Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:53 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times

Advertisements

Here it is. This is really something that I've put some time into. This is MY opinion, so...Some of these places that I will list are places I haven't checked out yet, so others' comments will be added.

I'm talking about good Mexican Food. Not good Margaritas. I could care less about those. I'm from SoCal and I'm not gonna argue about TexMex vs the other 120 some types of Mexican Food. I could care less about how dumpy the place is, so long as it's sanitary and they keep the place somewhat clean through and through. In the San Fernando Valley, there are places that don't fit this description, but just have the best food. We're not looking for the Palace Arms here. Just good food and a well run joint. This goes for any establishment for me.

Let's just argue on one thing; If someone says that Taco Bell is better than "X-place", then that's an insult to "X-place".

#1) Mi Ranchito 24500 E us-50 (Mesa)

The best. Taste. Service. Carnitas & Green Chile hold their own. Beans & rice are both good.*

* Code for Authentic Pueblo Colorado Mexican Food.

#2) Mi Ranchito-Rev B 525 S Pueblo Blvd.

Just as good as on the Mesa (but my favorite server in town once from there moved over to Olive Garden. Maybe he'll come back to his senses and go back where he belongs). I think they both have Friday Buffets with pretty dern good crablegs if you can believe that!

#3) Mi Pueblito - Mi Ranchito's Cousin 1305 E Routt (by Northern)

Mi Ranchito's Cousin. Need I say more? One of those places that looks rough from the outside* but not too shabby on the inside.

*Code for what makes Pueblo Pueblo.

The rest are sort of in random order. I'm gonna try to go with my personal favs down to ones I haven't tried yet but heard good things about.

Arriba's: 4000 thatcher (4th ave west and Pueblo Blvd)

Better Breakfast Burritos than Burrito Betty's!!!!!!!!!!! Yup!
Best Green Chile in Pueblo at this time!
Try the Pork & Avacado Burritos, chicken tacos on white (flour-but fried).

Betty's Burritos 2401 N Elizabeth M-Sat 7:00am-2:00pm

Get the #10 Breakfast Burrito-good for the go-it's all inside the tortilla

Adolfo's 604 E 4th

When Burrito Betty's is too crowded as always, go here. They're great. I'd like to try other stuff here too real soon. Oh, nice folks and the kind of place you can go in and eat. Not fancy, just good and simple.

Adolfo's 4104 Outlook

Food is as good as above, it's 24/7! I hate the service. The food is worth it though. They hate me, don't know why. So I hate them back. Take out only for me. Hey, this is the only place like it in it's immediate surroundings too, so I'm glad it's there.

Papa Jose's 320 S Union Here's your great atmosphere. Dude in Colorado Springs loves it. Looked for Mexican Food for 3 years in Cos and "couldn't find it". "Doesn't feel like a restaurant, it feels like home". I like it ok. Location location location.

Jorge's Sombrero (Horhay's) 1319 E Evans

Good Carnitas and stuff - local fav.

Nachos 409 N Santa Fe

I better mention this one; one of MMG's favs. Atmosphere. Location. Lively! Probably great for kids. Pretty darn good beans and rice* (remember?) Not bad for a place that doesn't know what real Carnitas are!

Mexi-Deli 215 E Abriendo

Almost a fast-food atmosphere with drive thru, but oh so much more. Pretty Darn Good Food and Service Really! Don't expect an On-The-Border type place. I doubt you'd get an alcoholic beverage here.

City Diner 1002 N Santa Fe

Hungry? Almost Broke? Get the City Bomber-smothered in Green!

Gray's Coors Tavern 4th and right east of MidWay

The Slopper (get green and two patties) (if red, get onions)

Star Bar Also The Slopper. Where is it? Find it. Pueblo Secret.

Pantry Find it. I call some of these diners Mexican Food because of the Green. Got to try the smothered chicken enchiladas and go there hungry!

Taco Casa 704 W 29th

Drive-thru type little place, but good food & Service & Price*

* This is code for NOT franchise and the locals like it.

Taco Star 2021 S Pueblo Blvd

Yes, this fast-food joint made the list. They got some real food in there! Fish Tacos! OMG! Yum!

3 Margaritas Remember where the GAP was 23 years ago? Too bad.

I mention this franchise joint because CF, Chilis, Applebees, Johhny Carinos, Olive Garden, etc. can just go away. These folks will treat you like family. This is not code; their beans are just different. I like them. They may or may not know what Carnitas are, but they know what to do with a flank steak. Sometimes, you gotta have cow. Served hot and yum.

Romero's Cafe & Catering 2648 Santa Fe (Mesa)

Many a local fav. It's just too close to # 1 Mi Ranchitos for me, that my vehicle just won't make it there. I call it the Blue Bonnet of Pueblo. "Toot Toot!" No offense to people who love it. Just try the #1 at Mi Ranchitos sometime and tell me you like Romero's better.

Places I need to find: Molly's Tamale House 410 Indiana (if it's still open), Taco Stop 702 E 4th, Casa de Burritos 1729 S Prairie "Bean & Chicharron-the best", Tortilleria Delicias 926 S Santa Fe (looks hard to find, may be a gem),

Mill Stop 317 Bay State

an old CF&I fav. I haven't been there yet. To some, it's just the best. It's what they say.

Oh, there's a place, east on Northern just east and north of the bridge over I-25. It's in a bar. Great food.

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-01-2008 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: touch-up, addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 05:23 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
What about Patty's on Santa Fe? I haven't been there for several years, but it used to be pretty good. Also, have you found anyplace in Pueblo of late that still serves a "halfbreed" (their name, not mine)--an Italian sausage sandwich smothered in green chile? There used to be a couple of places that served them, but they usuallly weren't even on the menu. Delicious, and pretty unique to Pueblo.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:28 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Whazzup McGowdog? Been to both Mi Ranchitos and both are great! Prices are reasonable, combo plates great, and you don't stand for long when you get in the door; they're right there to greet you. I'll have to check out the downtown places when I come to the state fair this summer, when I can stay a few extra days!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
What about Patty's on Santa Fe? I haven't been there for several years, but it used to be pretty good. Also, have you found anyplace in Pueblo of late that still serves a "halfbreed" (their name, not mine)--an Italian sausage sandwich smothered in green chile? There used to be a couple of places that served them, but they usuallly weren't even on the menu. Delicious, and pretty unique to Pueblo.
Right! I'll mention Patty's too. We eat there often and a great old place to take people for lunch. River Walk and Santa Fe.

Their green is pretty good and I get the half-breed when I'm starving. The signature entree is The Godfather- like a grinder or PassKey with a big Pueblo Chili on it. Now take that entree and smother it with the Green and you've got the Half-Breed. It should come with a roll of tums.

Sup DoubleH? You Western Sloper!

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-01-2008 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-28-2008, 06:27 PM

Default Pueblo Colorado Mexican Food

I was able to talk to some people and eat at some of these places in the last couple of months and some things may have changed a bit.

For one thing, I'd like to say that I make the best Pueblo Green Chile. It's a bit too hot for many, but I can't take any more heat out of these Pueblo Chiles I got at the Chile Festival last year. Maybe this year's batch will be a bit tamer, but they're good by me.

A friend brought it to my attention that he has still had better food in New Mexico than one of my spots in Pueblo. Maybe he's right. He said it lacked that "WOW" factor. So I went to a friend of mine from here who used to live and work in Albuquerque, Sante Fe, Las Vegas...and he said the best Mexican food is made by his mom and grandma. His point being that the best food is homemade and not at one of these places where they mass produce the stuff. Perhaps some of my favs fit this category. So I asked him, who's got the best New Mexico type food in Pueblo? He said this place is good. It's on about Adams and Polk You have to go up 4th or down Thatcher to near the ditch and turn south on Adams, then west on Polk and it right there;

I will try it very soon to confirm.

Next, I'd like to say that few places have all of the best in one restaurant. Some have the best this, and some have the best that.

MrsGowdog tells me that Nachos has the best salsa, so that's that. Near 5th and Sante Fe I believe;

A good slopper on green or red, Gray's Coors Tavern on about Grand and 4th:

Best Chorizo deep-fried flour shell Tacos, Mexi Deli on Abriendo and near Main;

We went to Mi Ranchitos on Pueblo Blvd recently and I get what I always get; Carnitas and a side of green. Our friends got what they get. Menudo was one thing. It looked pretty good. Maybe I'll try it someday.

For authentic Mexican food, I don't see anything wrong with Taco Star. I still have yet to have bad food there. By southside Walmart south of Fair grounds on Prairie;

Still haven't tried Mill Stop yet It's near the Mill, of course. I think it's, well see 1st post for exact directions;

So there's many other little gems that I can't even remember the names of and evidently places I haven't discovered yet. I'm going to check Martinez asap and report back.

Hope some of you can make it down to the fair.

I still have to get an Italian Restaurant thread going too. Hope this one gets more than 3 reads this time. Chow.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:41 AM

87 posts, read 458,268 times
I haven't been to many mexican food places yet, but I tried this one:
Taco Shells, 336 South McCulloch Boulevard, Pueblo West, CO 81007-2890
(719) 647-9208. I got the beef tacos. I liked them because they weren't too salty. The refried beans and rice did not impress me, but the tacos and salsa were decent.

Looking forward to seeing an Italian Restaurant thread. In fact, I need recommendations for tomorrow, it's my mom's birthday and I really don't want to go to Olive Garden. She loves Italian food.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the response! I goofed up on Taco Star. It's south on Pueblo Blvd, not down from the Fair Grounds on Prairie. You'd have to go to Northern and go southwest over to the Blvd, then south a couple of blocks.

Giodones Tavern and Restaurant is my new fav! On the east side of the building is a nice quiet sort of dark dining area. On the west side is a noisy sort of cafe looking tavern portion of the restaurant that looks a bit noisy and well lit. Best of both worlds. Any way, I got a chicken alfredo and the alfredo sauce was the best I've ever had. I loved it! MrsGowdog got a chicken parmesan that looked good too. It's a small place and off the beaten path. It's out on "middle 50". You know? Sante Fe towards County High School, but not that far I don't think.

23344 E US Highway 50, Pueblo, CO - (719) 542-9751‎ to be more specific.

I've been to Latronica's Restaurant Inc. as well. I like it and it's probably got a lot of history. It's by the famed Gus's (Dutch Lunch, most beers served per bar stool on the planet Earth-back in the day!) and it's by this awesome italian market/store/deli called Gaglionos Italian Market. This market sells food to some of the uppity joints in town and if their service matched their food, they'd top my list. Latronicas is on Elm and Mesa. Mesa is the street just north of Northern. If you got off at Central off of I-25 and went up abriendo towards the light at Northern, you go north to Mesa and turn right on Mesa and I think it's right there on the left. That's Elm. If you were to turn right on Elm, you'd see Gus's and Gaglionos on that steet as you made your way back to Northern or I-25.

1143 E Abriendo Ave, Pueblo, CO - (719) 542-1113‎

You got your

Johnny Carinos which has nice food, but I haven't been to in a while.
5700 N Elizabeth St, Pueblo, CO - (719) 542-1745‎

Giacomos used to be Gaetono's which I loved back in the day. We try it from time to time and I think it depends on what you order. Good people still work there. I hope to support them more in the future, but not till after I go back to Giodones and Latronics.

Now, for your mom, that's it for now, but when you get the chance... if you haven't already, you have to go to Iannes Pizzeria for their sausage and chile pepper pizza! Pagonos for their fresh pasta. Angelos Pizza Parlor North and South for their pizza! I love it! Wife, doesn't as much.

That's all I can think of for now. Your mom's a Leo like me! Happy Birthday to her!

Oh! Patti's Restaurant and Lounge! Right by the River Walk at Grand and Sante Fe! The nocci! (sp??) The sausage! The Nocci! Floating in a pool of Olive Oil! A treat! Lunch or Dinner! You've got to check this place out.

Pass Key!!!!!!! Get the one with the 3 cheeses! If you're gonna do it, do it.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:07 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,326 times
McGowdog wrote:"A friend brought it to my attention that he has still had better food in New Mexico than one of my spots in Pueblo."

I would agree. Northern New Mexican cuisine stands alone. In CO. though, Pueblo has what's closest to it. We've been regulars to Patty's for years on our way to the SLV or New Mexico. The N.M. red chile has rich flavor, and complements the green well, which is why I always order my enchiladas "Christmas". In no. N.M., you also get a side of posole along with the refritos, which is nice. An ice cold Negra Modelo or Bohemia seals the deal.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:36 PM

87 posts, read 458,268 times
Thanks for the tips and the well wishes for my mom I think we'll try Giodones, sounds like it's good. I ventured up to Gagliano's last week for some sausages. Really neat place! The lasagna is to die for! Going back for more Make the italian thread and I'll post how it was tomorrow night!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:47 PM

Uh-oh! Pressure's on. Hope you love the food and the service is awesome.

I kind of feel like I've kick-started the Italian food thread already. Maybe I can get places with addr, phone numbers, a thumbnail pic, and a rating or strong point. Hmmm. Anybody is free to help me here too.

My mom makes the best lasagne, but I've got to try Gagliano's soon. I just won't tell my mom.

Thanks for the input Sockeye. Most of us will agree that NM blows Tex-mex away. I'm still lookin' for that place in Pueblo that is the best of the best. Oh, and have a beer on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado