Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 02:33 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times

Advertisements

Growing up in the east, my knowledge of CO population centers before moving there was mostly relegated to the cities of Denver and CO springs, as well as "it" mountain towns, namely Aspen, Vail, Steamboat Springs, Crested Butte, and Telluride. So that size is what I think of here. A lot of the towns/locations mentioned so far in this thread are cool places to visit or even live, but I just don't think GJ or Fairplay will be the next Steamboat.

The towns that come to mind for me are Carbondale, Eagle, BV, Salida, Avon/Eagle-Vail, and Durango. And I'm surprised no one's mentioned Glenwood Springs, which I think has way more immediate potential to become the new hip spot than Rifle or New Castle. Of course, most of the places I mentioned have already been discovered and are prohibitively expensive for most people to live in, they just aren't as well known outside the state and aren't legendary "it" towns yet, but give them time...

Old 07-09-2019, 06:05 AM

2,484 posts, read 2,702,622 times
Avon, Eagle, even Edwards are already part of the Vail megaplex.

Same goes for Carbondale, Basalt and Glenwood. They are an extension of Aspen with different RE price points.

Speaking of Glenwood, they really screwed up the new entrance to town. The roundabouts and new bridge do nothing for the traffic backups on 82 and actually they make it more confusing and cut off some local businesses. Whoever designed that should lose their job. Glenwood has jumped the shark.

Durango can’t be the new “it” when it already has been on the tourist track for years and years.

I am still throwing my hat into something that still feels like a very different part of Colorado, not the same ole mountain town we’ve seen before. Palisade-Grand Junction.
https://youtu.be/cs5FHADGrFY

Old 07-09-2019, 08:15 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
As more and more people can work remotely, I think a lot of places will grow, and with year 'round residents. I do think anything near a ski area is more likely if it hasn't already.

Anecdotally, I see more people moving to Ridgway and the area and working from home.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:38 AM

432 posts, read 414,985 times
Yampa.
Pressure coming from Steamboat in the north and Vail from the south.
If the Stagecoach Ski Area happens it will go gangbusters.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:39 AM

Nice little write up on Palisade in a Utah magazine.

https://issuu.com/cityweeklynewspape...hCblNOncczDGAE

Old 07-09-2019, 12:12 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,252,297 times
Im leaning towards keeping secret spots I like.. Somewhat fun when they grow but the end result moves toward big and crowded..

Old 07-09-2019, 01:22 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Avon, Eagle, even Edwards are already part of the Vail megaplex.

Same goes for Carbondale, Basalt and Glenwood. They are an extension of Aspen with different RE price points.

Speaking of Glenwood, they really screwed up the new entrance to town. The roundabouts and new bridge do nothing for the traffic backups on 82 and actually they make it more confusing and cut off some local businesses. Whoever designed that should lose their job. Glenwood has jumped the shark.

Durango can’t be the new “it” when it already has been on the tourist track for years and years.

I am still throwing my hat into something that still feels like a very different part of Colorado, not the same ole mountain town we’ve seen before. Palisade-Grand Junction.
https://youtu.be/cs5FHADGrFY
Well, and I also realize that Vail's not really a town, but I do think that especially Eagle has its own identity. It's 30+ miles west, and when you're there it certainly doesn't feel like it's connected to a "Megaplex." Again, I'm talking about my perception of what an "it" CO town is on par with the places I mentioned. And again, while many people in CO know about these places, most people elsewhere are still unfamiliar with random Western Slope towns including Lower Roaring Fork places like Carbondale or Glenwood Springs, which I think fit the description. And while your real estate assessment is fairly accurate, neither feel like extensions of Aspen at all.

I realize that you're pushing hard for GJ and Palisade, which I do like quite a bit. But despite the surrounding mesas, they have much more of a sparse desert feel than a nestled town in the mountains. Along with Fruita, there's definitely some fun little places and a lot of activities in and around the area. And we loved the proximity to places like Moab, the San Juans, Dinosaur NM, etc. etc... But Grand Valley itself is hot, brown, dusty and conservative. I know that it's changing a little bit socially, and may be appealing to Front Rangers looking for recreational opportunities minus the crowds. But I don't think that there's an automatic reciprocity to the point where everyone or nearly everyone would simply move there if they could, or just because it's that much more affordable. It's definitely an acquired taste.

As much as I wanted it to, when we researched our move out of the Glenwood Springs area we looked at cities of similar size, including Flagstaff, Santa Fe, Missoula, Bend, and Bellingham. Junction just didn't make the cut.

I definitely see it as a growing adventure town, but with a more of a Mad Max than a Hot Dog or Hot Tub Time Machine vibe I just don't see it being the next Telluride or Steamboat (or Bend, for that matter).

Last edited by bartonizer; 07-09-2019 at 02:12 PM..

Old 07-09-2019, 05:55 PM

138 posts, read 266,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
The Pagosa area is one of the best in CO, and it's been prophesied to boom many times, but it hasn't ever really taken off like other towns, partially cause it missed the ski boom that bigger resorts had, but largely I think because it's too far. Too far for vacations from the front range and too far from a major city for potential retirees. However, as Durango grows, Pagosa might grow in tandem, as that will serve as their city for things you can't get in Pagosa.
It doesn't seem to be too far for the Texans...

Old 07-09-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Well, and I also realize that Vail's not really a town, but I do think that especially Eagle has its own identity. It's 30+ miles west, and when you're there it certainly doesn't feel like it's connected to a "Megaplex." Again, I'm talking about my perception of what an "it" CO town is on par with the places I mentioned. And again, while many people in CO know about these places, most people elsewhere are still unfamiliar with random Western Slope towns including Lower Roaring Fork places like Carbondale or Glenwood Springs, which I think fit the description. And while your real estate assessment is fairly accurate, neither feel like extensions of Aspen at all.

I realize that you're pushing hard for GJ and Palisade, which I do like quite a bit. But despite the surrounding mesas, they have much more of a sparse desert feel than a nestled town in the mountains. Along with Fruita, there's definitely some fun little places and a lot of activities in and around the area. And we loved the proximity to places like Moab, the San Juans, Dinosaur NM, etc. etc... But Grand Valley itself is hot, brown, dusty and conservative. I know that it's changing a little bit socially, and may be appealing to Front Rangers looking for recreational opportunities minus the crowds. But I don't think that there's an automatic reciprocity to the point where everyone or nearly everyone would simply move there if they could, or just because it's that much more affordable. It's definitely an acquired taste.

As much as I wanted it to, when we researched our move out of the Glenwood Springs area we looked at cities of similar size, including Flagstaff, Santa Fe, Missoula, Bend, and Bellingham. Junction just didn't make the cut.

I definitely see it as a growing adventure town, but with a more of a Mad Max than a Hot Dog or Hot Tub Time Machine vibe I just don't see it being the next Telluride or Steamboat (or Bend, for that matter).
We looked at a lot of other places before pulling the trigger. Most that you mention like Flagstaff, Santa Fe, Carbondale/Basalt, Glenwood, etc. Places in Nevada, Arizona and we decided on GJ. The climate was a big part of that. Mild, short, low snow winters. Hail is rare. Proximity to a jet service airport. Healthcare, recreation, no traffic, college town, spectacular view lots of the Colorado Monument- we paid cash for our house that in Denver would be 50% higher and we have unobstructed views of the park. Then add in close proximity to a fun wine region in Palisade, Moab, Telluride, etc and you end up with a lower cost of living base with everything we wanted.
Our neighbors have moved here from Atlanta, Charlotte, Traverse City, Milwaukee and the front range. Th city is changing from its old reputation of an “oil town”. One article in a Denver paper described GJ as Boulder 30 years ago. So call it an acquired taste, but many are acquiring that taste quickly.

Wine Enthusiast in 2018 rated it as one of the top ten wine getaways in the world to visit.
https://www.winemag.com/top-10-wine-...-colorado-usa/

Last edited by COcheesehead; 07-09-2019 at 07:40 PM..

Old 07-09-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post

“Hot, brown, dusty...” I agree.
Attached Thumbnails
Where is the next "it" mountain town?-9d9649db-4d6e-4268-8903-298402dd925b.jpeg   Where is the next "it" mountain town?-431db46c-12bb-4e58-8823-4c586fbaf4a5.jpeg   Where is the next "it" mountain town?-4d5faa57-a3b0-4a54-b046-c3ca418eecf0.jpeg  

Last edited by COcheesehead; 07-09-2019 at 08:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado