Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 04:53 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times

Advertisements

The police helicopters were sold off in 2010 during the recession and I don't think they've returned, thus that part of the story is at least ten years old and a lot has changed. I lived 11 years in the Pine Creek area, left in 2016, and the S.E. part of the city was the least desirable area but not sure how it is today.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 05:32 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,569,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Having lived in CS's south-east side a couple of different times myself, my experience is quite the opposite of yours. I certainly agree it is not the nicest place to be, but I never experienced the list of issues you encountered. Do they exist there, they probably do, but wow. Sounds like you picked a particularly vile apartment complex in which to reside.

Also, to keep this Grand Junction centered, the crime rate you linked to shows every city I checked, to include GJ, in the yellow rating. Even some upscale places like Aspen and Boulder fell into this similar rating. Seems like CO overall is a pretty nasty place to live.
Sorry, this was in response to the poster who wasn't aware of the high crime in CS. I thought sharing my own experience would be proof that there is indeed a problem with crime especially in that specific area. Other areas of the Springs were much better though, per the link I provided if you scroll down. But I didn't have a car at the time, and rode the bus, and walked which can show a whole different side of life.

This was off of Chelton, and Fountain Blvd around 12 yrs ago. Hopefully it has been cleaned up since then. It was a 55, and over complex which was relatively quiet itself, and wasn't that bad itself till the woman with the crazy kid, and his cohorts moved in. They did get evicted though after the shooting. You can search for whatever city's crime rate to see what other sites have to say about each one. Some charts are easier to read for me than others.

While saving to move, and having work done on the van to get it shipshape I'm researching a bunch of different places which includes the western slope as possibilities. No place really feels right though. But it's good to see what people say about each one, including GJ. I like what people are saying about it. Rifle looks cute too. Quieter is better as the front range is way too built up. I'm in eastern Oregon now in a town of 2,000, and there isn't much to do, but it IS quiet which is nice. A happy medium would be best I suppose.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:41 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
I think GJ would give you that happy medium, hoping you can visit and see for yourself.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The police helicopters were sold off in 2010 during the recession and I don't think they've returned, thus that part of the story is at least ten years old and a lot has changed. I lived 11 years in the Pine Creek area, left in 2016, and the S.E. part of the city was the least desirable area but not sure how it is today.
Yes, it was about 12 yrs ago, give, or take. I'm shocked that they sold off the helicopters. It seems like they used them all the time. I ended up at that place because I answered their ad, and the rent was affordable, but didn't know it was so bad there. I had moved from the Denver metro area. I had "owned" a home in Security from 1999 to 2001 which was relatively quiet, mostly military, not that far away.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I think GJ would give you that happy medium, hoping you can visit and see for yourself.
Thank you. Yes visiting would be ideal, but I live on SS only, and will be 73 this Friday. It's a cash flow thing, lol. I have a portable section 8, and have to find one that accepts 2 pets which complicates things a bunch. Anyways, thank God for the internet. I will continue reading what others have to say about GJ, and other places too.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:57 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,885,270 times
While we're on the subject of crime - Grand Junction's police chief stated that volent crime in Grand Junction went up 36% last year.

https://kool1079.com/grand-junction-crime-problem/

Old 03-17-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
While we're on the subject of crime - Grand Junction's police chief stated that volent crime in Grand Junction went up 36% last year.

https://kool1079.com/grand-junction-crime-problem/
Yikes, that is a real shame. That is a very big jump.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:15 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,698,410 times
Careful with percentages. I suggest anyone wanting to see the real numbers Google it. The actual number of incidents is actually low.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:49 PM

9,121 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Grand Junction, CO has the #1 lowest number of natural disasters reported than all the other cities in the United States. West of Rocky Mountain makes a tremendous difference in weather and stability.
/source?

Old 04-04-2021, 07:32 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,698,410 times
Saw this graphic this morning. Thought it was interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Grand Junction that bad?-cffb0d48-3e52-4201-a5b0-75e1bd8daed1.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado