U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 PM

15 posts, read 136,186 times

Advertisements

Well, we moved here a few weeks ago, and have enjoyed exploring the beautiful outdoors during the day. It's definitely different than Texas.
However, this weekend is my birthday/ our anniversary, and
I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT TO DO!!
Can anyone give me some good ideas for a fun and romantic day and Saturday night? We really are open to anything, but I don't know where to start. Nightlife here is different than nightlife in Houston!!
Also, I would like to spend a day at a salon/ day spa in the area- nothing incredibly fancy, but a relaxing "me time". I have looked them up in the phone book, but first hand information is always better! Any nice places?
Thanks so much!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 09:06 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,905,401 times
I don't know a whole lot about the spas in Junction, but I know my mom goes to the spa attached to Grand Junction Athletic Club on Patterson, and has never had any complaints.

There used to be a very nice restaurant on Main St. called The Winery- I haven't eaten there in a couple years and have heard that it is now under new management, so I can't tell you if it's as good as it used to be. Regardless, it's worth checking out!

Nightlife options in Grand Junction are a little limited. You could take a drive up the monument and stop at the top to see the city lights- that is always fun and romantic.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:18 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,870,362 times
How funny! I will be celebrating my birthday this weekend in GJ too! However, I probably won't have a night on the town, as we are tiling the floor this weekend to get our house ready to sell. Not my idea of fun on my b-day. Anyways, I wouldn't recommend the GJ Day Spa and Salon. I had a really terrible experience there with a haircut. The stylist cut my hair unevenly. I didn't realize this till I got home and really checked out my hair. When I called, she said she couldn't get me in until the next week, so I had to live with crooked hair for a while. I have used Frankies Day Spa and Salon on Orchard Mesa ever since. They are great and very nice.

There are several nice places to eat in GJ, although they fill up rather quickly on a weekend. Dolce Vida downtown has good Italian, Suehiro (sp) has good Japanese, and the Winery is supposed to be fantastic, but I have never eaten there. Like the previous poster said, nightlife is going to be a bit limited in GJ. Usually you can find something going on at Boomers, usually Jazz, if you like live music and dancing. The Avalon has good movies if there is one playing. I believe they are matinees on the weekend. One thing that I find difficult about GJ is the lack of advertising for things. Often I don't hear about something until after the fact. One place you should look for happenings around town in the Source publication that comes out of Fridays in the Daily Sentinel.

The lack of things to do and good restaraunts is one of the reasons I am leaving Grand Junction. I'm sure it will get better as more people move in, but I have had enough after 5 years! Hope you have a nice birthday wherever that may be!

Old 04-02-2008, 02:23 PM

15 posts, read 136,186 times
Smile not necessarily clubs...

thanks for the info- as far as nightlife, I don't necessarily mean clubs- mainly something to do. it's just nice to get out and do something- anything.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:55 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,870,362 times
I don't like clubs either, but this town seems to shut down around 11pm, unless you want to go to the few clubs that are open. I'm not one for hanging out with a bunch of drunk, violent people, which is what I have seen in GJ. I'm not sure when they will start again, but downtown has the first Friday Art Hop. You might look into that and see if it is going on this weekend. Also, the Wells Fargo Art and Jazz Festival will be coming next month, which is 3 days of good music and lots of Arts and Crafts downtown. There are several summer festivals as well, including the Thurs. Farmers Market. I know that doesn't help you this weekend, but it is something to do in the summer. Usually our "going out" nights are either to dinner and a movie, or to friends' houses. Every once in a while there will be a decent band that comes through worth seeing. Wilco is coming March 7. Not sure if you like them, but they are a pretty big name to come to GJ. Hope you find something to do!

Old 12-14-2012, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 8,738 times
Default New guy needs some plugs

Hello there. I'm 26 and I've just recently moved here from Oklahoma and was wondering if anyone could help me out. Where/what are some good hangouts, bars, lounges, restaurants, ect..... thanx

Old 12-15-2012, 10:05 AM

12,061 posts, read 13,961,429 times
Go up on the Grand Mesa and spent it at Powderhorn, Thunder Mountain or one of the other lodges up there. Drive to Ouray and spend the weekend.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:35 AM

7,805 posts, read 17,571,559 times
I prefer to eat at home...the food is much better than the food at any of the restaurants in Grand Junction. If you enjoy the simple pleasure of great pizza, go to the Hot Tomato in Fruita. Not a hang out, but the pizza is fantastic, and there are some good brews on tap to accommodate the pizza.

I'm often out hiking on the trails along Little Park Road, just before and after sunset. The lights coming on in the valley is quite a sight to behold. I never grow tired of seeing the twinkling lights below. Another great overlook for observing the lights in the Grand Valley is Cold Shivers Point, a few miles up the road from the east entrance to the Colorado National Monument. The grandaddy of all local overlooks is Lands End on the Grand Mesa.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 12-15-2012 at 11:52 AM..

Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,333,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdela View Post
Hello there. I'm 26 and I've just recently moved here from Oklahoma and was wondering if anyone could help me out. Where/what are some good hangouts, bars, lounges, restaurants, ect..... thanx
AleHouse and Kannah Creek Brew Pub. Both have good microbrews and both are on 12th Street.
If you like Sushi, Zen Garden is excellent.
For wings, Roosters off the I-70 business loop.
For breakfast I liked Main Street Cafe

Old 12-16-2012, 10:08 AM

7,805 posts, read 17,571,559 times
80skeys wrote: AleHouse and Kannah Creek Brew Pub. Both have good microbrews and both are on 12th Street.

Agreed!

Kannah Creek especially, has some excellent award winning brews. The food at both places is however mediocre at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado