Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:21 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
if the foundation is designed right, you should not have the problems listed above. Some of the houses built in the 60's did suffer from problems due to the availability of foundation types at the time. Foundation systems have come a LONG way from then, and can be built in expansive soil areas. There are areas in which the soils engineers will tell you to NOT build in that area due to the extreme nature of the expansion.

A very good portion of Colorado is over expansive clay's. And designs have been done to compensate for it.
The problem is that no builder will absolutely guarantee that whatever they have done to mitigate expansive soil problems will work. You are left taking the risk.

Don't do that. Build on sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 04:53 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
The problem is that no builder will absolutely guarantee that whatever they have done to mitigate expansive soil problems will work. You are left taking the risk.

Don't do that. Build on sand.
if they follow the structural engineers calculations, and follow the soils engineers recomendations, there is no reason to feel that it is not a safe house. Most of colorado, especialy the denver and northern burbs are on moderate expansive soils.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:56 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
if they follow the structural engineers calculations, and follow the soils engineers recomendations, there is no reason to feel that it is not a safe house. Most of colorado, especialy the denver and northern burbs are on moderate expansive soils.
Nobody is saying that the house is not safe. So you will guarantee that the flat work will not heave, the walls will not develop cracks, the doors will not be hard to close, and the garage floor will not shift?

Oh, I didn't think so.

So we can agree to disagree.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:17 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Nobody is saying that the house is not safe. So you will guarantee that the flat work will not heave, the walls will not develop cracks, the doors will not be hard to close, and the garage floor will not shift?

Oh, I didn't think so.

So we can agree to disagree.
if properly designed, I can tell you that the walls will not develop cracks that would hinder the structure unsafe, I can guarantee that the flat work will not fully heave, there may be movement though, which is allowed for in the design work. I can guarantee that doors will not be hard to close (which is due to improper load calculations on the pipe columns causing the house to sag in the middle. Garage floors should not heave, though you might get some shifting of the slab due to soils settling. I can tell you that the same slabs will move even if the soil is in perfect conditions as well.

I have been designing houses long enough in Colorado to know that I would stand 100% behind my designs if the builder and the engineers design their end correctly, and build it to plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado