Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 08:08 AM

5,458 posts, read 8,174,868 times

Advertisements

Another mass delusion involving a new technology, drones, that has been in the news:

"Notice also how all of the sightings were affected by culture and the technologies of the day.
":
the whole article: https://www.realclearscience.com/blo..._delusion.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 08:23 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,387,503 times
Finally. Some dude in OR tells us its all a figment of our imagination. I'm sure everyone in the area feels so much better. Thank you for educating all us yocals.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:13 AM

374 posts, read 562,697 times
Default Eyes to the skies, it never hurts:

Harvey H. Nininger was a renowned meteorite researcher and collector who as Curator of Meteorites from 1930 to 1946 made the Colorado Museum of Natural History, now the Denver Museum of Nature & Science, a center of scientific activity in that new field of study. https://snaccooperative.org/ark:/99166/w6ht33vb

I became aware of Dr. Nininger while working @ McPherson College, KS, 1987-92.

The tale starts with Nininger strolling home from the college on the night of November 9, 1923, reading by the streetlights on Euclid, heading West he observed a meteorite falling to earth. It dawned on him, that IF he found 2 other people who'd observed the falling star, he could approximate/triangulate where it landed. He went on to have the largest private collection of meteorites on this planet.

Wiki:

Nininger founded the American Meteorite Museum, which was first located near Meteor Crater, Arizona (1942–1953), then in Sedona, Arizona (1953–1960).

Part of the Nininger Collection was sold to the British Museum in 1958, and the remainder of the collection was sold to the Arizona State University Center for Meteorite Studies in 1960 which displays a selection of these meteorites in their public museum.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:10 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,515,063 times
A follow-up article - https://gazette.com/military/could-m...5e1d42476.html

Old 01-05-2020, 01:00 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
More speculation

Quote:
There is a growing consensus among those in Colorado's aviation industry that mysterious drones in eastern Colorado are in some way connected to the military.

His team believes the drone likely surpassed 8 feet in size, and it was equipped to take off vertically while soaring for hours at a time. Swathwood's team said the aircraft in question likely cost over $100,000 to build, ruling out most operators.

"These are very sophisticated, very high end, very specific and very targeted drones," he said. "We have the consensus that it's probably the military or a military contractor."
https://kdvr.com/2020/01/04/drone-ex...drone-mystery/

Old 01-12-2020, 03:35 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,313,073 times
https://krdo.com/news/2020/01/09/mys...hern-colorado/

"It's an ongoing mystery in the skies: drones, flying in groups over Colorado. But who is flying them and why?

The reports started surfacing in the northern part of the state, but now they're here in Southern Colorado. Residents in Baca County have now caught their aerial activities on-camera.

Brad Viner says he looked up they were there.

"I was home around 10 o'clock and I went outside. I happened to look up to the north - there were drones," said Viner.

The Campo resident did exactly what you expect.

"Whipped my phone out tried to get a little video," he said.

Since the middle of December 2019, drones like the ones Viner saw have been spotted in areas in eastern Colorado and western Nebraska. But now southern Colorado is no exception, with new reports out of Castle Rock, Monument and even further south.

"My daughter saw 13 I saw about 30 by the time the night was over," he said.

The drones are large, with wing-spans of about six feet. They travel in groups. Monday, the Morgan County Sheriff's Office in northern Colorado hosted a meeting to discuss the mystery aircraft.

Representatives from a variety of agencies, including the FAA, the FBI, the U.S. Air Force, the U.S. Army, the CO Division of Homeland Security, Emergency management and a variety of local agencies met to discuss next steps.

Campo isn't the only spot nearby with sightings - Castle Rock Police Department sent KRDO two videos featuring a drones that appeared Tuesday at around 6:30 p.m. above Monument.

Viner says he thinks this story isn't over.

"I think it's a larger scale whatever it is," he said.

At Monday's meeting, reps from the U.S. Air Force denied involvement, the FAA had no definitive answers. The Morgan County Sheriff's office reminded witnesses that reports on their social media pages are not official. Also, authorities warn to not shoot at drones because the bullets can return to earth and hurt people."

Old 01-12-2020, 09:26 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
I thought Kyle Clark’s take was great.

Paraphrasing:

3 possibility and all are concerning

1. Someone is doing something malicious/secretive
2. FAA & Military can’t figure out what it is
3. FAA & Military know what it is and are lying to us

Last edited by SkyDog77; 01-12-2020 at 10:40 AM..

Old 01-12-2020, 12:05 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I thought Kyle Clark’s take was great.

Paraphrasing:

3 possibility and all are concerning

1. Someone is doing something malicious/secretive
2. FAA & Military can’t figure out what it is
3. FAA & Military know what it is and are lying to us
Its 3 for sure

Old 08-20-2020, 06:23 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,313,073 times
Unidentified Aerial Phenomena Task Force could be more than punch line

https://gazette.com/military/unident...1141f1e89.html

"Fear not, northeastern Colorado: The military may finally figure out those pesky drones that pestered you last winter.

The Pentagon this month formed the Unidentified Aerial Phenomena Task Force. It's a move that likely caused liquor stores in Roswell, N.M. to run out of Champagne and comes with a cool acronym: UAPTF. (It's pronounced "you-whap-tiphhhhlt.")

Since most of the unidentified aerial phenomena occur over the desert and plains, the task force will be run by the Navy, despite the unimaginable cost of moving a destroyer to Sedgwick to track those aerial targets.

Amid all the laughs, the Pentagon is quite serious.

"The Department of Defense established the UAPTF to improve its understanding of, and gain insight into, the nature and origins of UAPs," the Defense Department said in a news release. "The mission of the task force is to detect, analyze and catalog UAPs that could potentially pose a threat to U.S. national security."

The no-kidding task force also has a very serious boss in Joseph Kerman, the Pentagon's undersecretary for intelligence. He's a retired Navy vice admiral and a former SEAL.

But the nation's military leaders really haven't said why they're rushing to uncover the great unknown.

The task force was announced in a Friday evening news release Aug. 14: That's Pentagonese for something the military would really rather not discuss. The Friday evening release coincides with the top pursuit of journalists covering the military: Discount cocktails. Pulitzer and his prizes come in a distant second to happy hour at the end of a long week.

Here's the Pentagon's best explanation of the sudden move:

"The Department of Defense and the military departments take any incursions by unauthorized aircraft into our training ranges or designated airspace very seriously and examine each report," the Pentagon said. "This includes examinations of incursions that are initially reported as (unidentified) when the observer cannot immediately identify what he or she is observing."

It's the first time in 50 years that the military has expended serious effort looking into unidentified flying objects. Project Blue Book, an Air Force program to investigate UFO sightings, closed its doors in 1970 after finding that most things people reported as other-worldly visitations had simple explanations.

A series of UFO sightings in California and Nevada in the 1960s, for instance, was tied to the top secret Oxcart project, which built the SR-71 spy plane and sent it on missions to snoop on Russia.

Now, leaders have much better reason to check out UFOs: Anyone with an Amazon account can buy their own starting at about $50.

Those discount drones can be used to spy on military installations, interfere with military planes and helicopters and gather lots of lucrative intelligence.

It's illegal to fly drones in controlled military airspace. But with half the 14-year-old boys in the Pikes Peak owning one, it can be pretty difficult to track down the scofflaws.

The Air Force has paid special attention to the drone problem and has an active counter-drone program at F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Cheyenne to figure out ways to counter the threat.

And that threat encompasses more than spying.

Less than a year ago, Iran used commercially available drones to successfully attack oil facilities in Saudi Arabia. Saudi officials reported that traditional air defenses had little effect against the small attackers, meaning that drone aircraft that cost a tiny fraction of traditional missiles and bombers could be more effective in mounting attacks.

If solving that new puzzle is on the task force's agenda, it could be money and effort well-spent"

Old 08-22-2020, 10:36 AM

128 posts, read 113,503 times
We were chasing these drones back in January here in Minnesota.

One went over me at 10am, accelarated to 80-90mph northbound and made a huge circle (10-15 miles). You could see them a long ways out due to the lights.

One I was tracking was later coming south....and stopped mid air then went straight up for 20 minutes, slowly.

It was very odd. I spoke with the FAA that night while I was watching it and they tried to convince me it was down at 500 feet or below. I know it was up at 3000+ feet. It was so odd.

We chased 4-5 of them total for about 2-3 hours....many stopping, hovering and them moving on.

Went on for about a week total, all after 9pm. These were not small drones (foot or two across). The one that went over me at 70 or so feet was 4-5 feet across.

One of the oddest times of my career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado