Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 07:52 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
There is plenty of hate and intolerance from the Democrats. I agree with interloper1138 that voting along party lines without bothering to educate yourself about individual candidates is incredibly irresponsible. I consider myself a small-l libertarian, so that is not an option for me anyway.
False equivalence IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 08:02 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
I can't see how my county clerk's opinion...
You elect a GOPer county clerk who becomes a state rep who becomes a US rep and there you are—a
Dumpster® lover affecting the lives of millions of people.
Evil needs to be stamped out early and often.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:32 PM

317 posts, read 474,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You elect a GOPer county clerk who becomes a state rep who becomes a US rep and there you are—a
Dumpster® lover affecting the lives of millions of people.
Evil needs to be stamped out early and often.
And if my county clerk were to run for state office and campaigned in the same way that my incumbent state rep (Scott Tipton) currently is, they wouldn't get my vote.

A county clerk, while still serving in a public servant capacity, is realistically more of a public sector worker than they are a politician. By taking your argument a step further, I wonder if you're inadvertently saying that republicans shouldn't even have jobs? Should my county coroner be denied office simply on the basis of their political party? I just don't like where that line of logic is headed.

Look, all I'm saying is I'm with you when it comes to getting our country back on a more thoughtful, reasoned, and compassionate track. However, I'm not going to intentionally alienate myself from family members, friends, and neighbors who vote differently from me in order to do that.

We're too divided and that needs to end. Our country can't survive this way.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
We're too divided and that needs to end.
And, it will end when the last GOPer politician is sent to the metaphorical landfill.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:46 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
Quote:
Easy. Vote D across the board.
You will feel clean.
That's a very naive approach.

As much as I despise Trump and the Fed Republicans, some of the Rs on our ballot are frankly better for the job. For instance, Brian Watson has a much better solution to the PERA issue than Dave Young, and he's more qualified, even if he does look like some goof who hopped out of your TV as the western was playing. Also, I like Ken Montora more because I don't think CU is overly expensive (especially outside of Boulder) and CO citizens shouldn't pay more for tuition, like Lesley wants.

Here's my $.02 on this election:

1. We run a good risk of overdoing the sales tax. Most every funding increase is through that. Because of this, I voted up Prop 109 while voting against 110. If they need funding, they can put it on the ballot next year without a sales tax income source.

2. Amendment 74 sounds like a certain way to unleash a mire of litigation mess.

3. Prop 112, no, because there's not really a good argument against it and there's not much to protect in CO's drilling areas. It's not like that's the gorgeous part of the state.

5. Referred Measure 2E, no, because it sounds like an easy way for fringe candidates to use taxpayer funds for junk mail.

6. Ballot Issue 7G, yes, because flooding is the #1 natural disaster in terms of cost and preventative measures are better than FEMAing out residents who refused to pay more property tax.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:19 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
https://www.opensecrets.org/ - another great ballot resource - you can track campaign donations over $200 and go about it several ways - search and see who donated, search and see what organizations gave contributions to what candidates, or find out what a specific candidate has received, etc.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
That's a very naive approach.
As much as I despise Trump and the Fed Republicans, some of the Rs on our ballot are frankly better for the job.
It is not naïve.
The GOP is the Party of Hate®.
The party needs to die.
You cannot kill it if GOPers are elected.

P.S. Qualifications for the job are a luxury we can no longer afford.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:21 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
Quote:
It is not naïve.
The party needs to die.

I look at it the other way, qualified candidates are important, the parties shift around and aren't as big of a deal for things like State Treasurer.

GOP is out regardless of what the local candidates do. Their voting block is dying in nursing homes.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:37 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,054 times
Quote:
It is not naïve.
The party needs to die.

Your hyperpartisan hysterics aren't what was asked for and aren't welcome here. If all you are going to do is mindlessly bash Republicans please do it somewhere other than my thread. I'm not a Republican but you are actually making me more sympathetic to them.

otowi, thanks for the link.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:32 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

3. Prop 112, no, because there's not really a good argument against it and there's not much to protect in CO's drilling areas. It's not like that's the gorgeous part of the state.
The reason prop 112 is on the ballot is that they are trying to drill concentrated fracking pads in the suburbs of Denver. It is a big issue in Broomfield/Thornton and I would imagine also Aurora. Any place over a gas deposit. Please vote yes on it. The gases will contaminate all of the front range's air.

The only reason unsafe fracking is occurring is because it is the cheapest way to get the resources out right now. There will be other technologies in the future that are safer for our environment. Colorado should hold out for safer technologies and keep the environment as clean as we can. You can't go back and undo the contamination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado