Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 01:01 PM

8 posts, read 6,932 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm very excited to finally be in a place to make this move, and so I apologize in advance if this post gets lengthy. I promise to put a tl;dr at the end!

So some background about me - I am 27, single, and work as a Security Analyst. I bring in decent income, even with cuts due to COVID, and have the option to work remotely. I'm currently living in Northern Texas, where I have spent most of my life. I have visited Colorado many times since I was a kid and every time I promised myself that one day I would live there. I've been there in both winter and summer and have spent time in Denver, Colorado Springs, Steamboat Springs, Pagosa Springs, Grand Junction, and Manitou Springs.

I am having a hard time deciding where exactly I want to move. I am currently looking at some places around Colorado Springs, Avon, and Denver. Since I work remote, I do not need to worry about commuting, only internet reliability. Ideally, I do not want to live in a highly populated area. Honestly, the long-term goal is to eventually live in a small town away from people in general, up in the mountains. However, I need to keep in mind the current political/economic climate and face the reality that holding onto my job is not a 100% guarantee. So, perhaps closer to Denver would be better.

As far as climate goes, it's the #1 reason why I want to move here. I love the cold, I hate the heat. I want to live where it is not 90-100+ for months at a time. I want to have more than a 2-week window to hike without worrying about heat stroke. I do have some experience driving in snow, and I am well adapted to the cold (spent an entire winter in Illinois once ). However, I have not spent an entire winter in Colorado before so I should ask - how bad is it? Will I be able to drive with just winter tires? How often are roads cleared, especially the roads in Avon? When will snowfall start to become an issue for moving?

For moving expenses, I am saving up $4,500. I don't think I will need all of that, but I like to have a buffer just in case. According to some back of the napkin calculations, I will probably need around $2000 for the initial move and another $1500 in the following month to purchase snow tires and more cold-weather gear. My current plan is to move in mid-October if all goes well.

tl;dr:
- I work remotely and do not need to commute, I prefer to live away from population centers
- What are the advantages/disadvantages of living in a mountain town such as Avon vs. somewhere like Colorado Springs?
- What are the advantages/disadvantages of living near Denver vs. near Colorado Springs?
- Are regular winter tires enough for a RWD car in the snow? What about in mountain towns?
- When does snowfall become too much of a hassle for a move? I will not be bringing much big items, but I will need to purchase some when I arrive.
- Is there something I'm not considering, or something that you wish you knew before moving?

Thanks!!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-07-2020 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Typo: Pagosa, not Pegosa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 01:10 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,560 times
What’s your housing budget? How much space do you need?

Old 08-07-2020, 01:14 PM

My housing budget right now is $1,300/month base rent, and I need at least 600sqft of space. I have found some apartments in each area that fit my budget and needs, although I need to keep an eye on their prices and availability.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:15 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
The best Internet speeds are mostly found in metro areas and the availability in rural / mountain areas varies based on locations which will require some due diligence on your part to find it.

Traffic in Denver will be far worse than COLO SPGS but at least you won't need to commute.

Housing is cheaper in COLO SPGS than Denver. Forget Boulder with your budget.

Preferred winter tire in COLO is the Blizzack, or equivalent, especially in rural / mountain areas. Use the search tool to find our tire thread, it is full of great info and insights. Since you don't commute this is less of a problem.

Preferred winter car in COLO is a Subaru, we have threads on that too. Four wheel drive is very popular but experienced drivers in COLO will warn you that four wheel drive does not equal four wheel stop on roads with snow and especially ice.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The best Internet speeds are mostly found in metro areas and the availability in rural / mountain areas varies based on locations which will require some due diligence on your part to find it.

Traffic in Denver will be far worse than COLO SPGS but at least you won't need to commute.

Preferred winter tire in COLO is the Blizzack, or equivalent, especially in rural / mountain areas. Use the search tool to find our tire thread, it is full of great info and insights. Since you don't commute this is less of a problem.

Preferred winter car in COLO is a Subaru, we have threads on that too. Four wheel drive is very popular but experienced drivers in COLO will warn you that four wheel drive does not equal four wheel stop on roads with snow and especially ice.

Thanks Mike!

That is a good point about the internet. I will look into providers and downtime in the areas I'm looking at.

Yeah, I drove through Denver a few times in recent years and it was a nightmare. Traffic is pretty bad where I'm at (Plano, TX), but Denver was something else. I've been looking at some nearby areas like Central City and Castle Rock. Any idea how traffic is around there?

Thank you for pointing me to that thread! I will be bookmarking it. I have a Mustang right now, which I'm a bit nervous about driving on winter roads with. I have plenty of experience driving on icy roads (sleet is common in the winter here), but not so much slushy roads on steep inclines. The car does have a wet/snow driving mode that greatly reduces throttle input and does something with the brakes, so hopefully that will do. But yeah, as long as I'm not commuting its not too big of a problem.

Last edited by tinman_inacan; 08-07-2020 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-07-2020, 01:33 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Traffic is heavy in Castle Rock too and it's outside the commuting rail lines.

Myself, I'd suck it up and live near the Lone Tree rail station, since all manner of shopping and eats are nearby. Perhaps over in old town Littleton which also has a rail station. Consider Golden, which is near the foothills, has a rail station and is a good jumping off place for heading up into the mountains.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
If you work from home... Having a great view is a big bonus.

Unless you are a very FT skier, I would probably choose CoS, near Garden of the Gods (biking / hiking distance) for lunch break / midday jaunts.
Stay on the Mtn side of traffic for quick get-away, Mtn traffic from CoS to great spots in SW CO is far less than Denver traffic fleeing to mtns.

You can always commute to Denver and Boulder for social / entertainment venues.
Being in CoS is a very nice high outdoor activity area, yet still urban for social and medical and jobs / supplies. Eventually you may find an ideal 'fibered' mtn location to relocate, but searching for that from CoS is far easier than from Denver. (tho motivation to GET OUT is higher!)

Tires and driving is not a huge deal unless you are skiing every week. Basically studless snow tires will suffice, as will Front Wheel Drive (rather than AWD) Though you may join the Subaru owners for clearance and frequent mtn access and friendly daily commute / use. All Season tires usually suffice for front range living.

$$ just have enough for apartment and deposits (including utilities) and car registration $4k is marginal but OK. (as long as you have steady income)

As a single, you could consider finding a house share / guest home or find retirees who snowbird for winter and need house / plant care, then you have the place to yourself for 4 - 6 months! Many friends have apartments above garage with view and utilities and sperate entrance / laundry. (<$1000). Several C-D friends have been able to 'House sit' for the winter (free housing).

Look for winter gear now on Etsy or ebay or thrift shops. I got a great Rossignol Parka in Toronto last winter for $6 (I travel light and had flown there from sunbelt) It is fully ski functional and very lightweight and excellent condition. Get some good gloves, mittens, hat, scarf (think cold WIND).

Old 08-07-2020, 02:09 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
I lived in Denton County for a little more than a decade. There isn't a salary high enough to convince me to move back to the Metroplex. Between the lousy climate and the crap scenery, it's just not worth it. I don't care how big of a house you can buy. I laugh when I see people paying Denver-esque premiums to live in a bland-ass Collin County suburb.

$1300 a month is probably fine in the Springs, Pueblo and Fort Collins. It varies wrt Denver. I personally wouldn't want to live in a resort town for 2 reasons - #1 it's prohibitively expensive. Literally everything costs more - especially during ski season. #2 the year-rounders tend to be cliquish and wary of outsiders.

I live in the Denver metro area and drive a Honda Fit - with all-season tires. I have the option to work from home (although it's compulsory right now), so I personally don't invest in winter tires. Even if I had them, my car is FWD and low-clearance and would get stuck in anything more than 4 or 5 inches of unpacked snow. We never go to the mountains in the winter, and if we absolutely need to get out, my wife has an AWD SUV. For my personal situation, winter tires are a waste of money, but it's not a one-size-fits-all approach. YMMV.

For the sake of jobs and interviews you'll wanna be closer to the larger metros.

Traffic in Denver is bad in spots. My personal commute is a breeze. 30 mins on side streets. DFW's gotten better, but your commuting costs are ridiculous with all those stupid toll roads and toll lanes.

Enjoy your BBQ while you can. We have a few good places here, but the selection is nowhere near as good as it is in DFW.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:20 PM

Good to know, Mike! Lone Tree looks like a sparse area, I'll check out housing options around there.

Stealth, thank you for the detailed reply! I'm not big into skiing and likely would not spend much time at the resorts. I'm more of a slow-paced hiking kind of guy. Beautiful views is a big reason why every place I'm looking is near the mountains . My #1 preference right now is CoS, but I have seen threads on here discussing their rising rental rates. I suppose if I stay within my budget that rising rent wont be an issue until I need to renew, at which point I should be in a better position to relocate within the state.

Can I ask why you think $4k is marginal? I agree, but I'd like to hear another perspective. My absolute minimum will be $4k, but I will have $5.5k ready to go by mid-October. I should continue to receive steady paychecks after I move, as I am not leaving my position at my company. The money I'm saving right now for this would be for expenses within 2 weeks of moving (ie gas, rent, fees, shipping, etc.). I am planning on selling a lot of my big items like the couch and dresser. Everything should fit in a uhual trailer. I have considered looking for a roommate, however I'd like to at least get established first.

Bluescreen, you speak the truth. It's hot and flat and boring around here. Concrete, grass fields, or some trees is all you get. I understand why people are moving here, a lot of industries are moving to the DFW area and especially Plano. Ever since Toyota set up shop here, traffic has gotten much worse. And I can't even visit my family without spending money on tolls. I'm tired of it. Lived near Houston for a while too, I actually like it more, but it's still just meh compared to Colorado scenery.

I will definitely savor my BBQ and Tex Mex while I'm here. I've been making sure to learn how to cook it myself

Last edited by tinman_inacan; 08-07-2020 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: more details

Old 08-07-2020, 03:27 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Maybe look at Fountain - a little cheaper.

Get rid of the Mustang. They hate snow.

Start getting rid of stuff you don’t need and have to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado