Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 06:28 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You people really should try to read for comprehension.

How exactly do you "upload" it to cloud storage or "retrieve" it without wifi or cellular data connection?

And I didn't it resides "just" on the phone but that it must reside on the phone. Of course, the state has the source records on it's servers. Duh!

And I never suggested that losing your phone meant losing your id.
I think you do not realize that you'd do both. You would upload it to the cloud, and you'd have it in your phone also. It is a dual system. You have to use wifi part of the time, just not all the time. To have an app on your phone at all (such as the one they're referring to), you have to download something - you have to have data/wifi. This will not work on a phone without some kind of ability to download/upload. In other words, you use wifi/data to set it up initially but not to just pull it out and show it. And by the way, there is really no excuse for you to start being rude when people try to explain something to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 07:51 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
General rule of thumb in the COLO forums is either be nice or be gone.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:54 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Are you a Baby Boomer?
Are you an ageist?

Old 10-31-2019, 08:58 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
General rule of thumb in the COLO forums is either be nice or be gone.
Not true.
I am still here.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:50 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I think you do not realize that you'd do both. You would upload it to the cloud, and you'd have it in your phone also.

Trust me, I understand exactly how it works. I develop phone apps for a living. I'm just frustrated because you said earlier "the ID doesn't live in the phone" now you're saying "you'd have it in your phone also". The only way you can access the ID offline is if it is stored in your phone. As for security, I would make it so you have to "refresh" periodically. There is no way to completely block iOS screenshot function but there are some nifty tricks to make it difficult. Some like Snapchat require user to be touching screen to view image and screenshot interrupts the touch event. Others interlace composite images rapidly so that your eye pieces it together as one image (the way a "movie" is just a sequence of pictures) so a single frame screenshot just gets one. To defeat that, you'd have to take a number of screenshots and overlay them.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:42 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Trust me, I understand exactly how it works. I develop phone apps for a living. I'm just frustrated because you said earlier "the ID doesn't live in the phone" now you're saying "you'd have it in your phone also". The only way you can access the ID offline is if it is stored in your phone. As for security, I would make it so you have to "refresh" periodically. There is no way to completely block iOS screenshot function but there are some nifty tricks to make it difficult. Some like Snapchat require user to be touching screen to view image and screenshot interrupts the touch event. Others interlace composite images rapidly so that your eye pieces it together as one image (the way a "movie" is just a sequence of pictures) so a single frame screenshot just gets one. To defeat that, you'd have to take a number of screenshots and overlay them.
When I said it didn't live in your phone, I was simply meaning that that was not its sole existence, i.e. your ID does not 'die' if your phone is gone - it still has life and is retrievable, because having the physical phone is not a requirement for having the ID in the same way it is for a plastic card. The plastic card, if you lose it, you have lost your copy of your ID and must order a new one from the government. If you lose your phone, you have not lost the only copy of your ID, you can retrieve it without having to order a new one from the government. That is what I meant. You are getting lost in semantics instead of reading for meaning - which I think has been made abundantly clear in context so you should no longer be confused if you were confused by my wording rather than just being argumentative on triviality. The issue was about the consequence of losing one's phone in relation to having one's ID on it, and the point being made is that one has not irretrievably (without ordering a new one from the government) lost one's ID in the same way one losing a plastic ID would have. When you get a new device, you can repeat the procedures of installing the app and setting it up and have your digital ID on the new device. So it is still 'alive' when you lose your device. BTW, I have also developed phone apps although not as a living, since you seem to be trying to establish your expertise - congrats - to win some kind of game only you are playing, and I changed the wording in the second case to try to clarify, not alter, the original intended meaning. My apologies if that further confused you.

Last edited by otowi; 11-01-2019 at 07:07 AM..

Old 11-11-2019, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 201 times
Thanks for the info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado