Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 11:45 AM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times

Advertisements

https://gazette.com/opinion/perspect...d87a41579.html

Last month, Mayor Michael Hancock’s office reached out to me about jointly working on a regional approach to the growing problem of homelessness in the Denver metro area and I agreed. However, I felt I didn’t have a good understanding of the issue so I decided to go homeless for a week in Aurora and Denver to better understand the challenges.

From noon on Saturday, Dec. 26 to noon on Saturday, Jan. 2, I had nothing more than one set of clothes, an extra pair of socks, a field jacket, a back pack, a sleeping bag, tarp, a tooth brush, tooth paste, soap, a towel, and two water bottles. I didn’t carry money or food.

The greatest challenge was ....

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-05-2021 at 09:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 05:05 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,874 times
Wow, I am shocked that this piece was even published. This does not fit the narrative that has been pushed for a long time.

A friend has been a police officer in Denver for over 20 years. He has always said that what Coffman concluded is correct. Most homeless stay homeless because of drug use and they have no desire to change their situation. If you give a truly down-and-out person who's not on drugs 3 months they will be off the streets.

That's why the homelessness problem in many cities can't be fixed. People think that if you just spend enough money to house everyone the problem will be solved. Instead you'll just create official communities of trashed units and crime. And you'll just attract more homeless.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:12 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Very, very interesting.

I have the desire to do this myself...

Granted I've volunteered at the shelters for hours. Good people.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:02 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
Wow, I am shocked that this piece was even published. This does not fit the narrative that has been pushed for a long time.

A friend has been a police officer in Denver for over 20 years. He has always said that what Coffman concluded is correct. Most homeless stay homeless because of drug use and they have no desire to change their situation. If you give a truly down-and-out person who's not on drugs 3 months they will be off the streets.

That's why the homelessness problem in many cities can't be fixed. People think that if you just spend enough money to house everyone the problem will be solved. Instead you'll just create official communities of trashed units and crime. And you'll just attract more homeless.
This is also just a few anecdotal experiences as opposed to some kind of widespread research.
And even if they trash their new home, its still a home.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:58 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
So their drug of choice is crystal meth.

How do we currently educate young people about the danger of this drug?

I really can't understand how anybody that is properly informed would choose meth.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:20 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This is also just a few anecdotal experiences as opposed to some kind of widespread research.
And even if they trash their new home, its still a home.
But trashed homes will still need to be up to code so who's going to pay for that?

Not to mention, will they have rules about drug use in public housing? I know of a nearby low-income/tax break apartment building. Due to rules implemented during the Obama administration no smoking is allowed in any government-funded housing unit. This caused an uproar because people had to smoke outside. They complained that their rights were being infringed upon because they couldn't smoke in their units. So if regular smoking isn't allowed, how will they police people smoking meth?

Old 01-25-2021, 07:40 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,724 times
I always felt it was a lifestyle choice and its by no coincidence that more liberal cities that pander to the homeless have a bigger problem (Denver, LA, Seattle). I think this is a way to buy votes IMO. Libs want you to think its bad luck or the economy and GOP says this....And if you go with that mantra the left screams at you. Some people are just lazy.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:42 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
So their drug of choice is crystal meth.

How do we currently educate young people about the danger of this drug?

I really can't understand how anybody that is properly informed would choose meth.
Easy....field trips to Denver. Just walk around a few blocks from Coors Field. Drugs are bad mkay.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:36 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
But trashed homes will still need to be up to code so who's going to pay for that?

Not to mention, will they have rules about drug use in public housing? I know of a nearby low-income/tax break apartment building. Due to rules implemented during the Obama administration no smoking is allowed in any government-funded housing unit. This caused an uproar because people had to smoke outside. They complained that their rights were being infringed upon because they couldn't smoke in their units. So if regular smoking isn't allowed, how will they police people smoking meth?
Well, by the same people that clean up encampments. Government employees or contractors.

No idea as this is all hypothetical.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:04 PM

4,030 posts, read 2,714,316 times
Well, I will give Coffman credit for trying this out. (I've thought about it, but I have this fear of getting 'lost in the system' and not being able to get back to my life.)

However, it seems he's focusing so hard on one particular group--the ones he determined are doing this as a 'lifestyle choice', that he's ignoring two other groups--the mentally ill and the unemployed--have genuine problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado