Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 12:08 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
No more Hot Beef Sandwiches at Farmer's Cafe... may not be worth relocating to Wray.

Probably can find a Potluck at the local church once / month - that will be good cooking.
StealthRabbit
I lived in Wray when FARMER"S CAFE was Ruth's Cafe. In the early 1960'sRuth's became Farmers (IIRC it was because of a divorce). They did have very good food but I switched MY allegiance to the BLUEBELL Cafe on the West end of town, along the South side of Hwy 34. The Bluebell had the BEST Chicken Fried Steak on the planet (without gravy of course). I frequented it with my Father and a Great Uncle every chance I had. OMG I miss those Chicken Fried steaks. Even after 5 million miles wandering all ove the US A and Canada I never found a Chicken Fried Steak that could touch the Bluebell's. I have been back to eat one since about 1976 so that may have changed LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 07:54 AM

200 posts, read 174,834 times
Grand Junction looks like it could fit the bill for me so long as it's not experiencing a lot of growth. I'm going to check out the other suggestions on this thread.

Thank you.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:56 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,054,400 times
Durango is quite pleasant and pretty laid back, and we got beautiful scenery all over the area.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:54 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Durango is quite pleasant and pretty laid back, and we got beautiful scenery all over the area.
We considered it for a bit, but high snowfall, lack of good medical, retail, regular jet service airport and high influx of seasonal tourists made us nervous.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:22 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,054,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
We considered it for a bit, but high snowfall, lack of good medical, retail, regular jet service airport and high influx of seasonal tourists made us nervous.
Durango only has slightly more snowfall each year than Denver metro (on average).
Mercy Regional is the main hospital for the Durango area, which I imagine would be adequate for most people unless you need brain surgery or some other serious operation done, in that case Denver (or CO Springs) would be the obvious place to go, but that's probably true for most of Colorado.

Why kind of retail places do you prefer? I've found that the retail & restaurant scene in Durango suits all of my needs. For a town of less than 20,000, I'm more than satisfied with what is offered here.

The local airport here is kind of out in the middle of nowhere and definitely needs to expand & hire more staff, I'll give you that. They do have direct flights to Denver and Phoenix, and connecting flights that can pretty much get you anywhere in North America. It is like a half hour drive from town though.

Seasonal tourism is all over Colorado, you won't find a desirable town that doesn't have tourism. In most of those towns tourism is a significant part of their local economy.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:42 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Durango only has slightly more snowfall each year than Denver metro (on average).
Mercy Regional is the main hospital for the Durango area, which I imagine would be adequate for most people unless you need brain surgery or some other serious operation done, in that case Denver (or CO Springs) would be the obvious place to go, but that's probably true for most of Colorado.

Why kind of retail places do you prefer? I've found that the retail & restaurant scene in Durango suits all of my needs. For a town of less than 20,000, I'm more than satisfied with what is offered here.

The local airport here is kind of out in the middle of nowhere and definitely needs to expand & hire more staff, I'll give you that. They do have direct flights to Denver and Phoenix, and connecting flights that can pretty much get you anywhere in North America. It is like a half hour drive from town though.

Seasonal tourism is all over Colorado, you won't find a desirable town that doesn't have tourism. In most of those towns tourism is a significant part of their local economy.
I was comparing Durango to Grand Junction in terms of snowfall. Durango gets 67 inches on average, GJ gets 16. Snowfall was one reason we left Denver.

GJ has 2 hospitals and a VA, plus the usual assortment of dentists, eye doctors, etc.

For retail we like having multiple grocery options, big box and local farm options. We like having the REI’s, men’s and women’s clothing stores, Best Buy and some specialty stores for convenience and pricing. Places like that make everyday living just a bit easier.

The airport also has about 12 direct flights a day to Denver, SLC, LA, Dallas, Vegas, Phoenix, Chicago...so going on trips doesn’t require a drive to Denver. And for those that want it, we have Amtrak and bus service.

Durango is nice to visit, don’t get me wrong, but we decided it just didn’t check all our “want” boxes.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:31 AM

363 posts, read 442,699 times
Come down to Pueblo West. We have quiet,less snow AND stores.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:00 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doolish1 View Post
Come down to Pueblo West. We have quiet,less snow AND stores.
Have heard it gets just a tad HOT in the summer there (!).

Old 12-15-2019, 09:18 AM

6,814 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Grand Junction is comparable to Pueblo for summer temps, actually a bit hotter and drier, fyi:

Grand Junction:
June 88° / 58°
July 93° / 64°
August 90° / 62°

Pueblo:
June 86° / 52°
July 91° / 58°
August 88° / 55°

Old 12-15-2019, 02:29 PM

363 posts, read 442,699 times
And far less snow....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado