Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What’s next for Hick?
Make a run at The Oval Office 7 33.33%
Waltz in to a Senate seat 9 42.86%
Go quietly in to that good night 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 10:10 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think he's too old to be planning a run in 2024 (he'd be 72) and esp. 2028 (76).

I think he's got a far better shot at taking down Cory Gardner than he does at winning the Democratic presidential nomination. The reality is that at this moment in time, being a (somewhat) older, white, male isn't going to excite the Democratic base.

But I would definitely be happy to see him run for Senate, and frankly, I think if he announced for that sooner rather than later, that would pretty much clear the path of many of the better known likely candidates.
Excellent analysis. I think Hick would be an easy Senate win given his popularity around the state.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 10:14 AM

780 posts, read 425,392 times
Quote:
I think he's too old to be planning a run in 2024 (he'd be 72) and esp. 2028 (76).

I think he's got a far better shot at taking down Cory Gardner than he does at winning the Democratic presidential nomination. The reality is that at this moment in time, being a (somewhat) older, white, male isn't going to excite the Democratic base.

But I would definitely be happy to see him run for Senate, and frankly, I think if he announced for that sooner rather than later, that would pretty much clear the path of many of the better known likely candidates.
I agree he'd probably be too old. Not that he wouldn't have the stamina for it (the last pool of presidential candidates were in their late 60s and 70s), but because I think we need younger candidates in general. The Baby Boomers have been surpassed now by Millennials in terms of demographic size. The oldest Millennials are nearing 40. Gen Xers are in their formidable candidate years (aged well, but not too much). We need a fresh perspective that addresses some of the issues of our younger citizens. Dems need to do a better job of recruiting younger candidates. They're still floating the idea of Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, and Bernie Sanders, and Nancy Pelosi was all but guaranteed the House leadership position. God bless 'em, but it's time to pave the way for the next gen.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:33 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
I agree he'd probably be too old. Not that he wouldn't have the stamina for it (the last pool of presidential candidates were in their late 60s and 70s), but because I think we need younger candidates in general. The Baby Boomers have been surpassed now by Millennials in terms of demographic size. The oldest Millennials are nearing 40. Gen Xers are in their formidable candidate years (aged well, but not too much). We need a fresh perspective that addresses some of the issues of our younger citizens. Dems need to do a better job of recruiting younger candidates. They're still floating the idea of Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, and Bernie Sanders, and Nancy Pelosi was all but guaranteed the House leadership position. God bless 'em, but it's time to pave the way for the next gen.
Well, I don't have any issues with Nancy Pelosi as speaker, at least for now, although I would not expect her to be the Speaker again if the Dems hold the House in 2020. But I do think she was the only choice for right now - she's damn good at the job and has the necessary mental strength to do it (some say a spine made of steel, others say a different body part made of brass ) At this point, it seems like Hakeem Jeffries is the next in line, so hopefully once the shutdown is over and we get back to the ordinary course of business, she'll start giving him opportunities to raise his profile.

But the others, yes, I'm done with all 3 of them - and I remain a Hillary Clinton supporter and think that absent Comey and Russian interference, she'd be president right now. But I don't want to see her run in 2020, despite that. It is time to move on to the next class of candidates.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:36 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
For President, I am not supporting anyone over the age of 56. It is time for us Boomers and the Oldsters to exit the stage.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:25 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
For President, I am not supporting anyone over the age of 56. It is time for us Boomers and the Oldsters to exit the stage.
Same unless the Dems somehow nominate one. I certainly won’t vote for that person in the primary.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:59 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
My age cut off is a little more flexible - for instance, Amy Klobuchar is 58, and I would not rule her out.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
My age cut off is a little more flexible - for instance, Amy Klobuchar is 58, and I would not rule her out.
Ha! Maybe I should say no straight white males over 56.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:08 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
The irony is that both parties could use pragmatic candidates like Hickenlooper. Each party is so concerned with "energizing the base" that they're in a race to the bottom with all the candidates trying to out-demagogue each other. The end result is predictably a clown car full of morons. I'm hopeful that this will eventually lead to a viable third-party to offset the idiocy of the two major parties.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The irony is that both parties could use pragmatic candidates like Hickenlooper. Each party is so concerned with "energizing the base" that they're in a race to the bottom with all the candidates trying to out-demagogue each other. The end result is predictably a clown car full of morons. I'm hopeful that this will eventually lead to a viable third-party to offset the idiocy of the two major parties.
I think you’re right to some extent, but Hillary was the definition of a pragmatist and couldn’t win in the general. I suspect that had more to do with years of “Clinton baggage” more than her being a pragmatist though. I’d like to see Amy Klobuchar or Kirsten Gillibrand.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:51 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
FWIW, I'm a woman (age 65) who had always voted for the Democratic POTUS candidate until 2012, and I think that Hilary's worse problem was Hilary herself. She struck me as being just as arrogant as Trump, although much more "polished" and "political" than he was,, but she alienated moderates such as myself with some of her statements. She didn't seem to realize that she needed more support than just other avowed liberals like herself.

Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited by katharsis; 01-08-2019 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado