Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 04:17 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times

Advertisements

I thought about starting this thread a tad early--and for the forecasts coming from the media sources it IS early. But it's not unheard of to start the fall/winter season with a huge storm coming down from Canada.. Imagine 95-105 degree temperatures from Denver to Grand Junction and two days later, 35 degrees for the high with 4 to 6 inches forecast. Heh, well, it's coming! I've been in the Bailey area working on my sisters place, got back home yesterday.

35 degrees for the front range? Yep, that's what it looks like, and the western slope will be 50 to 60 degrees tomorrow. 10 to 14 inches of snow forecast for the high country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 06:11 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
I meant to start this the other day when I heard that snow is due tomorrow in Denver. Fun! Semi-trucks will jack-knife at the Eisenhower tunnel...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:22 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,122 times
I am glad you folks started this thread, so I can follow along.

I’m retired to Middle Tennessee from further north, where there is ample snow in the winter.

I don’t recall that snow this time of year is that uncommon for you folks but this huge temperature swing in only a few days is - uncommon - correct?

Having been raised on a farm with crops and livestock, how on earth do you get the crops in and the livestock preparations done in time to prevent them from getting ill and/or colicking in the case of horses?

I tip my hat to all of you hardy folks

Old 09-08-2020, 07:31 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
I am glad you folks started this thread, so I can follow along.

I’m retired to Middle Tennessee from further north, where there is ample snow in the winter.

I don’t recall that snow this time of year is that uncommon for you folks but this huge temperature swing in only a few days is - uncommon - correct?

Having been raised on a farm with crops and livestock, how on earth do you get the crops in and the livestock preparations done in time to prevent them from getting ill and/or colicking in the case of horses?

I tip my hat to all of you hardy folks
It's more the other way around. The wild temperature swings are common, especially from about November through March, but the last time it snowed in September in Denver at least was 20 years ago. In the 19th and 20th Centuries, it was more of a once-in-five-years event that occurred in late September, not right after Labor Day. Assuming the snow comes to pass here in the basin, it'll tie for the second-earliest snow ever recorded, and the temperature swing will be in the top 5 largest swings ever recorded in a 24-hour period, likely in the top 5 largest swings recorded in a 48-hour period.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:35 AM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
At least CO can live up to it's "it melts the next day!" motto when it snows on Labor day . I just hope it doesn't hard freeze again so we don't completely lose the fall season like last year.

Old 09-11-2020, 06:15 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,547 times
Quick question and didn't want to start a new thread. I'll be in Pagosa Springs next week and the forecast is showing highs in the mid 70s and lows in the mid 40s. What can I expect in the mountains? Snow? Is monsoon season over? Thanks.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:26 AM

317 posts, read 474,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
Quick question and didn't want to start a new thread. I'll be in Pagosa Springs next week and the forecast is showing highs in the mid 70s and lows in the mid 40s. What can I expect in the mountains? Snow? Is monsoon season over? Thanks.
Your best bet for accurate information is to watch the forecast for Wolf Creek Pass, assuming that area of the mountains is where you'll be recreating at. The snow from this most recent storm should be completely melted out by the end of next week if it's as sunny and warm as they're predicting. If any precipitation happens next week it'll likely just be rain. The forecast up there is currently showing very slim chances of storms next week - sunny with highs in the mid 50's and lows in the mid 30's.

Old 09-11-2020, 10:11 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Current webcam view at Wolf Creek pass, east of Pagosa Springs:

Wolf Creek Pass Traffic Cams - Colorado Weather Cams

28 degrees and fog.

It looks like they got about 7 inches of snow the past few days. Less than the forecast probably.

Does look like weather will clear next week. But low to mid 50s for highs at pass means even lower higher up in the mountains. Typically 3 degrees every 1000 feet but could be more. Have enough warm clothes. Storms not predicted but be prepared for them anyways. Will snow linger up high in next week? I dunno how long. Depends on spot. Still there right now. Could linger in shady spots on forest service approach roads. Turn around BEFORE ANY possible threat of getting stuck. Even a couple inches or ice on the first 100 feet of covered backroad could throw someone going too fast or in wrong car / tires or inexperienced into a ditch. "Finding out" if it is driveable is likely finding out too late that it is not. Or stick to hikes with trailheads off THE main highway or possibly mostly scenic driving and brief walks. Cell phone service may (fairly likely) not exist to call for help away from town and it may take a long time to come if it does.

It MAY be better so that these concerns are less than stated. But evaluate carefully. Remember it is probably worse every mile further up.

Wolf Crek Pass / "mountain" forecast:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/wo...her/111799_poi

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-11-2020 at 11:01 AM..

Old 09-11-2020, 12:00 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Likely more snow and more sustained above pass level.

The hot springs are an option. Along with low land wandering or mountain biking.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:02 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Well, it's been several weeks that this thread has been quiet. Here comes the storm!! Temps are going to fall plenty over the next couple days, the mountains will see anywhere from 8 to 16 inches of snow for the next couple days. And it isn't just the front range, it looks to be statewide. It's welcome news, we'll take all the moisture we can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado