Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 01:35 PM

16 posts, read 17,177 times

Advertisements

I KNOW that no where is perfect, and that i can't have everything i am looking for, so please dont be rude. This place may not even exist in CO, just lemme know what towns it most sounds like though, looking to take trips out there before moving and want specific towns/cities to visit. Here is what i am looking for...

1. Clean air year round - if possible, i know the warmer weather i prefer usually means worse air
2. Moderate/hot temps - 4 seasons is chill, but looking for low humidity, warmer climate vs colder climate
3. Lower Population - between 1k -90k population.
4. Affordable - homes renting under $1k and small homes selling under $100k
5. Forest - want to live in more rural settings, in forest or near river or lake, I love the outdoors
6. Natural Living - organic foods, farmer market, farm to table, local buying, medical marijuana
7. Community - eco friendly folks, hippies, spiritual openness, intellectuals, community connection

places ive been that remind me of this "perfect place" in my mind for reference (minus affordable living):
a. santa cruz, ca
c. san luis obispo, ca
d. grass valley, ca
e. cottonwood, az
f.. tuba city, az
g. talent, or
h. san marcos, tx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 01:59 PM

317 posts, read 475,181 times
Your budget and climate requirements make Colorado an unlikely fit. You would need to be willing to accept much higher housing costs and colder temperatures in winter in order to get what you're looking for.

If you're willing to sacrifice these requirements, some towns that come to mind:

- Palisade
- Paonia
- Crestone
- Nederland
- Salida
- Durango

I can think of no town that meets ALL of your requirements, though.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:03 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Ouray, Telluride, Ridgway. Bring LOTS of money.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:10 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Item #2 rules out Colorado: "2. Moderate/hot temps - 4 seasons is chill, but looking for low humidity, warmer climate vs colder climate"

IMO the "moderate/hot" temps rules out COLO and to get that with low humidity you probably should look in UT, NV, NM, and AZ. IMO
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:28 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,067 times
We do not really have 4 seasons here, pretty much spring/fall are over pretty quickly before the heat and cold set it and everything dies.

The "300 Days of Sunshine" is also suspect: Colorado sunshine is more myth than science

Only a few more years until I retire- grew up here and can not wait to bail!

Old 05-29-2019, 03:35 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Maybe Pueblo - doesn't hit everything on your list but comes close on several.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:47 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,067 times
Get 12 roommates and rent a house on th California coast.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:53 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Sorry, but there are no warmer climates in Colorado. This has been discussed many times; people think that if they are in the south part of the state or out on the plains it will be warmer, but it's not.

Also, as has been said, your budget is quite low. Especially homes selling for under $100,000. You might be able to find a tiny house somewhere, but not much else.

I'm always amazed at how cheap prices are in Texas, Arkansas, Kentucky, etc. Maybe you should be looking there.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:39 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
OP: Sounds to me you want an environment and costs that no longer exist.

If you have a time machine, try Santa Barbara in about 1959

Old 05-30-2019, 09:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Where in Co should i move for good health alone?

NOT Front Range(Pollution and CoL)

As mentioned...
- Palisade
- Paonia
- Crestone

For CO, I would look to Delta area...

I would also suggest looking into Los Alamos, NM or other National Lab locations (Nice destinations, nice intellectual, healthy (active) communities, but often NOT liberal (tho OPEN MINDED / inquisitive / informed )

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
We do not really have 4 seasons here, pretty much spring/fall are over pretty quickly before the heat and cold set it and everything dies.

The "300 Days of Sunshine" is also suspect: Colorado sunshine is more myth than science

Only a few more years until I retire- grew up here and can not wait to bail!
I was LHS grad early 70's... and survived in CO ALMOST until 1980 (until chased out by people and property taxes... lost the family ranch to the tax assessor... it is now a Mtn Bike / hiking county park (NO more direct tax revenue, but not more Cow Pies either )

My current county (not Colorado) also has it's eye on my property and has acquired neighbor places via 'living estate', When they die.. the neighbor's property will go back under county management. I can stay, as long as I can afford to pay the current tax rate ($46/ day (up from $3/day). They bulldozed one neighbor house after acquiring property for $3m. (returning the land to 'nature')

Then... I will have to 'Bail' again (3rd time taxes reaped my farm property)

Takes many yrs to build a farm... soils, orchards, water systems, conservation, buildings, fences...

Colorado was nice while it lasted...
I now have 300 days of drizzle (actually only 280/ yr), so I travel a lot, including Colorado (nicer to visit than to live (IMHO / based on this chapter of life). )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado