Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 08:20 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times

Advertisements

For those of you who don't have a fear of heights, there is no comparison between scary traffic and scary hills with drop offs and no guard rail. I've lived in Colorado since the 1970s, and it definitely is getting harder to drive some roads. Neither Vail Pass nor Eisenhower Tunnel bother me, but both Monarch Pass and Wolf Creek Pass do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 09:32 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
Crossing the Continental Divide on I-40 in New Mexico or I-80 in Wyoming are not scary at all. Of course getting to either of these from Montrose simply to get to Colo Spgs, is going to add another couple of days to your trip and I'm not sure you can get to either without also using similarly scary, two lane state highways that may not be as well maintained as US-50 or I-70.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:04 AM

317 posts, read 474,682 times
I propose the alternative of taking of Highway 114 east of Gunnison to bypass Monarch Pass. You'll have to take Cochetopa Pass on Highway 114, but it's much more tame than Monarch Pass. Not nearly as steep or high up, less traffic, and more guardrails. You would then circle through Saguache and up to Villa Grove via Highway 285, taking 285 over Poncha Pass (barely even a mountain pass by Colorado standards, no scary dropoffs) into Poncha Springs to rejoin Highway 50.

This would be a much tamer alternative than Monarch Pass as well as much shorter drive and far less traffic than going up to I-70.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:28 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,298,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
the 145
Surprised to see you're from VA and you preface a route number with "the." Are you from CA originally?

Old 07-08-2020, 12:08 PM

670 posts, read 1,052,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
I propose the alternative of taking of Highway 114 east of Gunnison to bypass Monarch Pass. You'll have to take Cochetopa Pass on Highway 114, but it's much more tame than Monarch Pass. Not nearly as steep or high up, less traffic, and more guardrails. You would then circle through Saguache and up to Villa Grove via Highway 285, taking 285 over Poncha Pass (barely even a mountain pass by Colorado standards, no scary dropoffs) into Poncha Springs to rejoin Highway 50.

This would be a much tamer alternative than Monarch Pass as well as much shorter drive and far less traffic than going up to I-70.
I forgot about that route, yes this would be the tamest for someone having trouble with the drop offs on the high passes. And you avoid the I70 and I25 construction and traffic nightmares. Great suggestion!

Old 07-08-2020, 03:40 PM

722 posts, read 1,923,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Surprised to see you're from VA and you preface a route number with "the." Are you from CA originally?
Yes! And I try to remember not to do that ("the") when talking to people not from CA--but I guess sometimes it slips in!

We moved from CA to VA about 14 years ago, and most of my family still lives in CA. My mom isn't driving anymore, and since one of my kids just turned 16, she gave us her car. We flew out last week and are driving back now.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:54 PM

2,474 posts, read 2,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
For those of you who don't have a fear of heights, there is no comparison between scary traffic and scary hills with drop offs and no guard rail. I've lived in Colorado since the 1970s, and it definitely is getting harder to drive some roads. Neither Vail Pass nor Eisenhower Tunnel bother me, but both Monarch Pass and Wolf Creek Pass do.
The west side of Vail Pass and the west side of the tunnel have deep ruts from the semis in the pavement. If you don’t pay attention your car will get pulled into those and jerk you around. The pavement is also jacked near Idaho Springs from construction.

Give me a state highway over the interstates in the shape they are in today.

I drive Denver to Grand Junction several times a month. I see accidents and near accidents almost every time.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:45 PM

722 posts, read 1,923,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post

Ah, so like this?
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mont...38.8575579!3e0

(I hope that link works right!)

Thank you so much! It looks to be about 5.5 hours I will do this one!

Old 07-08-2020, 04:59 PM

670 posts, read 1,052,766 times
Quote:
Ah, so like this?

That’s the one!

Old 07-08-2020, 05:43 PM

317 posts, read 474,682 times
Quote:
Ah, so like this?

No problem! I think you're making the right decision. Just for the sake of letting you know what to expect, there are two sections of Highway 114 that are noteworthy, the rest is relatively straightforward two-lane highway. I've already mentioned Cochetopa Pass, but the other feature is Cochetopa Canyon.

Cochetopa Canyon occurs about 10 minutes after you head south onto Highway 114 from Gunnison and lasts for around 15 miles. It's a very windy canyon, but as long as you go the speed limit (around 35 mph if memory serves correctly) it's a very slow and steady drive and quite beautiful. I often see moose back there in the creek along the highway! You stay 'low' the whole time so even though you're winding through the canyon you're never high up, so I don't think you'll have anything there that will trigger your fear of heights. Occasionally there will be a local that will ride your tail in that canyon - if that happens and it bothers you, just pull over to the side of the road where appropriate and they'll pass you. There are many pullovers along the road that fishermen use to access the creek, so it's easy to do that if needed. Still, that road receives far less traffic than most Colorado highways so traffic should be minimal. After that, the road opens up to some big beautiful views of western Saguache County and the La Garita Mountains before you hit Cochetopa Pass, and then it's all easy driving from there once again.

Also, remember to gas up in Gunnison if you need it as there are no gas stations or any other services until you hit Saguache. Safe travels and let us know what you thought of the trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado