Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 10:23 AM

6 posts, read 15,005 times

Advertisements

We will be coming to Estes Park in August for vacation and our budget is limited, we would wait till we were able to save more but we have to get away and so that time is now, I was hoping you might be able to give me some ideas of reasonable and nice places to stay, we would like to have a pool and hot tub but that's not necessary, this will be the first trip my boyfriend and I have taken together so I would like it to be cozy or romantic. Any advise you can give would be great. Oh and one more thing, is August the best time to come to Colorado or would July be better for in the future. Thank You!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,686 times
I have stayed at the Travelodge before and I found it to be one of the cheapest rates in town. It is located on the east side of town right on Hwy 34. It will be a plain hotel room, nothing special but clean and comfortable and it does have an outdoor pool. If you're in Estes Park you shouldn't be spending too much time in your hotel room anyway, there are plenty of opportunites around for you to be cozy and romantic. As far as the month, it doesn't really matter to me, anytime is good time to go to Colorado! I think there is also a Super 8 that would have cheaper rates. I know those are not the sexiest names in the hotel business, but in a tourist town like Estes Park they are good hotels that can offer a real good deal.

Last edited by tpabes; 05-07-2008 at 01:50 PM..

Old 05-09-2008, 06:39 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,496 times
Wink Timing can be important

The good news is that the setting of Estes Park and adjacent Rocky Mountain National Park are gorgeous. The bad news is that come summer you are unlikely to find reasonably priced lodging. The high season, when by far the majority of tourists visit, is from mid May to mid August. If you have the option the latter half of August promises less congestion and possibly better lodging rates. Depends on the establishment, and many may not lower their rates until mid September.

As an outside possibility you might want to consider the nearby communities of Longmont or Loveland for lodging. Either is close enough to be practical in commuting to Estes Park, but while you could certainly save some on lodging if at all possible better to be centrally located in Estes Park.

Aside from money, you have a lot of fine lodging options in Estes Park as tourism is so vital to its economy. There lots of choices in motels, cabins and small resorts.

One possibility in the motel category would be the Tyrol Mountain Inn:
http://tyrolmountaininn.com/index.htm

Located about a mile east of town center on US 34, this is a traditional two story motel that used to be a Days Inn. It is far enough removed that you would probably wish to drive into town, but being on the crest of a ridge most of the second story rooms will enjoy a superb view of Estes Park and the mountains directly to the west. Empty in winter, their small pool probably operational come summer; I do not believe they have a hot tub. The rooms are comfortable, although know management could care less if one of your neighbors spends all morning warming up their diesel pickup truck. There are also some residences being built nearby, so consider possible noise of construction. The daily rate probably about $100, although at least in winter they offer a very reasonable monthly rate, if this an option.

In the cabin category you might wish to consider Bradshaw Cottages:
Bradshaw Cottages

As they only have a few cottages, you would almost certainly have to book in advance, although this time of year almost essential for anything. Centrally located, you could easily walk into town, just a few short blocks. Know that being in town and across the river from Highway 66 you may experience more road noise than you like, although this moderate. But although these cottages are compact and small they are also quite cute. Very Rocky Mountain. And also directly on the Big Thompson river. In many respects an ideal location. There is no pool or hot tub, but you might use public pools in Estes Park. The river, by the way, is too shallow, swift and cold for swimming, but otherwise lovely. Prices probably about $90 per night.

A resource you might try is a property management company such as Range Property Management:
Rocky Mountain Vacation Rental Property in Estes Park, Colorado, Range Property Management

This would be convenient, although most of their bookings probably geared towards families wishing some type of house for a week or so. They could best advise you, but bookings are probably by the week and possibly in the general range of $800 per.

Another option I'd like to mention to you is Swiftcurrent Lodge:
Estes Park Colorado: Swift Current Lodge and Cabins

This is basically a motel with a few cabins. Price range $80 to $135 per night. The main attraction would be location, as this establishment is directly at the old entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. Now but a dirt road leading to hiking trails, with only pedestrian access. But if you want to walk into the Park from your front door you would be hard pressed to do any better. This establishment is also directly on the banks of the Big Thompson river. The only caveat that the very busy YMCA is just beyond off Moraine Avenue. You won't see them, other than nearby on horseback, but you WILL a near continuous stream of resultant traffic. For this alone the best option to get a room as far removed from the nearby road as possible, and with luck the pleasant sound of the river might be your only lullaby. Not diesels. They have no pool but do have a hot tub near the river.

Restaurant prices in Estes Park are fairly uniform, although a few establishments such as the Stanley Hotel or the excellent Dunraven Inn (directly adjacent the Swiftcurrent Lodge) will cost appreciably more. But basically figure roughly $10 per meal per person. Per diem for lodging, unfortunately, will probably work out to about $100 per couple per night. Access to Rocky Mountain National Park is $20 per vehicle, good for 7 days. Or you might opt for a park pass good for one year and entry to any national park in the US, priced at $80. Beyond that, lots of moderately priced tourist shops in Estes Park, should you like trinkets. Expect petrol prices to be a bit above average.

You might experience some thunderstorms that time of year but basically the weather is lovely. But cool nights, so a light jacket advisable. Short pants and sleeves perfectly practical during the day.

With some research you should be able to find lodging to largely suite you, if not exactly a bargain. Check the calendar closely (ie: Scottish/Irish Highland Festival), and remember September is one of the best months.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:58 PM

137 posts, read 424,342 times
This is where I stayed when in Estes Park. The famous Stanley Hotel The Stanley Hotel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think it's cheap but a lot of history and character in that place.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:59 PM

61 posts, read 301,177 times
We vacation in Estes Park a couple of times a year and have found great service (basic, affordable, clean) at the Best Western. It's only about a half mile down the street from all the main shops and we've always been pleased with it. They have a good free continental breakfast in the mornings too.
Like another poster said, you probably won't be spending THAT much time in your hotel room anyway. There are a lot of lodges, inns, "resorts" and the like in Estes - but some are terribly out dated and overpriced. We've always stuck with an affordable chain hotel (the Holiday Inn there is nice too, despite some of it's less than perfect reviews on trip advisor).
Go with something you can afford and spend your time (and money) on the outdoors activities, shopping & dining. (that's my advice).

Have a great time, Estes is a really nice place to getaway to!!

Joy

Old 05-13-2008, 12:16 PM

6 posts, read 15,005 times
Thank you all for your advice, it is very helpful! I just can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado