Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 08:54 AM

8,886 posts, read 20,271,752 times

Advertisements

During our years of boating in Colorado, both at Chatfield and CC, we were at the reservoirs by 8AM and fishing in No Wake by 9AM. If we stopped at Mickey D's for some breakfast, we'd still be at the Prep Area around 9AM. By noon, we were hitting the No Wake launch/retrieve docks, but were times we had to wait in the No Wake Area until there was space for us to pull up next to the dock and retrieve the boat. Most of the people who were launching at noon, had kids with them. Kids don't like getting up at 6:30AM to hook the boat up and leave.

IOW, very little traffic at the ramp or on the lake, when we arrived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 11:09 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,805,399 times
California, even though many of the "lakes" have drought problems. Shasta Lake, Lake Isabella, Lake Havasu, Castaic Lake, and so on.

You might look at the Upland South too (Rend Lake, Land Between the Lakes, so on).

Old 12-14-2018, 08:45 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,016,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
if, by "warmer winters" … you mean a place where there's no snow or cold/blustery weather during the winter months …

then Colorado is not for you.

Altitude in Colorado brings cold weather throughout the entire state, which includes the mountains and the plains on the eastern side of the state.

If you really want year-around boating, check out the lower elevation states … possibly the SE USA. Arkansas or Louisiana
might offer the combination of lakes/boating and milder climate for you. The "hill" country there will give you those "mountain vistas" of scenery … lush wooded areas, but without being at high enough altitude to bring on the cold snowy weather of Colorado winters.
I totally agree with this reply The SE has LOTS of huge reservoirs (man-made lakes)-- Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas, and many others (even Arizona, believe it or not.)

Old 12-15-2018, 11:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,611 posts, read 57,588,206 times
no warm winter weather, warm water in Colorado.

Where else (you ask)?
Mtn + warm Water sports = lots of nice islands in the world

in USA... TN has a lot of both. (smaller mtns, but nice + some snow)

Consider NE TN adjacent to NC and KT and Virginia (s)
Much less expensive housing costs than western USA.

CA if you can afford it

AZ as an option if you enjoy desert / arid climate.

TX is pretty short on mtns, and water levels vary a lot (Drought / irrigation)

Old 12-20-2018, 06:15 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,941,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I think the part of Colorado the OP is looking for is called Arizona.
And maybe just plain old Mesa instead of the Grand Mesa!

Old 12-24-2018, 06:49 AM

2,350 posts, read 2,607,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
And maybe just plain old Mesa instead of the Grand Mesa!
Oh good god, I would take the Grand Mesa over Mesa any day. Can you say “fry an egg on my forehead.”

Old 12-24-2018, 09:08 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,941,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Oh good god, I would take the Grand Mesa over Mesa any day. Can you say “fry an egg on my forehead.”
I was in Mesa during July one year. I think it was hot enough to cook the egg as it was being poured on to the pavement. Gotta be a heat lover to live in a place like that.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:21 PM

185 posts, read 403,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I was in Mesa during July one year. I think it was hot enough to cook the egg as it was being poured on to the pavement. Gotta be a heat lover to live in a place like that.
I did my time in hell, er, I mean, Phoenix, back in the '70s. The summertime heat was unbearable, and it's gotten exponentially more crowded and unlivable since then. No thanks.

Last edited by Okie7597; 12-24-2018 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado