Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2020, 10:01 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,450,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think one problem is, if severely ill with SOB, most people are likely to call for help to a hospital. It's not like an illness where you can peacefully lie down at home and let it go. Maybe in hospital one could get palliative care, like morphine or something more acceptable than suffocating at home?

I guess, as a childfree by choice person, I don't like the idea that a parent's life is more valuable than a non-parent, other considerations aside. An old issue for me. I do think triage should be largely based on who will benefit most and survive best, and that could certainly be age-related.
nobody likes their lives being less valued for whatever reason. If you break the #'s down CO has had about 900 hospitalizations to date. Many have been discharged. The rate is not increasing as much and the deaths are slowing down. Bottom line this will blow over soon and things will start to get back to normal.

NYC got hit hard because their Mayor is an idiot as well as a lot of people that live there. They completely ignored stay at home orders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 10:09 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,189,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
NYC got hit hard because their Mayor is an idiot as well as a lot of people that live there.
They completely ignored stay at home orders.
Oh, I have not kept up on the NYC Mayor, thanks ...lived there when Koch was Mayor.
Gotta love that Cuomo, tho.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:14 AM

18,601 posts, read 33,168,447 times
Quote:
nobody likes their lives being less valued for whatever reason. If you break the #'s down CO has had about 900 hospitalizations to date. Many have been discharged. The rate is not increasing as much and the deaths are slowing down. Bottom line this will blow over soon and things will start to get back to normal.

NYC got hit hard because their Mayor is an idiot as well as a lot of people that live there. They completely ignored stay at home orders.

Hard to know what "after" will look like, anywhere. I think there will be a new normal and I do hope it's a better one. I don't think there will be a "back to normal."

Old 04-07-2020, 10:48 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,450,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh, I have not kept up on the NYC Mayor, thanks ...lived there when Koch was Mayor.
Gotta love that Cuomo, tho.
Yeah early March it was go to bars, live life this virus is no biggie....oops.

They didn't shut down playgrounds until last week.....oops.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:11 PM

19,424 posts, read 8,970,592 times
Well, we will see who is correct -- the IHME or the Colorado senior health officials. (I am hoping that the IHME model was correct and that Colorado officials are being too pessimistic.)

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/04/0...l-predictions/

Old 04-07-2020, 04:17 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,014,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Well, we will see who is correct -- the IHME or the Colorado senior health officials. (I am hoping that the IHME model was correct and that Colorado officials are being too pessimistic.)

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/04/0...l-predictions/
I think we already know - given the dearth of testing so far, the IHME numbers are not accurate on the face. Some models suggest that the current numbers are just a tenth of the actual cases so far, although granted that would include people who are asymptomatic or with minimal symptoms even if they are positive for C19

Old 04-07-2020, 05:51 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,168,984 times
The new normal is we've become a police state. Neighbors are calling the cops because their neighbors leave their house. With so many people out of work, I expect the aftermath to be worse than the virus.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:53 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,524,293 times
Quote:

Colorado's decrease in new daily cases is a direct result of extensive measures implemented 2-3 weeks ago. It's still too early to say for sure, but it does appear we've passed the inflection point of new diagnoses. Hospitalization numbers lag about a week behind diagnoses. Deaths lag ~1-2 weeks behind hospitalization numbers. Colorado has had the most deaths by far occur today, for instance.

Given the exponential nature of outbreaks, every day of inaction has exponential effects. It makes perfect sense that NYC, being the most crowded, international city in the nation, would see the first of the outbreak, and thus see the worst of the outbreak. The rest of America has had the benefit of NYC's first hand experience as foresight.

The virus is already loose, and a return to business as usual will just cause more flare ups. When allowed to run rampant and overwhelm hospitals, it ends up having ~5-10% death rate (of the cases that are confirmed). "Normal" won't be possible for a long time, and there are sure to be lasting cultural and economic shifts from this. With how covert and fast this virus spreads (due to asymptomatic carriers and our susceptibility to novel viruses), we will deal with periodic outbreaks and shutdowns until either herd immunity is achieved or a vaccine is formulated.

Blaming a city for being a natural lightning rod for such a disaster is willingly ignoring the feds' consistent downplaying and lack of preparation for an external threat. Thinking this will blow over soon is willingly ignoring observable data about this virus and the whole field of epidemiology.

Last edited by Westerner92; 04-07-2020 at 06:01 PM..

Old 04-07-2020, 06:25 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,014,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think one problem is, if severely ill with SOB, most people are likely to call for help to a hospital. It's not like an illness where you can peacefully lie down at home and let it go. Maybe in hospital one could get palliative care, like morphine or something more acceptable than suffocating at home?

I guess, as a childfree by choice person, I don't like the idea that a parent's life is more valuable than a non-parent, other considerations aside. An old issue for me. I do think triage should be largely based on who will benefit most and survive best, and that could certainly be age-related.
my understanding is that all caregivers get a preference, not just parents. So it could be a caregiver for a spouse, a parent, etc.

The idea being that you are directly benefiting more than one person in that case because the care recipient benefits as well, as opposed to that person potentially becoming reliant on the state for their care

Old 04-07-2020, 06:29 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,260,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Maybe it’s better to take our chances by NOT going to the hospital at all! If I’m going to die prematurely (I’m over 60 but hardly old or decrepit), I’d rather do it on my own turf and not in some crowded, noisy, hostile setting.
I remember many years ago, columnist/humorist Art Buchwald wrote in the NY Times suggesting that if sick, it would be better to check into the Waldorf-Astoria than go to the hospital. better food and service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
PS I think the Gov is doing great - it's a tough job right now.
I agree. He's being intelligent and analytical, making rational decisions based on the data. Guess you could call him the anti-Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado