Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 01:16 PM

432 posts, read 414,857 times

Advertisements

People from the Northeast and upper Midwest think of CO as pretty warm,and that the mountains are huge, but most consider it dry and barren, with little rivers and tiny natural lakes. There are some big reservoirs though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 01:43 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I think the part of Colorado the OP is looking for is called Arizona.
Nah. Extreme southern AZ. Northern AZ is pretty cold in winter.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:16 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
I got caught in a pretty nasty snowstorm between Gallup and Flagstaff back around 2000. Had to pull of at a truck stop for quite a few hours for it to blow over.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:55 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,700,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Nah. Extreme southern AZ. Northern AZ is pretty cold in winter.
There is even a ski hill in Flagstaff.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:35 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I got caught in a pretty nasty snowstorm between Gallup and Flagstaff back around 2000. Had to pull of at a truck stop for quite a few hours for it to blow over.
I got stuck in a Flagstaff area heavy snow in January a few years ago. Bringing a 2-seat roadster car back from SoCal to Albuquerque for a customer. Had to wait a day before I-40 was cleared enough to risk bringing the car eastward. The snow area extended almost to the east edge of the nat'l forest, by Grants, NM. Wasn't the first time that we had to get a motel in Flagstaff due to inclement weather driving conditions in the winter.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:34 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjshaw130 View Post
I love the mountains and I love lakes, the water, and boating. But I am looking for somewhat warmer winters... where should I go?
Bolivia. Lower elevations.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:44 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Definitely have to agree with everyone here...….if the OP is looking for a "warm winter" area, CO is OUT. But, the lakes (Reserviors) we went to there, were fine for us: Chatfield, CC and Horsetooth.

From 2004 thru summer of 2007, we had a bowrider boat at our old house in Parker, there was a lot of boating done on Chatfield and CC. During those years, we'd spend either Saturday, Sunday or both at Chatfield Reservoir fishing (No Wake area) or beaching the boat and relaxing on a sandy shore, during summer months. Sometimes we go to Cherry Creek Reservoir, but not as much as Chatfield. At either Reservoir, on a Saturday or Sunday at noon, the waiting line to launch a boat was pretty long. We've seen it where the entire parking lot was full of vehicles/trailers. Went to CC, without our boat, on Fathers Day and the line, to get into the launch area parking lot, went all the way back to almost the entrance to the Park. When we'd fish at Chatfield, and net the rainbows, the water wasn't that cold at all (at 10AM).

However, when we visited Boyd Lake State Park in Loveland, with no boat, this past July, we were very surprised at how cold the water was, compared to either Chatfield or CC. But, there were plenty of bowriders and pontoons on the lake and at the launch area. Even some water skiing and tubing done.

If the OP considers FL, where we currently are (northeastern), boating is NOT done year-around here in the northern part. As I write this posting, at 8:30AM, the temp outside is 33 degrees and we sometimes see a daytime high of 45. The lakes in Florida are fairly shallow and...…….gators can swim by your boat sometimes. Another thing to remember, what "brackish" and pure saltwater can do to an engine/outdrive (even with flushing each time). Boating is a big/major thing here, but we definitely prefer freshwater fishing/boating. Believe it or not, we just had our Cuddy Cabin boat completely winterized (block drained, fogged, gas treatment).

As for us, we are making plans on moving back to Colorado next summer. Florida, East Coast and Gulf States just aren't for us.

Good Luck to the OP, but Colorado isn't a "warm winter" spot!

Old 12-12-2018, 07:43 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjshaw130 View Post
Considering moving to CO. I love the mountains and I love lakes, the water, and boating. But I am looking for somewhat warmer winters. My friends fiance lived there for a short period of time, and says that lakes are not really a big thing in CO and water sports and boating aren't that big because the water is so cold. Looking for some guidance here. And if CO isn't the place then where should I go? Thanks!
What do you like besides mountains, lakes, water, and boating?

To what extent do you expect of either?

Do you have to have a mountain range as larger as the Rockies? If so, I would say western Oregon or Washington.

If you car more about water and less about mountains, Tennessee or North Carolina.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:50 PM

82 posts, read 77,911 times
Thank you everyone for your opinions. Colorado is an absolutely beautiful state, wish it was a little warmer so boating was a bigger thing there but it def seems like that will never be the case. Tennessee has been recommended quite a bit in another post I made. MY parents retired down there from CT. Sounds like CO may be a better vacation spot than a moving to spot for someone like me. Thanks!

Old 12-14-2018, 08:01 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
Boating is entirely possible in CO, it just isn't a pre-eminent recreation activity. There is typically fair distances between boatable lakes as well, if you want to avoid the huge crowds of the major Front Range cities. That means you are driving at least a couple hours or more to get to decent enough water to avoid the high traffic.

I've been water skiing on Twin Lakes and Turquoise Lake in the summer. Both sit around 10,000 ft and the water was chilly at around 60*. You can play in it, but you aren't just hanging out in the water extensively without a wet suit. To contrast that, I've also been boating on Highline Park in Grand Junction and John Martin Reservoir near La Junta which are down around 4500 ft and water temps are mid 70s. These certainly are enjoyable places to play in the warmer water and not very crowded. Travel time to either was several hours from my Colo Spgs location.

Maybe look in to suburbs of Phoenix. Despite being in the desert, the Phoenix valley has so many reservoirs around it, that you can be on a lake within 30-40 minutes from almost anyplace in the city. Overall temps are much higher though and the mountains are significantly different than new England or Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado