Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2021, 07:52 PM

21 posts, read 28,558 times

Advertisements

Highway 13 runs along a valley between Rifle and Meeker. Does that valley have a name? Follow-up: are the mountain ranges on either side of the valley named?

Thanks,
Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 08:50 PM

8,590 posts, read 14,744,667 times
I don't know if it has an official name. I couldn't find anything on a couple topo maps I looked at. It's right on the border of the Grand Hogback and the Piceance Basin. Sheep Creek flows through the northern part of the valley, and Government Creek is on the southern side.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:46 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
My guess is it might be called The White River Valley since the White River runs through Meeker and half the things in town are named White River ____________ fill in the blank. But the White River does not flow along Hwy 13, it heads west and goes out to Ouray, UT where it dumps into the Green River. Yes, there is a Ouray in Utah.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:58 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,592,396 times
I thought people referred to the area in a larger sense as the Flat Tops.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:01 PM

8,590 posts, read 14,744,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
My guess is it might be called The White River Valley since the White River runs through Meeker and half the things in town are named White River ____________ fill in the blank. But the White River does not flow along Hwy 13, it heads west and goes out to Ouray, UT where it dumps into the Green River. Yes, there is a Ouray in Utah.
Yeah the White River Valley goes along CO-64 between Meeker and Rangely. It's much more well-defined than the region the OP is referring to.

Old 03-12-2021, 03:17 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,524,293 times
It’s odd; looking at it from satellite view, it’s a somewhat prominent feature, but I can’t find any name for it, even through the USGS database. The Grand Hogback runs along the whole eastern side of that valley, which itself is the western edge of the Flat Tops region. The ridges west of that valley which form the edge of what bluescreen calls the Piceance Basin don’t appear to be named either.

I propose it be called the Rosada Gap. It’s the passage between the Colorado (effectively “red”) River and the White River basins. Red + white = pink, which is rosada in Spanish, following the pattern of how Rio Blanco County was named.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,190 times
I moved to Meeker fairly recently, but I pay pretty close attention to these sorts of details. The original question is somewhat misleading because it would be better to refer to the area in question as a “pass,” not a “valley” (the whole region is a bit confusing because multiple creeks seem to cross mountain ranges and/or flow into plateaus, rather than sticking to apparent valleys: see Rifle Gap, Harvey Gap, Piceance Creek, Glenwood Canyon, Green River/Uintah Mountains, Yampa River, White River, etc., to name a bunch). Locals — at least on the Meeker side — refer to the pass crossed by Hwy 13 as Rio Blanco Hill. This may not be anything official, but it is in common usage. On the east is the Grand Hogback, as someone else stated, and on the west is the Roan Plateau forming the Piceance Basin. Some of the overall region is described well on the wiki page for the Uintah Basin, if anyone is looking to start down a rabbit trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado