Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 10:21 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times

Advertisements

Picking on Texans is a long held tradition in CO. Its all meant in good fun and you should plan on a few witty come backs for it since the annual CO vs TX Tomato War is on hiatus.

Chaffee County has long be a summer destination for Texans. It is why the neighboring Lake County started the above mentioned event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 07:31 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Picking on Texans is a long held tradition in CO. Its all meant in good fun and you should plan on a few witty come backs for it since the annual CO vs TX Tomato War is on hiatus.

Chaffee County has long be a summer destination for Texans. It is why the neighboring Lake County started the above mentioned event.
My witty comeback would be...do you know a good real estate agent?!

Honestly, I’ve told my husband I would love to move to CO site unseen, numerous times! I love Colorado in general. I don’t wish to bring Texas with me. I love CO for what it is. And it’s raw beauty. But I have long known that people in Colorado do not appreciate people from Texas invading their space.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:53 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
Texas does come up to Vail and other mountain towns for the summer, I've lived in Houston so I understand. Normally we would joke about the invasion and welcome it while gritting our teeth, this year bring it. We need the the tourist dollars, maybe you fall in love with an area and find a great place to call your second home, maybe you just visit for a couple weeks or months, personally if you're respectful, I'm glad you're here welcome to Colorado.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:20 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
My witty comeback would be...do you know a good real estate agent?!

Honestly, I’ve told my husband I would love to move to CO site unseen, numerous times! I love Colorado in general. I don’t wish to bring Texas with me. I love CO for what it is. And it’s raw beauty. But I have long known that people in Colorado do not appreciate people from Texas invading their space.
It’s not limited to Texans. Really, it is about anyone who comes in acting like their money allows them to do anything they please, especially if it involves changing CO so much it becomes just a playground for that set of people. Which IS what some very small towns in the mountains have the flavor of.

This also is not exclusively a CO phenomenon, not by any means! Seen the same resentment in VT (towards NY) ME (towards NY and MA), OR (towards any outsider), and WA (towards any outsider but especially CA, CO, and OR, plus China) towards people from elsewhere acting as if their real estate clout entitles them to “redesign” everything to be what they left behind.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:53 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
If it was harvest season, I would definitely understand it. It's not talked about a lot, but Colorado is in the top 3 of states regarding potato production. Numbers wise I'm not sure of but IMO at least 80% of potatoes grown in Colorado come from the San Luis Valley. (ball park guess.) There are a lot of migrant workers coming up from Texas for work. The San Luis Valley is one big area--from Villa Grove to the north and Antonito to the south, it stretches nearly 100 miles, east to west from Del Norte to, say Fort Garland, it is about 50 miles west to east.

The only other reason I can think of is the people coming in from Pagosa Springs. I haven't been through Pagosa in a few years but the growth there is huge just like a lot of other towns on the western slope. I remember where we were at growth wise on the western slope, particularly Pagosa Springs and Durango. I spent the summer of '68 down there as a road crew laborer for the Forest Service. We covered the San Juan Nat'l Forest. There were a sizable amount of Texas people who owned land back then, especially in the South Fork area.

I'm with bluescreen73 regarding the weather. A trip to Texas is doable from Thanksgiving to say, early March. You get into late April and get ready for the sauna bath. Maybe it's just me. The people I know in central Texas always tells me that when people approach them and ask them "how do you get used to this humidity?" Their answer is "you don't ever really get used to it."
No, you don't ever get used to it. I am almost 52 and have lived in Texas my whole life (save 2 years each in SoCal and Oregon). Hot is hot. It's like pregnancy and childbirth - you kinda forget how bad it is until you are in it again...for a while. But the older you get, the shorter those winters seem to be and you start having a feeling of dread and fear in every March knowing what is about to hit you. Now that my kids are grown (and one lives in Denver) I would totally move to the mountains if I could figure out how to make enough money to live on up there. UGH!

Just came back from CO, and while many shops and restaurants were open (we were everywhere from Spanish Peaks to Pagosa, to CoSprings, to Denver), the big draw tourist areas were not yet. We just hiked every day and it was wonderful. Sorry to the Coloradoans for being just another invading Texan but I did spend money there and constantly wore my mask/maintained social distancing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado