-Detroit, $88, 3 days. Pickup.
-Los Angeles, $150, 5 days. Pickup.
-Spokane, $135, 4 days. Standard pickup.
-Los Angeles, $161, 3 days. Compact SUV.
-Nashville to Evansville, $248, 3 days. Paid for a full-size car, received a Large SUV (it was all they had).
-St. Louis to Cincinnati, $453, 1 week. Midsized SUV
-Phoenix, $351, 1 week. Pickup.
-Phoenix, $91, 4 days. Paid for a midsize car, received a full-size car (I didn't fit in the midsize {I'm 6'7"}).

We had to rent a one way for work from Thrifty last week, as Alamo was sold out in Denver.
Denver to Minneapolis, 2 days, $750. Compact.

For Aug 12-16, a midsize is showing $376 at Alamo. Cheapest level they have available. They're showing sold-out for Aug 12-15. Ridiculous.

Enterprise is showing $222 for a full-size for Aug 12-16, but it appears to only be at the S. Broadway location.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:17 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
I always use Costco for good rates and free cancellation, check back after booking because they sometimes drop in price.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:07 PM

2,066 posts, read 900,879 times
I'm wondering if the prices haven't spiked to take advantage of the increase in demand due to so many folks north and west of Denver needing their cars repaired from all the recent hail storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado