Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 03:09 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times

Advertisements

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/07/2...electric-cars/

"State agencies and automobile manufacturers announced an agreement Monday on a proposal intended to get more electric vehicles on Colorado roads faster.

State officials, the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers and the Association of Global Automakers will submit their joint proposal to the state Air Quality Control Commission, which will hold hearings starting Aug. 13 on a zero-emission vehicle rule.

The proposed rule is based on California’s, which requires that a certain percentage of vehicles for sale in the state be electric. The Air Quality Control Commission will make the final decision on adopting California’s standard.

Earlier this year, state officials and the auto groups started talking about alternative proposals, including making the Colorado program voluntary rather than mandatory. In June, state officials said they would concentrate on developing a mandatory standard after failing to reach a consensus.

However, talks continued. The result is a proposal providing an incentive for auto manufacturers to start offering more electric vehicles for sale in Colorado earlier than would be required under a new state regulation, said Will Toor, executive director of the Colorado Energy Office."

"If Colorado approves a rule based on California’s program, a certain amount of manufacturers’ vehicles sold in the state would have to be electric, likely between 6 percent and 10 percent, starting with the 2023 model year. But the proposal announced Monday is aimed at speeding up sales of electric vehicles and providing a transition for automakers by allowing them to start building up their credits under the federal Clean Air Act."

I work in technology. Electric vehicles, both cars and trucks are about to hit a tipping point. Personally, I'm in favor. But I know many others will object to such a significant change.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 06:47 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times
Just listen to the ozone alerts every day. That should be enough to make up your mind.

I like it (and have been driving an EV for 4+ years).

Old 07-30-2019, 07:10 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Just listen to the ozone alerts every day. That should be enough to make up your mind.

I like it (and have been driving an EV for 4+ years).
Yea those ozone alerts freak me out if I'm ever up in Denver. I want to get a Tesla Model S one of these days.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:05 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,067 times
This is the dilemma for EV owners- middle of winter and you need a charge in order to go home.

BUT- all of the charging stations are full. Do you wait for an hour or two behind someone already charging then start charging your EV? You may be there awhile.

https://www.wired.com/2014/12/ev-cha...rastructure-2/

Until this is not an issue I'm sticking with gasoline or at least a hybrid.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:44 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
This is the dilemma for EV owners- middle of winter and you need a charge in order to go home.

BUT- all of the charging stations are full. Do you wait for an hour or two behind someone already charging then start charging your EV? You may be there awhile.

Its only 1000 bucks to install a home charging station. If you can afford an electric car you can afford a home charging station. Not to meson it will pay for itself since maintenance on electric cars are practically non-existent no oil changes etc.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:04 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Its only 1000 bucks to install a home charging station. If you can afford an electric car you can afford a home charging station. Not to meson it will pay for itself since maintenance on electric cars are practically non-existent no oil changes etc.
The "Charge" issue is for people in Rented Space. They can't just put in a charger. The Garage/Parking lots are "Common" area that they don't have the access to the Power from.

Putting in a "Home" charger and its power requirement are different then if Condo/Apartment would do it.

Commercial charger cost two-three times as much as a home unit. (They are made to be somewhat Bullet/Idiot proof) and to be used many times per day, by people who do not "care" about them. Since there are many users, you need to have some sort service plan to maintain them, Fix them. Call out for service on EV Chargers is in the next day or few days later range.

If you can't count on power that you can control, you should not have a EV Car at this point. Maybe there will someday be a network of L3 (20 minute) charger in such number that you can count on it being up and available, when you need it. Most of them will not be at "Gas Station" they will be at Fast Food places where the user can kill 20 minutes.

The other Factor, is the "Grid" Most home EV charging goes on at night during off peak usage time when the power companies have excess power to sell "Cheap", Commercial Chargers tend to be done in the evening rush hours, when Electricity demand is at it highest. So all these "Green" cars are being charged by Quick-Start Natural Gas Generators, in power plants across the grid that power up to handle peak loads.

Old 07-30-2019, 04:13 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times
Amazing how EV talk brings out such misinformation, such as in the above post.

My "charger" is a cable, that came with the car, supplied by Tesla that plugs in an electric outlet on the wall, similar to a dryer outlet, installed by an electrician.

I can see where renters might have an issue, however, in Colorado there is a law that says a landlord must accommodate the charging needs of an EV owner, at that owner's expense.

In 4+ years of EV ownership, the ONLY time I had to wait to charge (about 20 minutes) was on the day of the solar eclipse, in Cheyenne, when half of Colorado was driving N to Wyo. I also had to wait in heavy traffic on I-25 that day. On the way home, I charged in Loveland and there was no wait.

Old 07-30-2019, 04:37 PM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
My daughter has a Nissan Leaf. I've driven it many times. It's a hoot to drive. It has great acceleration to about 40 mph and it is very quiet. When you get home, plug it in like your cell phone.

The best thing: No petrol ever.

Key limitation is range. But she uses it as a second car.

Old 07-30-2019, 04:43 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Only a $1000. Can you buy mine?

Old 07-30-2019, 05:39 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post

Agree that range is a big problem, especially with charging stations fee and far between.

The other problem is that most electric cars are high end expensive brands. But maybe the governor plans to give them away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado