Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 11:14 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,054,276 times

Advertisements

I'm almost at the point where I've made the decision to move to Durango, but I wanted to check out the Carbondale & Basalt area in central Colorado first.

I'm curious to know how that area would compare to Durango in terms of outdoor acitivities & ammenities?
If anyone lives there or travels there frequently, what are your thoughts on the area? How's the quality of life?

It seems like it would be an awesome, picturesque place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 11:58 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,054,460 times
We lived in Basalt years ago, we’re now in the Vail area and still visit frequently. I do like it there but you should look closely at the cost of living between Durango and Basalt/Carbondale. Since they are feeder communities for Aspen, real estate prices are pretty much outrageous.

Access to the outdoors and great skiing, hiking, biking, fishing is easy. There is a Whole Foods in Basalt (it’s a big deal up here since the only other one is in Frisco). Glenwood Springs has a Target and Lowe’s. It’s about an hour to the Eagle airport and a bit more than 3 to Denver.

I haven’t been to Durango in forever but it’s more laid back then the Aspen area, most everything is but for someone coming from New England, it’s all laid back out here.

Best advice, as always, visit first.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:02 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,690,365 times
We actually considered moving there for retirement. On plus side is they are pretty, there is a really nice bike path running all the way to Aspen, there are some good restaurants and decent grocery shopping.
On the negative side, there's one way in and one way out, so 82 will get busy in winter and summer.
Winters are winter. Expect cold and snow. You are in a valley so your world will be a bit more myopic. Expect housing to be more expensive and have less options.
Things I am not sure about are availability of medical/hospital. Diversity of flights out of Aspen.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:26 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Masterful, do you have any other specific needs or criteria? Will you be looking for a job, working remotely or retired? What about medical care?

Do you have a housing budget? Have you looked on-line at houses in both Durango and Carbondale/Basalt areas?

Do you need to be close to a major airport?

Have you ever lived in a rural mountain town?

Old 04-23-2019, 03:38 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,054,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Masterful, do you have any other specific needs or criteria? Will you be looking for a job, working remotely or retired? What about medical care?

Do you have a housing budget? Have you looked on-line at houses in both Durango and Carbondale/Basalt areas?

Do you need to be close to a major airport?

Have you ever lived in a rural mountain town?
I would spend around two million or less for a home, three+ if it comes with a decent amount of land or has some special quality, like an amazing view of a river gorge. I don't like traveling by air, so being near airports isn't a necessity. I lived in Asheville NC for less than a year and I absolutely loved the surrounding rural regions. My experience there is what motivated me to seek a locale out west so I can experience some real mountain living.

Durango and Carbondale-Basalt have quite a few nice homes in my price range. I do like the fact that Carbondale is closer to bigger cities like Grand Junction & Denver, and of course beautiful little Aspen.

Durango is kind of isolated in the SW part of the state.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:00 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Carbondale and Basalt will offer quicker access to major cities. With your budget, you actually have choices. All are beautiful areas.

Politics might matter to some folks, so IF that is a big factor to you, check out that aspect as well.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:10 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,769,080 times
Durango would be 3 hours drive to GJ, 4 from Albuquerque / Santa Fe, at least 5 from Colorado Springs, 6 from Denver. In good weather.

Some people get bored of Durango, if they want urban life. It has some but maybe not enough for evertybody. Renting for a summer or year is usually good precaution.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:35 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,042,545 times
Anywhere in the Roaring Fork Valley, from Glenwood Springs on down to Aspen, would IMO be a fantastic place to live for lovers of mountain activities. I haven't researched what sort of medical care is available in the area. I would expect Aspen to have good emergency facilities, but anything complicated would need to happen in Denver(?).

My very first backpacking trip as a teenager was in the Elk Mountains outside of Aspen, so there is a soft spot in my heart for this area.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:31 AM

949 posts, read 571,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Durango would be 3 hours drive to GJ, 4 from Albuquerque / Santa Fe, at least 5 from Colorado Springs, 6 from Denver. In good weather.

Some people get bored of Durango, if they want urban life. It has some but maybe not enough for evertybody. Renting for a summer or year is usually good precaution.
If you get bored in Durango then you are truly a city person.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:32 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,769,080 times
Yeah. But Durango is basically 10 blocks of downtown and 1 long commercial strip on either end, with a second downtown street with a few things on it over a couple of blocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado