Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 03:23 PM

924 posts, read 1,021,424 times

Advertisements

hi all, so I want to start riding bicycles, again but I have a bad knee. I can pedal, but after some time it starts to flare up and starts to hurt like hell. I was wondering if there are any E bikes that is powerful enough to zip through trails or pedal assist is so easy I wont feel resistance.

of course, I want the exercise, its just when that knee starts to flare up. and no, I am not going to get surgery for it just want a strong enough ebike that i can toggle the switch / throttle when needed on climbs.

hoping someone with biking experience knows what I am talking about within our steep CO trail system
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 03:43 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times
You need to go try one out. I've seen them climb the steepest stuff around the front range.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:13 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,067 times
My understanding is that they are not allowed on some trails I.e. new Santa Fe trail.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:31 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Swimming should be a good exercise that won't put stress on the knee area ... and besides, at the pool there are mermaids in bikinis.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:57 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Swimming should be a good exercise that won't put stress on the knee area ... and besides, at the pool there are mermaids in bikinis.
Or go to the Beach and watch the Surfer Girls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGjky5U64LM

Old 08-13-2019, 08:22 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
If you are talking about singletrack or other nonmotorized trails, e-bikes are illegal on those.

Mike’s suggestion of swimming is good.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:36 PM

278 posts, read 449,825 times
eBikes are not common on multi-use paths (MUPs) in Colorado, but I do see one or two for every 30 to 50 miles I ride in and around the Denver suburbs and Colorado Springs.

There are three eBike classes of battery assist. The most common is "Class I", where you have to peddle to get the motor to kick in, and that type is almost always allowed on MUPs. A "Class II" eBike is less common and uses a throttle like on a motorcycle, and where peddling is optional, with a 20MPH max speed. Class III is basically the same as Class II except it allows for speeds up to 28MPH, intended for street riding and assisted mountain biking in some areas.

Colorado law (C.R.S. Section 42-1-102) states that Class I and II can be ridden on public roads, bike, pedestrian and multi-use paths. Class III can only be ridden on public roads or private land. Local laws may differ or be more restrictive than the State's law.

Then there's the choice of a hub (usually rear wheel) motor or a mid-drive design where the motor is not attached to a wheel directly. Hub motor designs usually run in the 250 to 500 watt power range, and have difficulty with steep or sustained hill climbing, whereas mid-drives are more powerful and typically run in the 500 to 2000 watt range. There are several name brand bike makers who are selling eBikes now, but the prices are high...commonly running from $1500 to $7000. You might be able to pick up a used one on Craig's List much cheaper.

BTW, I've developed a bad knee as well, and started taking a supplement called Osteo Bi-Flex...completely solved my knee pain problem.

My recumbent mid-drive Class II eTrike:

Last edited by YoYoSpin; 08-13-2019 at 03:47 PM..

Old 08-13-2019, 07:39 PM

63 posts, read 87,530 times
Class 1 e-bikes are allowed on Jeffco Open Space Trails, not sure where you're located. And the laws are constantly changing so best to check before you go, they could change their mind if it gets out of hand.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:16 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
You need to go try one out. I've seen them climb the steepest stuff around the front range.
I have one and they can really climb. My mom just flew up the Palmer Lake trail to the reservoir on my ebike while I had to stop and walk about a 1/3 of the way up on a normal bike. If I put mine on the most assist, I can go 28 mph on flat ground without really getting a heart rate increase.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:43 PM

924 posts, read 1,021,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoSpin View Post
eBikes are not common on multi-use paths (MUPs) in Colorado, but I do see one or two for every 30 to 50 miles I ride in and around the Denver suburbs and Colorado Springs.

There are three eBike classes of battery assist. The most common is "Class I", where you have to peddle to get the motor to kick in, and that type is almost always allowed on MUPs. A "Class II" eBike is less common and uses a throttle like on a motorcycle, and where peddling is optional, with a 20MPH max speed. Class III is basically the same as Class II except it allows for speeds up to 28MPH, intended for street riding and assisted mountain biking in some areas.

Colorado law (C.R.S. Section 42-1-102) states that Class I and II can be ridden on public roads, bike, pedestrian and multi-use paths. Class III can only be ridden on public roads or private land. Local laws may differ or be more restrictive than the State's law.

Then there's the choice of a hub (usually rear wheel) motor or a mid-drive design where the motor is not attached to a wheel directly. Hub motor designs usually run in the 250 to 500 watt power range, and have difficulty with steep or sustained hill climbing, whereas mid-drives are more powerful and typically run in the 500 to 2000 watt range. There are several name brand bike makers who are selling eBikes now, but the prices are high...commonly running from $1500 to $7000. You might be able to pick up a used one on Craig's List much cheaper.

BTW, I've developed a bad knee as well, and started taking a supplement called Osteo Bi-Flex...completely solved my knee pain problem.

My recumbent mid-drive Class II eTrike:
thank you! I might try of of those Bi Flex pills. i mean it just flares up when I start excising, so this might help! thanks for this!

So, maybe I can buy a traditional mountain bike and just get my work out in that way and go trail exploring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado