Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 07:30 PM

19 posts, read 53,767 times

Advertisements

Ok Glenwwod Springs all over national TV that Americans are too lazy to get paid $14 to dig ditches for Gould Construction? What is up with a town like Glenwood Springs that this would be the case? Why is it that Gould Construction so adamantly defends hiring "Hispanic immigrants" over Americans? Have all the non-Hispanics and legal citizens LEFT Glenwood otherwise known as "white flight"? Why are the schools now 80% Hispanic? Why isn't that reflected in the city data race distribution? It says only 13% are Hispanic..sounds like that means a good 70% of the 80% Hispanic kids in the schools are illegals and not being counted in the population of Glenwood. Are we seeing an invasion of illegals in Glenwood Springs?

Just wondering...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 10:47 PM

138 posts, read 468,832 times
I too saw the tv show. I don't think it is only a Glenwood problem, but a problem all over the US- there are so many illegals in this country. One thing that I do not understand- it costs $125.00 to apply for a green card- why don't these people just apply for one, get citizenship, and become a legal person? I think the US as a whole would accept them better if they made an effort to become a 'real' citizen instead of scammng the US- nobody wants to trust another person who is sneaking around our country- if they are sincere, that is another story. Just my thoughts. As far as nobody wanting to do manual labor at a more than decent wage- I guess it shows how lazy people are- they want to sit at a desk type job where they can use work-time to be on the computer, pretend that they are working when they are really not- pretty sad, huh? If the people of the US had better work ethics (this includes both young people and older), and would take the manual labor jobs, there wouldn't be any reason for illegals to sneak here, because the jobs would already be filled by US citizens. I tend to view the US population as both lazy and greedy.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:04 AM

19 posts, read 53,767 times
Well.. it seems the house the illegals were living in was renting for $1800 a month. How can someone afford to live there like an American on $14 an hour? Other jobs are paying $20 an hour for excavation work.. maybe Gould needs to consider paying a more livable wage for the area? I am willing to bet there aren't too many computer type jobs or desk jobs in Glenwood Springs in reality.. so maybe it's just that the Americans who work have moved to other places and that leaves only illegals. This didn't just happen overnight. You hire illegals over Americans and the Americans will go elsewhere to find work.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 5,020 times
Post I would work

I am a 41yo male from mass. I would love to take a job out there. I would love to hear from someone in the Gould construction company. I would relocate please e-mail me at tct7277@yahoo.com. I am willing to do the jobs that we fetured on the NBC showlast night.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:15 PM

96 posts, read 275,771 times
Default Immigrants In Glenwood Springs Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiness View Post
Ok Glenwwod Springs all over national TV that Americans are too lazy to get paid $14 to dig ditches for Gould Construction? What is up with a town like Glenwood Springs that this would be the case? Why is it that Gould Construction so adamantly defends hiring "Hispanic immigrants" over Americans? Have all the non-Hispanics and legal citizens LEFT Glenwood otherwise known as "white flight"? Why are the schools now 80% Hispanic? Why isn't that reflected in the city data race distribution? It says only 13% are Hispanic..sounds like that means a good 70% of the 80% Hispanic kids in the schools are illegals and not being counted in the population of Glenwood. Are we seeing an invasion of illegals in Glenwood Springs?

Just wondering...
I too saw the tv show about the mex. immigrants being so wounderful.
They sure did paint a rosey picture. I believe that one of the ladds was
named TRI(?) with an illegal drivers licence. Didn't he ework for GOULD.
Didn't the show say that GOULD does alot of gov. work? Doesn't the gov.want to let all of the illegal's in with ammnesty? I do not understand any of this. If they are over crowding home's where is the health dept. Why has
the police not shut down that lady who makes forged document's.
Please explain this to me ??????

LOVE THE U.S.A.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:29 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,920,721 times
Having lived in Grand Junction and selling windows and doors up through to Aspen...yes, it is difficult to find American born people with the building boom up there.

I sold windows up at Horse Park Ranch (employee housing) at Snowmass and the main construction company actually brought up a lot of immigrant workers from Texas. They paid them pretty low wages but with the amount of the workers they brought up the had housing for them.

It is expensive to live in the Roaring Fork Valley. It's been a big deal in the last 15-20 in all resort communities and the communities that serve them.

Some people that work up in Aspen commute from Rifle to Aspen every day. Which, in the most ideal conditions is about a 1 1/2 hour drive each way. If you've driven up there during rush hour or when the roads are horrible, it can extend that a lot. This is why there are so many people (illegal or not) that pile themselves into houses up there. Not a big deal probably for many California drivers but in the middle of winter it can be a big deal.

I wont get into the political side of it all as this is not really a place for me to view my political views. I can only tell you that, yes, it is difficult to find people willing to work the unskilled jobs up there and around many places in Colorado and beyond.

Last edited by COflower; 12-27-2006 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: typos I actually caught

Old 12-27-2006, 05:18 PM

26,229 posts, read 49,095,067 times
Default Moderator speaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
....snip....I wont get into the political side of it all as this is not.....
Thank you for NOT getting into the politics of this, if we do, I'll delete such posts and/or close this thread.

Politics of the immigration issue are to be debated in the GENERAL U.S. Forum in the sub-forum for POLITICS. There are quite a few threads there already on this.

This thread needs to stick to issues in GLENWOOD SPRINGS. Minor mention of immigration issues THERE is not a problem, but the larger political scope needs to be taken to the correct forum.

Thank you.

Now, back to Glenwood Springs.

s/Mike

Old 12-27-2006, 06:28 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,472,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Thank you for NOT getting into the politics of this, if we do, I'll delete such posts and/or close this thread.

Politics of the immigration issue are to be debated in the GENERAL U.S. Forum in the sub-forum for POLITICS. There are quite a few threads there already on this.

This thread needs to stick to issues in GLENWOOD SPRINGS. Minor mention of immigration issues THERE is not a problem, but the larger political scope needs to be taken to the correct forum.

Thank you.

Now, back to Glenwood Springs.

s/Mike
I'm surprised to see a distinct and separate policy on the Colorado forum that diverges from the overall posture of the site. California, Arizona, Texas and other southern states have forum-specific threads running longer than 10 pages on immigration. e.g.:

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...ng-worser.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...rnia-asap.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...you-think.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/orego...rea-tired.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...ected-new.html

The site exists for the express purpose of discussing employment and liveability issues in various areas around the country. To say that one can post a thread about employment prospects in the construction field generally, but not make mention of how illegal immigration affects employment prospects in a given locale seems to be drawing an arbitrary line of distinction between inseparable elements of American culture. The fact is, immigration impact is an attribute of American cities that affects their liveability, a reality not gainsaid by the fact that immigration also has political ramifications...as does everything else: crime rates, land-use policies, home prices, tax rates, etc.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:40 PM

26,229 posts, read 49,095,067 times
I think we're saying the same thing: Discussion of immigration issues in GLENWOOD SPRINGS is okay here since the interest of the original poster is on GLENWOOD SPRINGS.

Discussion of the POLITICS of immigration is a national issue. The national politics of this topic is NOT going to be debated here. That belongs in the national forum, GENERAL U.S./POLITICS.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:46 PM

9 posts, read 51,016 times
As someone who lived in the Snowmass years ago, I found the NBC program to be startling. I can't believe people will not work for 14.00+ an hour, which also seems to have caused an influx of illegal imigrants. I believe the information reported on this area most valuable to anyone interested in moving to the Glenwood Springs area. Hidden information like that needs to be exposed about all areas of the US, especially when people are given misinformation by relo co's, home builders and chamber of commerces pushing growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado