Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2020, 06:33 PM

4 posts, read 5,570 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm currently in school in NY for respiratory therapy, due to graduate in 2022. My husband and I have been exploring options for relocation, probably a few years after I graduate (I follow Dave Ramsey and don't want to move anywhere until we have zero debt and a good grasp on the baby steps). My husband works in a warehouse where he could easily transfer or find a similar job. My questions are:

1. If you're familiar with the Buffalo area, what towns/cities in CO are similar to the Southtowns area (Hamburg, Orchard Park)?
2. Areas of good job opportunities for respiratory therapists in CO?
3. It's a dumb question, but one I'm asking purely out of curiosity, not a make or break deal. I cruise often, so I'm curious on general costs of flights from (wherever) in Colorado to Florida, California, NYC and Seattle. I'm not looking for exact numbers and again I know it's a dumb thing to ask lol. Typically I can fly Buf to FLL or Orlando for 99 one way on Southwest.
4. I'm also a restaurant server and would like to continue part time even after I graduate. What are some good areas for servers?
5. Cost of living v Buffalo (for ex-Buffalonians).
6. We don't plan to have kids, but I do want to live somewhere safe where I'm comfortable walking around. So not somewhere like the east side of Buffalo lol.

I had other questions that I can't think of at the moment. But please just give me any thoughts you may have! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 07:28 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,598,371 times
So you are asking about four or five years from now? Things will probably change majorly from what they are like now (just look at August this year versus August 2019). I assume that you are a planner and are anxious to learn, but I suggest that you wait a couple of years and then come back with questions.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:39 PM

26,143 posts, read 48,800,534 times
Look on the job boards for respiratory therapist jobs to see where in COLO they are to be found. I suspect it will be Denver, the big city for 500+ miles in any direction and the I-25 corridor from Pueblo to Fort Collins. There will be a few jobs in other parts of the state but most jobs will be found where most of the people live in the state and that's the Front Range (I-25 corridor). Most restaurant jobs will also be in this corridor. Denver has many major hospitals and COLO SPGS has four.

Small towns don't dot the landscape in COLO that way they do back east.

Denver is the big airport in the region. Use one of the travel sites to look at fares. IMO difference in fares won't be enough of a reason to pick any one city over another.

There are cost of living websites where you can plug in various cities and compare. Denver is NOT cheap these days.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:16 PM

8,596 posts, read 14,787,009 times
As Mike said, Denver's gonna have the most jobs, but it's expensive. If you're debt-free and the two of you are pulling down 60-80k, you can rent and live comfortably, but buying might be out of reach.

Grand Junction could be a possibility, but the airport is small, the flight options are weak, and flying out of there is not cheap.

Pueblo is the cheapest large city on the I-25 corridor, but it's got crime issues and isn't the most sought-after place to live.

Give it a year or so, and in that time come up with a housing budget. Who knows what'll happen.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:52 PM

17,680 posts, read 29,625,505 times
Cost of living.
Rough, but will give your some idea.
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...atchComparison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado