Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 12:24 PM

125 posts, read 100,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBabula View Post
Hey, thanks for bringing up my old post! Yeah, when we started thinking about this, $500K was our target price. We really had no idea, and had to pick a price, as well as our wants/needs (which was ambitious), to get people an idea of what we were looking for. We fully realized that it was going to be a compromise. We knew we weren't going to get everything we want and need at a reasonable price.

To be honest, we're pretty sure we're going to have to concede some of our wants, and will probably end up looking at something more expensive than the original $500K - maybe in the $600-900K range??? Not sure yet.

We ARE retired now! Woohoo! So, after we get a few "vacations" (are they even called vacations anymore, when you're retired and every day is a vacation???) out of the way, we're going to start digging into this more seriously again. Right now, we need time to decompress from the working world (I'm finding that much easier than my wife - she still needs to be "doing something" all the time - needs to figure out how to slow down a bit, as we have the next 50 years to get stuff done! ). We also have to figure out timing of everything, as we are in four volleyball leagues during the summer, and two leagues in the fall and winter - going to have to take some time off from vball if we want to spend some considerable time in CO figuring out where we want to live!

Thanks for you input!
500k isn't unreasonable. Just depends on what you want. Start getting into any kind of acreage or bigger house and things start shooting up. Without knowing details, 600k would probably get you into something you'd be plenty happy with. 500k would work if you look around. Smaller 3/2 size house on a lot.

Put a realtor to work. I don't think you need to go as high as 900k unless you want something really nice. It's the 300 to 450k maybe 500k range that sells quick and aren't many available it seems.

Good luck to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 12:27 PM

111 posts, read 131,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Now is a great time to be waiting to buy a retirement home!

Do you play indoor Vball (colorado climate?).

Friends put a squash court in their basement (with 16' tall ceiling) and we play 'Wallyball' there. It has a glassed-in overlook for those who are less excited about playing (or are too stiff). Works great on their steep mtn lot.

Task your DW with a plan and strategy for narrowing down your potential places to move, and to start her research and way to find a good deal. Of 40+ properties I have only found (3) through realtors. I prefer the quest of digging up and closing my own deals. Usually saves me far more then just commission. Often 30 - 50%. There are now many online tools to enhance the task of digging up deals (If you know precisely where you want to search).

Good luck, and stay safe. (Watch the knees if playing Vball)

I see possibilities of finding much less expensive homes in the next 3+ yrs.
Neighbor just dropped his $1.3m price to $750k
We play outdoor (sand) vball from early May thru end of August (four leagues). Then, indoor (hard court) thru fall/winter/early spring (two leagues). Unfortunately, my competitive side tells me that I'm still 25, and not 55, and to "go get that ball", no matter how far I have to dive! I've had two ruptured Achilles tendons and a heart attack while playing vball. Other more minor injuries, also. But.....you get hurt, you get fixed, you rehab, and you get back out there!

That's cool that your friends can afford to build a squash/wallyball court! Sounds like fun! I don't think we'll be doing that - lack of $$$!

Yeah, we still need to narrow down our potential places to live. Once we get some of the honey-do list done, and have our retirement party, we'll get to that again! I might have to hit you up for some of those online tools that you use! Thanks!

Old 05-22-2022, 02:12 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
A couple of friends have built [a 3/2] just now for less [than $500K].
I find this difficult to believe.
The only lots I see are $203K.
2000 sqft at $400/sqft is another $800K.
My house would have basement (BuildBlock Building Systems), metal roof, solar panels, triple-pane windows, R-40 walls, R-60 ceiling, radiant floor heating, Sub-Zero fridges, Toto wall-hung toilets, etc.

Last edited by davebarnes; 05-22-2022 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-22-2022, 02:20 PM

18,714 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techy02 View Post
I suppose. A smaller 3/2?

Three different 3/2ish (pretty sure) houses have sold the last couple years in my small neighborhood. All over 500k. Surprising they can be had in Ridgway for that.

Sorry, I meant in Montrose. No one is building smaller around here except me.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:04 PM

111 posts, read 131,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techy02 View Post
500k isn't unreasonable. Just depends on what you want. Start getting into any kind of acreage or bigger house and things start shooting up. Without knowing details, 600k would probably get you into something you'd be plenty happy with. 500k would work if you look around. Smaller 3/2 size house on a lot.

Put a realtor to work. I don't think you need to go as high as 900k unless you want something really nice. It's the 300 to 450k maybe 500k range that sells quick and aren't many available it seems.

Good luck to you
Personally, I'd like to have some acreage - maybe somewhere between 2-100 acres! LOL! Five might be nice. I realize with more acreage comes increased cost, similar to larger house. Was thinking 2,000sf at one point, but maybe 1,500 is just fine, depending on other factors. Everything is negotiable at this point. I know very high on my wife's list are to have great views of big mountains, and peace (listen to nature, not road noise, ATVs, noisy neighbors, etc.). That might not be very negotiable!

Don't really want to put a realtor to work just yet. First, we have to narrow down WHERE we want to end up. We'll get to that.....eventually. Not in a major hurry at this point. Also, hoping prices will drop a bit. We'll see.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:47 AM

125 posts, read 100,125 times
Just saw a 1700 square foot dried in (unfinished) house small lot in town is 370k. Gives you an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado