Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 10:11 AM

83 posts, read 59,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
OP take this advice! CA has gorgeous mountains with palm trees at the base of many of them. In reality, you should remain where you are until you have made changes that will help you thrive and survive in CO. You do know that having a Bachelors Degree in one area doesn't mean you must work IN that area?? I certainly would not let that stop me. You really sound like you are not ready to make such a move at this time. Good luck to you!
It’s suspicious that you guys are trying to get me to move to CA. Why do you even want me to go to CA when it’s, overall, more expensive than CO? I know there are cheaper areas in CA but the same can be said for CO. I guess CA may be less competitive and cut throat due to the fact that middle-class to upper-middle class people are fleeing the state and the opposite can be said for CO. Still, I don’t know how rational it is to move to CA. I feel like a cheap area of CO would be far better than a cheap area in CA..
I know I don’t but I’m not ready nor willing to go back to college to get another degree at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
yes ^^^

There are some very viable USA (and even Colorado) places to make a go, get a start, enjoy the region while earning 'pre-career' wages.

Then there are the areas that are NOT friendly to this option. (Seattle, DC metro, and Boston come to mind) Expensive to live, survive... and very aggressive career aspirations (Competition). Even tho you fight hard, you may not win. (or even survive).

I can easily think of (5) CO towns that fit the model. (they are not near Denver, they are not in the 'boonies')
What 5 CO towns fit that model?

Old 07-16-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
A Colorado boss relocated to No ID (home to WWII US Naval training base / Farragut*) to enjoy his deHavilland Beaver float plane, While in CO he enabled a lot of great High Tech jobs (we had over 12,000 in NoCO alone + Denver, Denver Tech, + COS..., now ALL gone, tho many workers stayed (Now bagging groceries). We were the second highest employer in Colorado (in the glory days of High Tech).

We used a float plane often when living on an island in BC, and in AK for summers.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farrag...aining_Station

OP... Please be advised... we ONLY know what you tell us, and we seek to HELP guide you to a successful transition (for you). As one who does hiring... this is Not too encouraging / motivating / showing initiative . As mentioned.. .. we only know very little (what you express here). Not sure I would move this resume to the 'Keeper File" (IMHO).

100% of us did a LOT of things we didn't like to get where we eventually got.

Cleaning 28 bathrooms / night was not great, some were 8 holers.
Being a caregiver for very thankless parents for 32 yrs was per Hxll... but... we all did some 'rock-climbing' in life.
The time to start is yesterday, tomorrow is not guaranteed to arrive. (I lost 3 friends this week, one on a motorcycle to a 'red-light runner' yesterday.) Colorado was brutal, I lost classmates and friends every yr. Plenty in the Big T Flood (1976). Just a few of the battles we have fought.

BTW: We have ALL BTDT
Sorry! I didn’t realize this was a job interview and that you are the gatekeeper who gets to decides who is and isn’t worthy of migrating to the great state of Colorado..

Old 07-16-2019, 02:19 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
OP take this advice! CA has gorgeous mountains with palm trees at the base of many of them. In reality, you should remain where you are until you have made changes that will help you thrive and survive in CO. You do know that having a Bachelors Degree in one area doesn't mean you must work IN that area?? I certainly would not let that stop me. You really sound like you are not ready to make such a move at this time. Good luck to you!
This does not look like advice to move to CA or anywhere else. It looks like advice to stay put and acquire what skills you need to make enough money to live somewhere that, at present, you would have trouble competing in. You didn’t say why you consider your degree useless. Many bachelor’s degree holders find work outside their fields of study (I did), because a college degree usually demonstrates ability to think independently and learn, if nothing else.

But you have to be willing to find such work, and it usually also involves on-the-job SELF-training to a large extent. Nobody is going to treat a BA- or BS-holding new hire as someone who needs handholding. (There’s the initiative, or part of it.)

It’s like saving up money to buy something LATER instead of putting it on plastic and hoping you can pay it off.

Are you willing to work two or more jobs? Even in the less expensive CO areas, that is often what people do just to scrape by. There is no place in the state where you can live comfortably on minimum wage unless you don’t pay rent/mortgage, don’t own a car, don’t have expensive habits such as alcohol and drugs, etc etc. CO was not an easy state to move to and earn a living in even when COL was much, much lower.

If it sounds like everyone is saying you have to work hard and make some sacrifices including delaying gratification, yes, that is correct. You are shopping around for a magic bullet that does not exist.

The attitude shown so far does not look like that of someone willing to make much of an effort to get what he wants. Sorry that this will offend you, but there it is.

Last edited by pikabike; 07-16-2019 at 02:28 PM..

Old 07-16-2019, 02:39 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,067 times
Does Arkansas have legalized marijuana?

Old 07-16-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Does Arkansas have legalized marijuana?
That’s a joke, right?

Old 07-17-2019, 08:52 AM

58 posts, read 87,403 times
Just medical marijuana...so stay in Colorado!

Old 07-17-2019, 08:57 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by issaquahhiker View Post
Just medical marijuana...so stay in Colorado!
OP is in New Hampshire, not CO.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:08 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
OP is in New Hampshire, not CO.
Or move to MA. - they have Rec and MMJ just like us.

Then you have the whole East Coast to explore- pretty awesome.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:10 PM

6,755 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Colorado is a terrible place to attempt existence on a minimum wage income. Trying to improve your earning power is the best approach, IMO, but short of that I'd cast a much wider net. Here are some ideas...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewd.../#49a30f56ba76
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado