Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 08:08 PM

28 posts, read 87,023 times

Advertisements

I just graduated from college and am currently looking for a job. I am almost 100% sure that I want to pick up and move to Colorado. I am currently living in Bar Harbor, ME which is great, don't get me wrong, but I need to get out of here for a little bit.

I have been looking for entry level Civil Engineering jobs on monster jobs, craigslist, careerbuilder and numerous other jobfinder websites. Most of the jobs that I have found are located in or around the Denver area.

The problem is, I don't think I am a city person. I enjoy driving myself where ever I'm going, I am not a big fan of public transportation.

My question is: What smaller cities do you suggest I look at when thinking of moving to Colorado?

I've read many threads on here about Durango, GJ, Loveland, Ft. Collins, Boulder and Colorado Springs. I am a 23 year old, single guy and the ability to meet single women is also a concern. I read that Durango is slowly turning into a place for retiree's, even though there is a local college there.

I guess I'm looking for a place that has a population around 15K - 75K.

Any advice or insight at all would be greatly appreciated. This forum is great by the way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 08:38 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Default Some thoughts....

Golden (college town, Col Sch of Mines)

Boulder (college town, but pricey)

Fort Collins (college town, more conventional, less liberal than Boulder)

All of the above are far enough away from Denver to have their own identity.

Still, you might like city living in Denver, it can be very civilized. You can meet a lot of nice young ladies on a trolley...and since you would not have to focus on driving...you could focus on them instead... and they do appreciate that...

Living near the main train station, in the LoDo section of Denver puts you by the ski train, which can take you into the mountains for endless fun and lots of young ladies like to ski...you wouldn't be driving....so you could focus on them... gee, got a theme going here... and the scenery on that train ride is awesome to say the least....Winter Park is gorgeous...and if you drink too much...you just ride the train home....very civilized indeed....

That LoDo area includes the 16th Street Mall, no cars, pedestrian only, runs for miles from the train station (where the light rail also has stops) to the state capitol area. FREE bus stops every block. Tons of eateries, coffee shops....brew pubs.... shopping...walking distance to Pepsi Center.... walking distance to Coors Field (pro baseball)... short trolley ride to Invesco Field (pro football)... very civilized indeed... lots of young ladies hang out around that 16th street corridor... and since you wouldn't be driving... you could....

Old 12-30-2006, 08:49 PM

thanks mike.

I like how you mentioned women numerous times in your post. You definitely got my attention.

So say I wanted to get out of the city for a weekend. How's the traffic leaving and coming back into the city? How long does it usually take to get into the country side and/or the mountains? I just bought an FJ Cruiser, and I know I am gonna want to go cruising in it as much as I can

Old 12-30-2006, 09:10 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
From Denver, the big road heading west into the mountains is I-70. Gets quite heavy on Friday afternoon outbound, Sunday evening inbound, but the big roads out of any big city do that everywhere every Friday. You should see them fleeing DC on a Friday evening...so glad I'm outta THAT mess, as soon as we retired we headed west.

I had to google FJ Cruiser....dude...you are READY for the Colorado thing... anywhere along the front range.... and way back in the high country... and the sand dunes down south... there are clubs you can join for that sort of thing.... my nephew in Denver is in one.... he hires out to take people on back road trips... I've a creampuff Grand Cherokee, don't do much with it away from paved roads, but have been up on Rampart Range Road, which seems to be an old Forest Service dirt road that meanders for many miles along the mountain ridge from Woodland Park (Colorado Springs) up to the Denver area, in the Pike National Forest, mostly dirt, washboard, a few ruts on the side roads off of it, but popular with a lot of guys.

You face the classic dilemma...do I live near where I work, which means I drive a little 5x per week for work and a fair amount 1x week to go play, or, do I live near where I play and drive a LOT 5x per week to work and a little 1x per week to play. I'd opt to live in-town, most of the young ladies are intown, not out in the boonies hugging trees. See them in town all week, take them with you to the mountains on the weekends....plan plan plan. IMO, not a good thing to wear out a nice set of wheels commuting in it 5xweek, save it for the weekends, vehicles are expensive...think smart.

Lastly, focus on them. They don't wanna hear us guys motor mouthing about how great we are at work or yadda yadda yadda. It's a great time to be young, single, educated, and healthy, as the number of really neat young women out there is amazing. Denver is the Mother Lode of opportunity for you. Happy mining, prospector.

s/Mike

Old 12-30-2006, 09:27 PM

Mike,

I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you very much!

You definitely have convinced me to give city life a try. I can always move out of the city if I absolutely hate it. But I have a feeling I'll probably learn to love it.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to even imagine the traffic heading outbound of D.C. on a friday afternoon. That would give me an anxiety attack just thinking about it.

Well I guess I'll start sending out some resumes to some businesses in the Denver area.

Thanks again Mike!

Old 12-30-2006, 11:03 PM

157 posts, read 649,259 times
Hey BodenTA,

I'm a young single guy in Durango, so maybe I can help with Dgo and just a little with GJ.

In GJ for a weekend in Nov. - kinda cool. Population of about 45K, whole area about 120K. The downtown is growing with some restaurants and pubs that were fun - seemed to be a young, active, feel - I guess its all about what you're used to. Mesa State College - about 4-5K students I think. I hear job opportunities are growing. If you don't mind my asking what kind of work are you looking for? Rents are quite a bit cheaper than in Dgo or Boulder. Mountain forrests, slickrock, deserty terain are all close - Moab, Utah is only about a 90 minute drive - the FJ would love you for taking it there. I also had the pleasure of meeting more than a few beautiful single girls in my weekend stay.

Dgo (pop about 15K, area about 60K) - don't let retirees be your picture - this is an active town - I still prefer over GJ - consider Fort Lewis College and Durango Mountain (ski) Resort. Higher rent costs and a smaller quantity of available jobs, not so much retirees, may keep singles away in the future. If you really don't want a city, Dgo is fun - if you are looking to go "clubbing" on the weekends, not so much - some really good places to hang out and have a good time, though. If you want outdoor activities - hard to beat. My opinion: Dgo has way more than its share of beautiful single women (think active, fit, intelligent, thoughtful, and fun). The quantity is nothing like Den, Boulder, etc., though. I have heard it said that Dgo is a little Boulder - that might give you an idea.

All of this being said, Mike may have just convinced me to move to the Denver/Boulder/FC area . Gotta admit he makes good points - LoDo is a lot of fun, its still in the beautiful Rocky Mtns, lots to do, lots of single women - several national magazines have named the area the best place for singles to live ... hmmm. My advice would be to check Den/Boulder/FC out first (inclucing suburbs). If you still don't see yourself in the city, then look into Dgo or maybe GJ.

So, Mike, let me make sure I got this right - "focus on the girls"? I gotta remember that.

BodenTA, please let me know if I can help more with info on Dgo.

dgoboy

Old 12-30-2006, 11:38 PM

hey dgoboy,

thanks for your insight. I am looking for a job in the Civil Engineering industry. I found two job openings at the same company in Durango and was thinking about applying for them. I just wanted to make sure what I was getting myself into if I did get a job offer in that area.

It's good to hear that Durango isn't all about retiree's, like I was picturing I definitely don't want to move to a place that is slack in the single women department. Living where I live now, during the winter the town shuts down and all the ladies my age go back to college or hide out in the larger towns/cities, so my friends and I are stuck ogling the one or two girls at the bar.

Yeah GJ seems a little bit too dry for my taste. I grew up near the ocean and the desert-like terrain is not really my idea of a good time. I need some woods and green stuff to make up for the loss of the ocean. Plus Durango is surrounded by beautiful mountains.

How many bars are there in Durango? I'm not a big partier or "clubber". I hate dancing, but I do enjoy going out and having a local brew or two while mingling. Just wondering if there are a few places like that in Durango. I would assume so, since there is a college in the area.

What are there for stores in the area. Is it easy to get mostly anything you may need in your daily life? Or would you need to drive an hour or two to get to a home depot or a Discount Tire type place? Where i live now, i have to drive 30 minutes to get to a walmart which is fine by me and an hour to get to a target/staples/Best Buy. So i'm used to it, I'd rather live a little ways away from those places, i'm not a big fan of commercialization/mcdonaldization.

thanks in advance!

Boden

Old 12-31-2006, 12:56 AM

476 posts, read 2,310,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodenTA View Post
How many bars are there in Durango? I'm not a big partier or "clubber". I hate dancing, but I do enjoy going out and having a local brew or two while mingling. Just wondering if there are a few places like that in Durango. I would assume so, since there is a college in the area. What are there for stores in the area. Is it easy to get mostly anything you may need in your daily life? Or would you need to drive an hour or two to get to a home depot or a Discount Tire type place? Where i live now, i have to drive 30 minutes to get to a walmart which is fine by me and an hour to get to a target/staples/Best Buy. So i'm used to it, I'd rather live a little ways away from those places, i'm not a big fan of commercialization/mcdonaldization.

Boden

I am jumping in and giving some info. Dgoboy is really right on on everything he is saying on what I know about the area too. About bars, my friend gave me a Durango phone book so here is the bars listed plus I have visited some. There is a real cool little bar called Diamond Belle Saloon that is like going back in time. Just kinda cool. Lots of music in Durango with jazz, bluegrass, rock and roll, just about every kind of music playing there. Ok, here are the bars listed. I will add something if I have been to them:
Aspen Cafe and Bar
The Ball Park - I think a sports bar?
Billygoat Saloon - my friend and me went there and it is in Gem Village, I think the name of that little town near Durango. Kinda rough when we went and I was kinda scared but I am a girly girl so...!
Carver Brewing Co. - actually like this place.
Christina Bar and Grill - nice place
Diamond Belle - the "Gambler" type of bar
El Rancho
Joels - my friend has been there, I havent, she likes it
Francisco's Cantina - I love the food here at Franciscos and their cantina is a good quick stop for us girls for a quick margarita or such!
Lady Falconburghs
Lost Dogs has a large dance floor, I havent been yet so cant comment.
Off The Vine
Orios Roadhouse
Quiet Lady Tavern
Solid Muldoons, I think this is the one a lot of college students go to isnt it Dgoboy?
Steamworks Brewing CO. - I LIKE this place!
The Summit
The Office Spiritorium Bar
Wild Horse Saloon - looks country to me but I dont know.

There are other bars around in other towns too around Durango. One in Mancos is The Columbine Bar among others in those towns.
Lots of restaurants in Durango have bar areas too. Lots of great restaurants. The best in any small city I have ever been. Lots of girls, lots of young people. Get out of your head about retirees. I see young people everywhere. I dont think Durango would have an ice rink, skate park and tons of youth oriented stuff if it was all retirees. The city rocks for its size and it has one happening downtown, not dead at all but really vibrant. Dogboy please add more as you know more than I do but I do know Durango has tons of young men and women. Lots of good looking dudes in Durango, single, fit and trim too, Ok, I am allowed since the guys mention the foxy girls, k!

Good stores. Super Walmart, Home Depot, Kroegers Hardware, Albertsons, 2 City Markets, Linen n Things, Pier One, Office Depot, Pennys, Dunlaps, among other stores. Farmington, an hour away where I live has the most stores in the 4 Corners region. You can find anything in Farmington. SuperTarget, 2 Super Walmarts, Best Buy, and lots others, too many to mention and a good size mall with Dillards, Sears and so on. Oh yeah, Durango has all the tire places, oil change places and auto parts stores you will ever need, Auto Zone, Checker, and so on. Durango has a healthy balance of both mom and pop stores and a vibrant downtown yet has the others too. So a good balance. Their community is really a strong community where they stick together and keep the mom and pop stores in business and yet can still keep the others going too.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:46 AM

I_LUVNM,

You definitely just answered all my questions. Wow! Thanks a bunch.

Now i am really torn between trying the city life in denver or going with my gut and moving to Durango where it's more of a small town feel, which i am accustomed too.

I guess either way, I can always move to the other place. I could always find a job in Denver, but it would probably be more difficult to find a job in Durango.

What i should really do is fly there and visit both places, but being from maine and fresh out of college, i don't really have the expenses to do so

Old 01-01-2007, 11:15 PM

476 posts, read 2,310,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodenTA View Post
I_LUVNM,

You definitely just answered all my questions. Wow! Thanks a bunch.

Now i am really torn between trying the city life in denver or going with my gut and moving to Durango where it's more of a small town feel, which i am accustomed too.

I guess either way, I can always move to the other place. I could always find a job in Denver, but it would probably be more difficult to find a job in Durango.

What i should really do is fly there and visit both places, but being from maine and fresh out of college, i don't really have the expenses to do so
Well, you might rent an apartment in Durango for a few months and see if you can get a job and if not, you can move on to Denver. Durango has lots of apartments. Denver is just too big for me. I like a smaller place too. Durango has been growing a lot lately with lots of new jobs so you stand a good chance on finding something. You can also live in Farmington, like I do an hour away. It is a large city for New Mexico and has many jobs and then later move over to Durango.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado