Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 01:32 PM

4 posts, read 7,742 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I've read through so many posts and have gathered so much great information. You guys are all so wonderful about thoroughly answering other people's questions!

My husband and I are moving to Colorado with our three small children. I know, I know...."oh...more people moving here all dreamy-eyed and don't know what they are getting in to" LOL

My husband and I both work from home so we are not actually looking for jobs. Our jobs come with us. My children are also home-schooled so public education is not a factor for our move either. So we have the very weird luxury of just moving wherever we want to go and this is where I am looking for insight from those who know best!

With that being said we spent a lot of time visiting/researching Colorado Springs. Views are amazing - lots to do, walk able downtown area, lots of bike paths, trails, hiking, indoor places, a decent food scene to visit etc etc etc. I also liked that it was only an hour from Denver where there was even MORE to do. Manitou Springs is absolutely adorable too.

Besides Colorado Springs we also visited and researched Denver, Fort Collins and Boulder.

If you could live anywhere in CO - jobs and school weren't a factor ---- where would you live and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 01:53 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Even with an open ended question like yours, IMO it still falls primarily upon cost of housing.

For that reason (and for all the excellent amenities there) I say COLO SPGS.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:00 PM

That is very true! We could live in Boulder or Denver but it is definitely a lot more expensive than Colorado Springs. Thank you for the input!~

Old 08-07-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnason070916 View Post
That is very true! We could live in Boulder or Denver but it is definitely a lot more expensive than Colorado Springs. Thank you for the input!~
Those are very fine places to move to, but expensive.

When you said home schooling my stereotypical thinking had me put you in the evangelical category and northern COLO SPGS / northern El Paso County is the mother hive for that demographic, followed by Douglas County (Castle Rock and Highlands Ranch). Even if not, COLO SPGS is probably your best bet, price and amenities considered.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:18 PM

it's okay I totally get it. Our homeschooling is not religious based at all. We are from New Hampshire but moved to FL. Schooling in our area is just leaps and bounds below what our kids had up north so we opted to homeschool them and it's been a great experience.

Yes those places are definitely expensive! What about Fort Collins? do you find that to be more like colo springs or more like denver/boulder

Old 08-07-2018, 02:24 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
As much as I'd like to have a mountain cabin in some best-kept-secret mountain town, I think that'd be great for a vacation home but not for day-to-day living. Thus, I think I'd still opt for Colorado Springs but might consider putting myself a bit farther out of town if I did not need to come in for work/school.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:28 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnason070916 View Post
it's okay I totally get it. Our homeschooling is not religious based at all. We are from New Hampshire but moved to FL. Schooling in our area is just leaps and bounds below what our kids had up north so we opted to homeschool them and it's been a great experience.

Yes those places are definitely expensive! What about Fort Collins? do you find that to be more like colo springs or more like denver/boulder
Fort Collins itself imho is kind of similar to Colorado Springs if it were a lot smaller and had a huge university in it instead of all the military.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:39 PM

haha that is funny. I asked because that was my thought. It seemed like Colorado Springs but smaller (and college vs military like you pointed out). There isn't as much to do though it seemed like which means you would have to travel a lot. Could be totally wrong though. Fort Collins was actually the one I haven't finished researching yet!

And I hear you - mountain cabin would be splendid.....to vacation in What towns do you like outside of Colorado Springs? I know Manitou has great reviews. So quaint.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:47 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,717,319 times
If I had the luxury of *anywhere* (in no particular order)....

Boulder
Idaho Springs
Genesee
Evergreen
Conifer
Monument

More towards the foothills, in general.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:15 PM

There are some excellent public schools in COLO SPGS (several districts) but also the Boulder Valley School District (BVSD) in Boulder area and the Cherry Creek School District (CCSD) in the southern Denver metro area. Both BVSD and CCSD are great to use in our search engine. I think you'll find most COLO schools far ahead of Florida.

If I could live anywhere in the state of COLO it would probably be in the heart of Denver for the culture, sports, food, shopping and transit. I'm 'proximity' oriented.

The scenery of Telluride and Aspen would be awesome but the billionaire and Hollywood crowds who live there aren't my kind of people not to mention I don't like being out in the boonies. A brownstone on Central Park in NYC would be cool though .... proximity.

If you come close to affording Boulder or Denver then by all means check out the Old North End Neighborhood (ONEN) in COLO SPGS. It's near the private and pricey Colo College, a large major hospital, flat tree-lined streets, charming older homes, walkable, bikeable, near the downtown restaurant scene, not far from Manitou and not all that far to good shopping. The 3-screen movie house downtown is really cool too, and it's next to some good eats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado