Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 09:25 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,742,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
68-degree water happens in some reservoirs. Don’t expect it in the mountain areas, where summer water temp might reach only the low 50s.

The biggest diff from CA (water wise) will be the much shorter watersport season. Many months shorter. That and, of course, far fewer venues, none of them oceanic. CO water is downright boring compared to any coastal state’s, unless you want whitewater boating.
I'm ok with boring, and/or small. When I lived in Orlando I didn't get to the coast much, I just want to have the option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 09:32 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Pueblo Reservoir, a state park, has the longest open season, and it is pretty warm in that area.

Not sure what “semiurban” is. Pueblo is a small to medium city.

If you want to live in the Denver area, I agree that Aurora Reservoir is, hands down, the nicest place for self-powered watersports. You can also boat with electric trolling motors.

Read up on CO’s requirements regarding Aquatic Nuisance Species. Rules vary by jurisdiction.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:27 PM

670 posts, read 1,052,766 times
I have SUPs and kayaks and we use them quite often summer through fall. Although the water in most of our lakes and reservoirs can be cold for swimming it’s fine for SUPs (although definitely cooler than 68 degrees in most places). Stand up paddle boarding is very popular here, there are even clubs and meet ups and most lakes now have rentals available. The bigger problem on some of the lakes can be wind, that’s why we take the kayaks and the boards; if it’s too windy we don’t bother with the SUPs and go out in our kayaks.

My favorite spots to SUP and kayak are places we like to camp at, Steamboat Lake, Pearl Lake, Ridgway Reservoir, Paonia Reservoir, Lake Irwin and Lost Lake near Crested Butte, Vega Reservoir, Haviland Lake near Durango to name a few.

Closer to home (Colorado Springs) for day trips Rampart Range Reservoir and Eleven Mile Reservoir but usually only take the kayaks to Eleven Mile; the wind up there and the cold water makes SUPs pretty dicey. We go up to the reservoirs off the Pikes Peak Highway but during tourist season on the weekends you can get stuck in traffic jams of people driving up to Pikes Peak. For a quick after work or lunch hour paddle hubby and I head over to Prospect Lake near downtown, we live in central COS so it’s only a few minutes drive. It’s a small lake but they have designated days for hand propelled watercraft so it’s great to get a quick workout. In the summer months there is SUP yoga several mornings a week.

I do need to note though that many of the lakes have State Park or use fees.

Last edited by StarrySkiesAbove; 01-06-2019 at 10:48 PM..

Old 01-07-2019, 07:18 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,742,177 times
Thanks StarrySkiesAbove. pikabike, semi-urban just means I want to be in an area with some tall buildings, nice restaurants, bars and nightlife, but not too much. It's hard to explain. In Orlando we were in a neighborhood considered dense by their standards, but not at all dense compared to SD. And I had a few good breweries, bottleshops, bars and restaurants within 3 miles to frequent.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:38 AM

6,823 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Pueblo is something I would consider given your list. Lake Pueblo is well known for water recreation and has about the longest season for Colorado. But, a lot of our urban areas don't have many 'tall buildings', including Pueblo. Another possibility is John Martin Reservoir, but it gets a lot more rural out that way - you'd be looking at La Junta or Lamar, which are both less than 10,000 people.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:39 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Thanks StarrySkiesAbove. pikabike, semi-urban just means I want to be in an area with some tall buildings, nice restaurants, bars and nightlife, but not too much. It's hard to explain. In Orlando we were in a neighborhood considered dense by their standards, but not at all dense compared to SD. And I had a few good breweries, bottleshops, bars and restaurants within 3 miles to frequent.
It seems like you’re looking for the Denver suburbs. Have you ever been here?

Old 01-07-2019, 10:42 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post
I have SUPs and kayaks and we use them quite often summer through fall. Although the water in most of our lakes and reservoirs can be cold for swimming it’s fine for SUPs (although definitely cooler than 68 degrees in most places). Stand up paddle boarding is very popular here, there are even clubs and meet ups and most lakes now have rentals available. The bigger problem on some of the lakes can be wind, that’s why we take the kayaks and the boards; if it’s too windy we don’t bother with the SUPs and go out in our kayaks.

My favorite spots to SUP and kayak are places we like to camp at, Steamboat Lake, Pearl Lake, Ridgway Reservoir, Paonia Reservoir, Lake Irwin and Lost Lake near Crested Butte, Vega Reservoir, Haviland Lake near Durango to name a few.

Closer to home (Colorado Springs) for day trips Rampart Range Reservoir and Eleven Mile Reservoir but usually only take the kayaks to Eleven Mile; the wind up there and the cold water makes SUPs pretty dicey. We go up to the reservoirs off the Pikes Peak Highway but during tourist season on the weekends you can get stuck in traffic jams of people driving up to Pikes Peak. For a quick after work or lunch hour paddle hubby and I head over to Prospect Lake near downtown, we live in central COS so it’s only a few minutes drive. It’s a small lake but they have designated days for hand propelled watercraft so it’s great to get a quick workout. In the summer months there is SUP yoga several mornings a week.

I do need to note though that many of the lakes have State Park or use fees.
This^^^

I also replied to your original post as well with more details. SUPing in CO is definitely possible and very popular.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:30 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
If by tall buildings you mean skyscrapers, Denver is the only CO city that matches.

It’s not semiurban, though. The suburbs might do for you, unless you want nightlife, bars, restaurants in walking distance. As long as you don’t mind driving on often-crowded roads, there is a decent choice of reservoirs to SUP on in the warm season.

City of Lakewood (more like a big, spread-out suburb starting on the western edge of Denver) has a municipal park with two small lakes. I think one of them, Big Soda, is entirely nonmotorized use, and the other one, Bear Creek Lake, allows trolling motors but not powerboats.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:50 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Sacramento/ Sierra foothill/Lake Tahoe, CA fit your description

Old 01-08-2019, 09:24 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
I'd like to potentially move to a place in Colorado with

-Lakes that warm up enough in the summer to boat on, or at least stand up paddle on
-Lots of sun
-A semi urban environment. I want to be able to do some cool city stuff, but also get away from it when I want (Denver is too urban for me)
Grand Lake, Colorado?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado