Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 09:12 PM

8 posts, read 6,133 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Thornton, CO back in late 90s and early 2000s. I loved and and always wanted to go back. My fiancé (53) and I (43) are planning on moving with our two labs out of Tallahassee. The heat, humidity, “Southern” mentality (chauvinism, racism and being looked at with pity or weird because I never had nor will have kids), and lack of job opportunities and pay for me - I’m in digital marketing - have worn on us too much.

So that’s why we’re leaving. I loved CO back when I lived there because of the level of intelligence, opportunity for career growth, the lack of humidity, stunning mountains and so much to do - culturally, outdoors and dinning - between Boulder, Denver and the mountains. My fiancé has gone to CO at least once a year to hunt elk or deer. We both are passionate about the outdoors - hiking, camping, kayaking, anything. We also enjoy going out for dinner once a week and love sports bars and football season.

It seems that in Co, Denver has the best opportunities for work for me, but I’m not getting any bites (I have been told a lot of companies drop anyone out of state immediately, but I’ve also been told my 18 years of marketing experience here in Tallahassee is not in the same caliber as Denver). My fiancé works with Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission as a management planner (how public land is used, preserved, etc). We’ve decided I will be the first to look for work since it may not be in Denver - could be Fort Collins or Co Springs...or Salt Lake City!

After reading more about the crazy cost of living in Denver, though, we started to look into Salt Lake City, UT. I’m nervous about the things I’ve read about so much focus on families (which gets annoying here - that things are either for families, young singles with money or retirees with money - and that’s about it). Im a little concerned about the religion (because we are not religious), but have read enough to feel ok about that.

My fiancé owns the house we’re in, so our thought is that we would move, rent for a while (year?) to get settled and then be able to put a nice amount down on a home. We’ve been quite comfortable in our 3-bed 2- bath - using one room for storage and never using the second bath.
I’ve got a good chunk of debt I’ve been working down and would hate to move and just be paying rent and debt with no room to save for a house or have money to play (dining out, exploring, whatever).

We would be comfortable renting a house to start since we have two labs and really want/need a fenced back yard (we have two acres of lush land here). We’d prefer not to have to pay more than $1500 - shoot, we’d prefer no more than $1000, but could be ok with $1700. Again, we’d hate to spend so much renting before buying. When we do buy, we are looking at about $300,000, 3 bed/ 2 bath or even 2 bed / 1.5 bath and storage space like a basement.

I’m concerned about moving into a family oriented neighborhood and be “left out” because we don’t have kids. I honestly really don’t feel like having a bunch of kids running around, either. On the other hand, I’m reading about neighborhood for young professionals and am afraid we’re a little past our prime for that category, too.
Any suggestions about how to get my resume “Denver-worthy”, what neighborhoods we should be looking at to rent and perhaps any other places in Colorado to search besides Denver area? Do you think Salt Lake City would be a wiser move for the cost of living?
Thank you for reading all of this and for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 01:19 AM

46 posts, read 44,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittyrs View Post
I used to live in Thornton, CO back in late 90s and early 2000s. I loved and and always wanted to go back. My fiancé (53) and I (43) are planning on moving with our two labs out of Tallahassee. The heat, humidity, “Southern” mentality (chauvinism, racism and being looked at with pity or weird because I never had nor will have kids), and lack of job opportunities and pay for me - I’m in digital marketing - have worn on us too much.

So that’s why we’re leaving. I loved CO back when I lived there because of the level of intelligence, opportunity for career growth, the lack of humidity, stunning mountains and so much to do - culturally, outdoors and dinning - between Boulder, Denver and the mountains. My fiancé has gone to CO at least once a year to hunt elk or deer. We both are passionate about the outdoors - hiking, camping, kayaking, anything. We also enjoy going out for dinner once a week and love sports bars and football season.

It seems that in Co, Denver has the best opportunities for work for me, but I’m not getting any bites (I have been told a lot of companies drop anyone out of state immediately, but I’ve also been told my 18 years of marketing experience here in Tallahassee is not in the same caliber as Denver). My fiancé works with Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission as a management planner (how public land is used, preserved, etc). We’ve decided I will be the first to look for work since it may not be in Denver - could be Fort Collins or Co Springs...or Salt Lake City!

After reading more about the crazy cost of living in Denver, though, we started to look into Salt Lake City, UT. I’m nervous about the things I’ve read about so much focus on families (which gets annoying here - that things are either for families, young singles with money or retirees with money - and that’s about it). Im a little concerned about the religion (because we are not religious), but have read enough to feel ok about that.

My fiancé owns the house we’re in, so our thought is that we would move, rent for a while (year?) to get settled and then be able to put a nice amount down on a home. We’ve been quite comfortable in our 3-bed 2- bath - using one room for storage and never using the second bath.
I’ve got a good chunk of debt I’ve been working down and would hate to move and just be paying rent and debt with no room to save for a house or have money to play (dining out, exploring, whatever).

We would be comfortable renting a house to start since we have two labs and really want/need a fenced back yard (we have two acres of lush land here). We’d prefer not to have to pay more than $1500 - shoot, we’d prefer no more than $1000, but could be ok with $1700. Again, we’d hate to spend so much renting before buying. When we do buy, we are looking at about $300,000, 3 bed/ 2 bath or even 2 bed / 1.5 bath and storage space like a basement.

I’m concerned about moving into a family oriented neighborhood and be “left out” because we don’t have kids. I honestly really don’t feel like having a bunch of kids running around, either. On the other hand, I’m reading about neighborhood for young professionals and am afraid we’re a little past our prime for that category, too.
Any suggestions about how to get my resume “Denver-worthy”, what neighborhoods we should be looking at to rent and perhaps any other places in Colorado to search besides Denver area? Do you think Salt Lake City would be a wiser move for the cost of living?
Thank you for reading all of this and for your suggestions!
Have you considered the Western Slopes; more specifically, Grand Junction? I'm in a similar boat in that I'm looking to relocate to Colorado, and I'm somewhat concerned about the rising cost of living in the Denver area.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:29 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
What kind of budget do you think you'll manage for housing? Let's start there and then we can figure out if Denver is right, or maybe Colorado Springs, etc.?

Old 08-15-2018, 09:17 AM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
If the house in Florida is rented out, the rent paid in CO comes at least partially from there. You might be able to get something for 6 months if you'd take a transition apartment or look for a temp situation house.

If you make a lifestyle choice outside the norm, you just got to ignore what others think about it & do AND work harder to create your own reality (find your own "people" and activities). Don't guilt trip or pity yourself, whine & wallow. If you never had kids, you are a minority (something like 10-20% of adults over 35 or 40 yrs old). There are probably neighborhoods where this is more common. Might be condos. Ask a good real estate agent. They should know. Some of their clients will be in this minority.

With employers doing everything they can to make hiring quicker & easier for them, I more & more see why someone might pretend they are local (if they work online or are between jobs or can pretend to be without getting caught). Perhaps fire off a set of resumes and plan to be at an extended stay motel in a week or two (as in buy the plane ticket in advance, change ticket if they are slow). Use a PO Box with mail forwarding. The employer does not need to know where you live, if you are ready to start basically immediately. Want a month or more... their desire for immediate satisfaction will come back up and usually win. To pull this off, you probably should get a local phone number (get a cheap 2nd phone or change existing number).

Would you be happy back in Thornton? What type of change from that would you want? Closer in, cheaper? OR What about Lakewood?

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-15-2018 at 10:00 AM..

Old 08-15-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
If you make a lifestyle choice outside the norm, you just got to ignore what others think about it & do AND work harder to create your own reality (find your own "people" and activities). Don't guilt trip or pity yourself, whine & wallow. If you never had kids, you are a minority (something like 10-20% of adults over 35 or 40 yrs old). There are probably neighborhoods where this is more common. Might be condos. Ask a good real estate agent.
Would you be happy back in Thornton? What type of change from that would you want? Closer in, cheaper? OR What about Lakewood?
Thank you, NW Crow! I guess I kinda needed a little dose of reality re: the lack of kids. Luckily we do enjoy our time together, so won’t be heartbroken if we’re not the most popular kids on the block. I’ve thought about a realtor, but since we’re not really ready to buy yet...
Thornton at the time was just ok. I was in a new apartment building, so that was nice. I can’t even remember what the housing neighborhoods were like. I’m familiar with Westminster and liked that, Broomfield and I can’t remember whether it was Arvada or Aurora that was similar to Westminster. But this was almost 20 years ago, so I’m sure a lot has changed. Back then some friends of mine got a little cottage style house in Golden that I really liked. Cute neighborhood, etc.
I like the suggestion about the PO box and have it forwarded! Hmmmm...
I’ve started putting on the resume and cover letter “Relicating to” SLC or Denver. I’m also working with a career coach on the resume. I guess I’m in that tough time when crickets chirping is trying to get the best of me. But I’m still moving forward!
Thanks again.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:22 PM

bmcass
I just started looking into the Western slopes this week! What have you found? I haven’t yet checked the jobs out there.

otowi
What else are you looking for in regards to rent and buy budgets beyond what I included?

Thank you both for your help!

Last edited by Smittyrs; 08-15-2018 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: Names

Old 08-15-2018, 02:09 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
More likely was Arvada.
Could say: "relocating next month". The employers who don't want to wait or deal with folks "adjusting" / distracted will probably still toss. Maybe a few less.

Good luck.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:40 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,704,874 times
As an employer, we hire from out of state, but somewhat reluctantly. We've moved people here only to find out they don't like it or can't afford the housing or family pulls them back to where they are from. I think you need to point out that you are moving BACK to Colorado. That shows at least you know what you are getting into.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I think you need to point out that you are moving BACK to Colorado. That shows at least you know what you are getting into.
Yup. Doing that, too. Thank you for your input, though! I’ll take all the tips.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:19 PM

46 posts, read 44,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittyrs View Post
bmcass
I just started looking into the Western slopes this week! What have you found? I haven’t yet checked the jobs out there.

otowi
What else are you looking for in regards to rent and buy budgets beyond what I included?

Thank you both for your help!
I've read that Grand Junction is/has:
- a quickly growing community, with rising real estate prices (but still lower than the Front Range)
- an emerging wine region, as well as a farm-to-table food culture
- a quaint downtown with lots of charming shops, restaurants, boutiques, and outdoor artwork (esp. sculptures)
- less violent storms than the Front Range, with fewer hail storms, and an overall warmer climate

I also love the desert topography, surrounding mesas, and proximity to Colorado National Monument, as well as Utah (especially for Arches NP, and Canyonlands NP). I'll be visiting Colorado in the beginning of October, and plan to take a closer look at Grand Junction. I've spent a lot of time in Colorado, but have only really passed through Grand Junction on road trips to other parts of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado