Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2019, 09:19 AM

98 posts, read 62,633 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'll be spending 3 months in San Fransisco with my family. August to October.

My wife and daughters (5 and 7 years old) have never seen snow in their lives as we are from Brazil.

We are not skiers or snowboarders we just want to play with snow, make puppets, slide, just basic stuff for people that never touched snow before.

Is there a place in the Rockies that we could have fun with snow in mid-October?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 09:40 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,298,292 times
October is iffy. Closrest to Denver is Mt Evans.

Closer to SF, you may try the Lake Tahoe area, about a 4 hour drive from SF.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:45 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
The farther north in the Rockies, the more likely.

This is not really a Q for the CO forum. Your location might be in Canada, depending on how long the current snowpack lasts over the summer.

Could get early and heavy snow in fall, or none to speak of.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:58 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Colorado is a fairly long trip from the Bay Area just to see snow. As Barry said, you might find it closer in the Sierras between Sacramento and Reno. You might also try the Central and Southern Cascades. Mount Hood or the Bend area may have some accessible snow, and they're closer than, say, Rocky Mountain National Park.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:15 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,934,737 times
It all depends. I have seen it snow in Denver on Labor Day weekend, but that's pretty unusual. However, even up in the mountains Colorado may not experience much in the way of snow until after Thanksgiving. Our Rocky Mountain climate can be very unpredictable. You may be better off checking out what is going on in the Sierra Nevada - which is much closer to San Francisco and which can get some snow storms at its higher elevations as soon as October. Keep an eye on the weather forecast for the mountain regions and try to remain flexible about which state(s) you think you might be fun to visit - Colorado, Montana, Wyoming and the high Sierra, as well as the Cascade mountains in Washington and Oregon may all offer you that special chance to experience snow before you go back home.

I was fortunate enough to spend some time living in Brazil when I was in college. I absolutely loved it! The people were so nice, the beaches were beautiful, and the Brazilian culture is fascinating. I hope you enjoy San Francisco and the rest of the US as much as I enjoyed your country.

Hope you find lots of snow to play in before you have to go back to your wonderful country!

Old 05-28-2019, 10:27 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Silverton, Telluride, Ouray.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

I was fortunate enough to spend some time living in Brazil when I was in college. I absolutely loved it! The people were so nice, the beaches were beautiful, and the Brazilian culture is fascinating. I hope you enjoy San Francisco and the rest of the US as much as I enjoyed your country.

Hope you find lots of snow to play in before you have to go back to your wonderful country!
Thanks for all your info and I am glad you had a good time here!

Yeah our beaches are wonderful. But too bad we don't have snow anywhere...

Old 05-28-2019, 01:31 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,298,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Clua View Post
Yeah our beaches are wonderful. But too bad we don't have snow anywhere...
Go south! I spent 2 weeks in Patagonia (both Chile and Argentina) in December. Third largest ice fields in the world (after Antarctica and Greenland).

Old 05-29-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Go south! I spent 2 weeks in Patagonia (both Chile and Argentina) in December. Third largest ice fields in the world (after Antarctica and Greenland).
Yeah I've been in Argentina many times but never where there is snow like Patagonia or in the Andes. Sounds like a plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado