Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,244 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I are seeking a new area to buy a home in Southern Colorado. Currently living in Southern NM, where the heat has gotten too much to bear, so want a place at least a bit cooler in the summer, but having a mild to moderate winter. Canon City, south and west of Pueblo and some areas near Grand Junction, like Mesa, and then also Crawford (bit colder but maybe ok),seem possible (via some research) Wanting more input on climate, social climate, cost of living, access to nice scenic hiking areas, and a quiet country feel. No city for us, have had enough of that currently in Las Cruces, NM.It is a nice city for sure but want the country living once again(had lived in the country in the past, miss it a lot). I am semi retired, needing just a possible p.t. job in future for myself, or a place to sell my artwork, crafts. Retired Air Force hubby is not needing work. Want a home with at least 1 or more acres, moderate priced, (less than 350,000), larger home with large garage and/or outbuilding(s). So asking for input on the above mentioned areas and any others fitting the above description. Thanks all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 03:36 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Canon City has some nice attributes, like the Arkansas River and nearness to Lake Pueblo for boating and fishing.

Canon City puts hubby close enough to COLO SPGS to use the benefits he has earned with his service.

COLO SPGS has four major hospitals, a large V.A. clinic, and Pueblo has two major hospitals and a V.A. clinic.

Should be able to find something down that way to fit your list. Be aware that there is an area of Canon City where uranium was processed and is a superfund site, so you'll want to avoid that area.

Give realtor.com or zillow.com a try, use the filters to set price limits and lot size.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:46 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Those places all sound appropriate for what you want.

Climate info source:
https://wrcc.dri.edu/summary/Climsmco.html

For Canon City and neighboring small towns, some people consider their comfort being near large prisons and visitors to them.

Westcliffe (SW of Canon City) is another option. And maybe Rye (SW of Pueblo). You could reach Pueblo or Colorado Springs as needed.

If you look at property above / east of Mesa, get informed on big landslide some years back and potential for more. Cedaredge, SE of Grand Junction has more "town" than Mesa but a longer drive to GJ.

Crawford is pretty and quite small. Several bigger but still small towns within a moderate drive.

Between Cortez and Dolores could be another option. But check summer temps.

Divide to Lake George east of Colorado Springs also might work.

"Social climate"... maybe say a little more about your interests / concerns? People will have different experiences based on who they are / want & do for it.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-14-2020 at 04:07 PM..

Old 07-14-2020, 03:51 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
For access to art communities, yet still rural/small town check out:
Paonia
Hotchkiss
Cedaredge
Glade Park
Fruita
Palisade
Parachute/Battlement Mesa
Gateway

Colorado RE is expensive. Not saying $350,000 won’t get you something, but you may have some compromises.

This is a great site for Western Slope property searches. Grand Junction | Grand Junction

Old 07-14-2020, 04:15 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
I like nearby and smaller Florence a little better than Canon City - I think it has more of that quiet country feel; to me Canon City feels a little more 'old wild west'.

Out near Grand Junction I might suggest Delta for that same feel.

Old 07-14-2020, 04:23 PM

88 posts, read 53,710 times
Another vote for Cortez, CO. You might also consider Farmington, NM.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 3,244 times
Thanks all for you valuable insight and thoughts here in the forum, will consider all info and areas. I was glad everyone was kind to me, as have seen occasionally on forums people being a bit sarcastic and discouraging. Enjoying the research, but feel it's even better to get real Colorado people's personal experiences and info they have gathered. Will come out in the fall, and explore much further once we pick a base camp motel, wherever that is. (SE or SW Colorado perhaps). Extended stay places are a bit harder to come by and we have 2 dogs. (1 old mellow husky, one rat terrier/basenji dog, both housetrained and well behaved)
Any ideas on an affordable place to stay with the dogs? Ok with a simple place with a basic kitchenette setting(or just a frig/microwave),furnished of course or a cabin, for say perhaps 2 to 3 months. Many motels charge the same rate no matter the length of stay, not affordable for a few months.(could easily work out to be 2000 to 3000 a month that way, too much. ) Can't sign a year lease for an apt as won't be that long for our intended transition stay.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:33 AM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Short term, heck even long term, rentals with dogs in Western Colorado are hard to come by. Have you given thought to renting an RV?

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/rv-rentals/our-vehicles

Old 07-15-2020, 12:42 PM

Yeah a lot of motels don't advertise or do discounted weekly or monthly rates but I'd think some do if you search hard. In Colorado Springs, Grand Junction and maybe elsewhere (Cortez, Trinidad...)

Another alternative, especially looking at independent-owned motels is to make an weekly or monthly offer and let them say yes or no (and perhaps carry an extra empty room). I dunno the chances of success but I probably going to try that in the future. I have walked in to a few motels late, asked rate for 1 night, made offer, got room. Walked out a few times too. Stopped with a revised yes once as I hit the door.

Also bargain with airB&B's.

Somewhat more likely to get deals Sept-Nov. than in prime tourist season. In past, some lower end motels in Durango would offer weekly / monthly deals after prime tourist season but you would have to check newspaper / call and decide if you feel safe enough there.

This might not be for you but furnished apartments in Denver for $1800 per month by the month might work for somebody.
https://www.hellolanding.com/furnish...ents-in-denver

As low as $50/ night in Grand Junction here https://www.woodspring.com/locations

I dunno if you could leave the pets with anyone while you search but that could make things easier.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-15-2020 at 01:08 PM..

Old 07-15-2020, 05:44 PM

You are looking in Colorado. Any reason (willing to share) for passing on Ruidoso, NM?

Any consideration of Payson AZ or other White Rim towns to the northeast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado